Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who do Britons Consider Closer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Who do Britons Consider Closer
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
18 [46.15%]
4 [10.26%]
1 [2.56%]
6 [15.38%]
9 [23.08%]
1 [2.56%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who do Britons Consider Closer
    Posted: 22-May-2007 at 22:35
Survey says it all.

Have the British become Europeans or do they still look towards the empire and commonwealth as their closer friends.

Facility has been made in this poll for both British and non-British members to vote.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2007 at 04:37
The dominions of course! Compare the number of Brits who migrate or go backbacking in Australia to anywhere else!
Dan Carkner View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2007 at 08:45
Where's the USA, their biggest ex-colony and closest ally? ;)
Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2007 at 09:20
Originally posted by Dan Carkner

Where's the USA, their biggest ex-colony and closest ally? ;)

Except politics, I don't think that there is much appreciation shared between the americans and the brits.

Give me a place to stand and I will move the world.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2007 at 09:35
Originally posted by Constantine XI

The dominions of course! Compare the number of Brits who migrate or go backbacking in Australia to anywhere else!

Interesting in how the Brits voted and how foriegners percieve them, eh!

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2007 at 09:52
Originally posted by Paul

Originally posted by Constantine XI

Interesting in how the Brits voted and how foriegners percieve them, eh!

I hold dual British and Australian citizenship, I should get two votes!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2007 at 18:55

...hard to vote really for me, i don't consider myself British at all, i am English, and at times, i don't feel particularly close to the English either....

....not out of any perceived personal notions of 'unfriendliness', or even a lack of 'solidarity' through language/history/culture etc....i take each person as they come, no matter which country they originate from....i AM English, but i feel close to those who feel close to me......

....in my experience, i have been often closer to 'foreigners' than i have to my own countrymen....but then again, i have found some individuals to be unlikeable from every nationality i have encountered....i do not feel like i 'share' a close tie to any particular 'group' or country.....weird....Confused....
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2007 at 18:59
Oh, well put AoO.

Clap

I don't consider myself British either but I chose option 5 because I feel that they are on a more similar wave length than aussies and americans etc in GENERAL, who seem to have their heads up in the clouds most of the time.

I have an aussie couple staying with me just now and i find it hard to connect with them.
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2007 at 01:23
I don't think the people of the USA should be placed in the same category as the former dominions such as Canada, Australia etc. A very different society with a very different relationship to its "mother country".
New User View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote New User Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2007 at 06:45

English, British and European....thats how I see myself.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2007 at 10:56
I'm British and still think that Britons in general feel closer to the dominions than to Europe (or the US).

But on a point of detail, I think you should include the Falklands with the dominions (despite their being technically a colony).
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2007 at 12:02
What does Britain have to do with EU or Europe?They even drive differently, not mention politics!LOLWink
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2007 at 12:16
We fund the beggar nations.

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2007 at 12:17
I suppose that's one similarity......Tongue
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2007 at 12:20
So Greece is now putting more in the pot than it's taking, finally?

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2007 at 12:25
Well, now yes.Approve Our funds have been cut down for Eastern European needs.

Edited by Spartakus - 26-May-2007 at 12:25
Athanasios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2007 at 14:45
I consider britons as the coolest personsCool.When it's summer, in my country , they are the most cheerful turists. Especially the girlsTongue.  

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2007 at 18:25
Continent. But then i'm kind of a hybridy type person, having lived in both, so i can't be said to represent the average Brit.
Arrrgh!!"
Kamikaze 738 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Kamikaze 738 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2007 at 21:06
Im not British but I see that they should be closer to their former colonies of Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc... European Union is basically all the mainland but I do see a close relationship with them, its just that I see Britain's true colors are with their former colonies.
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2007 at 05:23
I suppose The British feel closer to The Middle East, as they never left here!

Edited by TheDiplomat - 04-Jun-2007 at 05:24
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>