Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tomb of Odysseus found

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DesertHistorian View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DesertHistorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tomb of Odysseus found
    Posted: 13-May-2007 at 16:15
I do not know if this has been posted previously. I did look and did not see anything in regard to this topic, so if I missed something and am re-posting an older topic, please excuse the oversight.
I do think this is worthy of discussion. It does give evidence that there is more to myths than just being "old stories".

For full article:

Archeologists make historic discovery The tomb of Odysseus has been found
Saturday, August 27, 2005
By Thomas Elias - Columnist - The Madera Tribune
POROS, Island of Kefalonia, Greece - The tomb of Odysseus has been found, and the location of his legendary capital city of Ithaca discovered here on this large island across a one-mile channel from the bone-dry islet that modern maps call Ithaca.

This could be the most important archeological discovery of the last 40 years, a find that may eventually equal the German archeologist Heinrich Schliemanns 19th Century dig at Troy. But the quirky people and politics involved in this achievement have delayed by several years the process of reporting the find to the world.

Yet visitors to Kefalonia, an octopus-shaped island off the west coast of Greece, can see the evidence for themselves at virtually no cost.

The discovery of what is almost certainly his tomb reveals that crafty Odysseus, known as Ulysses in many English renditions of Homers Iliad and Odyssey, was no mere myth, but a real person. Plus, passages in the Odyssey itself suggest that modern Ithaca and its main town of Vathi probably were not the city and island of which Homer wrote.

Rather, this small village of Poros on the southeast coast of Kefalonia now occupies part of a site that most likely was the much larger city which served as capital of the multi-island kingdom ruled by Odysseus and his father Laertes.

Archeologists have long and often times looked for evidence of Odysseus on modern Ithaca, but never found anything significant from the Bronze Age. This led many scholars to dismiss Homers version of Ionian island geography as strictly a literary creation.

But two pieces of fairly recent evidence suggest archeologists were looking in the wrong place. In 1991, a tomb of the type used to bury ancient Greek royalty was found near the hamlet of Tzannata in the hills outside Poros. It is the largest such tomb in northeastern Greece, with remains of at least 72 persons found in its stone niches.

One find there is particularly telling. In Book XIX of the Odyssey, the just-returned and still disguised Odysseus tells his wife (who may or may not realize who shes talking to; Homer is deliberately ambivalent) that he encountered Odysseus many years earlier on the island of Crete. He describes in detail a gold brooch the king wore on that occasion.
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2007 at 04:04
Well, i can only be syspicious. The issue of where Odysseus homeland really was is a matter of "clash" between the Ionian islands, especially those of the Central Ionian Sea (Kefallonia, Ithaci etc)
 Post Reply Post Reply