Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Kārlis Ulmanis- The Husband of Latvia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kārlis Ulmanis- The Husband of Latvia
    Posted: 08-Jul-2007 at 13:04
Kārlis Ulmanis was the most prominent politician of Latvia during the Interwar period. He was the Latvian  authoritarian of the 30s. But everybody seemed pleasant with his rule, as Latvia was experiencing the heighest rates of standarts of living in Europe at that time.

An ardent nationalist, he had no wife and children. He once said that he was married to Latvia. Therefore I refered to him as the husband of Latvia in the title..

My questions for those familiar with Latvian history are that how would you rate him overall? Do you agree with the way he ruled the country? would you critisize him not to show any resistance to the Soviet forces?

Edited by TheDiplomat - 08-Jul-2007 at 13:06
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

kurt View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote kurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2007 at 22:27
Originally posted by TheDiplomat

would you critisize him not to show any resistance to the Soviet forces?
Well, look what happened to the Hungarians when they resisted. Not a pleasing choice, but the best choice nontheless.
kurt View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote kurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2007 at 22:30
Besides, who would want to resist Stalin? 50 million soviet dead during his reign, somehow i don't think he was concerned about the ethics of his rule.

Also, peaceful communist rule must have seemed very appealing after five years of the eastern front in world war two. I've read about a lot of wars, but nothing i've read is as horrible as the Soviet Nazi war.
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2007 at 19:31
Sure there are middle-aged idealists in Estonia these days talking crap about the Estonian leading politicians who "sold" the people out in 1940. and then speak of some utopian war against the USSR comparing us with Finland in some respect. Well the Baltic Union could have happened but our armies were still weaker than Finland's and any how the union didn't come to be, so we couldn't fight any war.

It wasn't a bad decision for Ulmanis to raise no arms. Estonia caved first anyway and after one falls you aren't going to do much anymore anyway. It wasn't as simple as saying "we'll have war" and that had made you a national hero as Mannerheim for the Finns. These stupid modern day patriots wine and moan, but i don't know, it wasn't 1918-1919. anymore - the USSR was messed up as it always was, but it was not in a civil war this time with a dozen armies + the Baltics against the bolsheviks.

Edited by Kalevipoeg - 14-Jul-2007 at 19:32
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2007 at 19:46

Thanks for the insight, Kalev's son :)

I agree with your view. However, in such a case, The Russian offical thesis that they liberated the Baltics and the Baltic countries made agreements would not have any valid side.
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2007 at 06:41
Yes, but the initial treaty that allowed Soviet troops to enter the Baltics "for our own protection" was already broken by Stalin after the troops arrived across the border (at least in Estonia) when he brought in more troops than the two countries had agreed upon.

And the June 1940. coup was also breaking everything that was agreed upon. Fake crowds cheering for a revolution against the capitalist national Estonian government of Pts while comfortably at gun point you appoint a puppet government yourself, didn't leave the people much choice and all of that had nothing to do with the bases treaty of 1939.

Estonia allowed 25,000 Soviet soldiers with certain areas for their bases to enter the country officially for protection, the Soviets broke every rule of the treaty in every way, even using Estonia for bombing raids against Finland.

Edited by Kalevipoeg - 15-Jul-2007 at 06:43
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2007 at 15:22
Originally posted by TheDiplomat

Kārlis Ulmanis was the most prominent politician of Latvia during the Interwar period. He was the Latvian  authoritarian of the 30s. But everybody seemed pleasant with his rule, as Latvia was experiencing the heighest rates of standarts of living in Europe at that time.

An ardent nationalist, he had no wife and children. He once said that he was married to Latvia. Therefore I refered to him as the husband of Latvia in the title..

My questions for those familiar with Latvian history are that how would you rate him overall? Do you agree with the way he ruled the country? would you critisize him not to show any resistance to the Soviet forces?

Overall I rate him neutral, nothing clearly positive or negative with his rule.

His rule was miserable, comical, corrupted, but it wasn't tyrannical.  It was possible to compound with it.

No one criticizes him that he didn't ordered to resist against SU forces, otherwise the Latvian population bloodshed would be inevitable.
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2007 at 15:25
Originally posted by kurt

Also, peaceful communist rule must have seemed very appealing after five years of the eastern front in world war two. I've read about a lot of wars, but nothing i've read is as horrible as the Soviet Nazi war.

Certainly not, the pre-war Latvia was pretty poor, but under the SU rule you would think that the life in pre WWII Latvia was like paradise.

Edited by axeman - 18-Jul-2007 at 15:27
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2007 at 11:24
Indeed, although peace came, Soviet power enforced collectivization which ruined the local agricultural way of life. Compared to the West that arose fairly quickly after WW2 we (Baltics) remained under the economically retarded power. 
 Post Reply Post Reply