Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Charles V - Success or failure?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
HaloChanter View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote HaloChanter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Charles V - Success or failure?
    Posted: 17-Oct-2007 at 15:52
The reign of Charles V is one of the most fascinating reigns of the Early Modern Period - hopefully that is something we can all agree on. But what of its achievements?
Can we call the reign of Charles V one of success, or failure?

He stands in the memory as grand inheritor of all the habsburg territories at their greatest extent for the first - and last - time. As the last emperor to be crowned by the Pope, he stands in the Charlemagne tradition of his forebears.

Romantic, chivalrous, medieval and yet in many ways the most modern of monarchs, many thought him the embodiment of Erasmus' Renaissance prince.

His reign saw the capture of the King of France, the retreat before his army of the Grand Turk, the pacification of Italy, and a European hegemony that encompassed land from the Americas to Spain, Italy to the Low Countries, Germany to Hungary - victories at Pavia, Tunis and Muhlberg.

And yet his reign was one of almost continuous warfare. If Muhlberg was his greatest triumph, Metz was his grandest failure. By the time of his abdication in 1555, the territories of his empire were utterly exhausted and on the brink of bankruptcy. France had been beaten, but not contained as Henri II's capture of the Imperial Free Cities showed, the Grand Turk could not be stopped as the second siege of Vienna showed and the constant ravaging of Christian coasts was testimony to the crusading failure. Despite the reduction of the Elector of Saxony and Margrave of Hesse, the Augsburg Interim could not be implemented and Protestantism beaten in the field but not eradicated from Germany.
But ultimately, Charles failed to keep his Habsburg territories united, and the breakdown of the succession with the desertion of Ferdinand and his son, Maximillian, signalled the end of Charles' World Monarchia.

So, do we judge Charles V on his successes, or his ultimate failures?

Thanks!
Kind regards,

HaloChanter
Samurai
Samurai

Quote HaloChanter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2007 at 11:02
Alas! What has it come to when nobody wishes to discuss the greatest figure in the Early Modern Period?

Ok, let me start by ruffling some feathers:

I think Charles's reign ended in unmitigated defeat. Any challengers? Wink
Kind regards,

HaloChanter
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2007 at 15:05
Charles V main sucess was in conquering the mainland Americas. In comparison, the failures in Europe are less important. At least one has an eurocentric view of the world, of course.
Samurai
Samurai

Quote HaloChanter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2007 at 15:11
Yes but in the context of Charles, not South America, he failed to have the Indians protected. And Charles was a European monarch, not a Spanish one. The Americas, though of great interest to him, was very much a sideline and only come in to Spanish policy properly in the reign of his son, Phllip II. So I think it's important to put it in a context of the time, and the topic. Eurocentricity is bad, but so is the other extreme.
Kind regards,

HaloChanter
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2007 at 03:56

This is another of the subjects I am not terribly knowledgable in but:   I would say Charles V failed overall.  Though from what I can see it was because he "bit off more than he could chew", that being the case he simply failed more spectacularly.  It seems he did win most of his military conflicts but that those successes didn't necessarily translate into his strategic goals.  Like the rooting out of protestantism. 

I think he simply wasn't able to properly unify his incredibly diverse holdings enough to allow him to take full advantage of his very considerable resources.

Edit:   Let me add that I think his reign was militarily very successful, it was in other fields that it was not.

Edited by Justinian - 21-Oct-2007 at 03:58
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2007 at 04:32
Originally posted by HaloChanter

Yes but in the context of Charles, not South America, he failed to have the Indians protected. And Charles was a European monarch, not a Spanish one. The Americas, though of great interest to him, was very much a sideline and only come in to Spanish policy properly in the reign of his son, Phllip II. So I think it's important to put it in a context of the time, and the topic. Eurocentricity is bad, but so is the other extreme.

Well, I have to agree. For me, and for us Latinos, what matters is Carlos V, the king that made the Spanish Empire, and at the same time we couldn't care less about that european monarch called Charles, that fought in Europe against protestants and that happen to share the same body with our king LOLLOL

Chovinism goes both ways...

In Spain and Latin America many blame the long term failure of Spain to the fact it was dominated by foreign monarchs...like Charly Big%20smile

Edited by pinguin - 21-Oct-2007 at 04:33
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2007 at 16:11
True, but there are other reasons how Charly made Spain more powerful. Yes he did make the Cortes (Spanish Parliment if you will) weaker by putting unambitious persons who only follow his commands, and through his reign he did not put up tariffs on foreign goods going into Spain thus lesser quality merchandise were in higher in demand than domestic goods which ruined the economy. But Charles was overall a good politician and made Spain look fantastic. That is until his heir Philip II showed up.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2007 at 16:17
Phillip II.... It is weird that even a country of 100 million people has his name Confused
Samurai
Samurai

Quote HaloChanter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2007 at 23:06
But Charles was overall a good politician and made Spain look fantastic. That is until his heir Philip II showed up.

- See, I believe there to be a popular misconception that Charles was the "good guy", if you will, and Phillip the "bad guy". Charles was stubborn, medieval and a poor statesman of the Renaissance period. Phillip was shrewd, calculating and though stubborn himself, effective in implementing policy. Where Charles would delay military expeditions by insisting on leading his own army while doubling its expense in the name of caution, he effectively left his Empire without a policy-maker for months as a time as he insisted every decision be made by him, even on campaign. Phillip, however, would spend months planning and would remain in government implementing his designs and maintaining the diplomatic and political needs of his Empire.

Charles ruined Spain. When Phillip came to the throne, Charles had mortgaged the revenues for the next four successive years, had ruined merchants by confiscating private ownings in the incoming treasure fleets, had cut out the middle class by promising large European banking families the internal credit machines of the Spanish state and had beaten the cortes in to taxing the peasantry beyond capability while securing the priveledges and immunity of those that could most afford it.

It was for these reasons that, in 1557, two years after his father abdicated, Phillip had to declare bankruptcy. Charles had begun the Spanish decline, and had so engineered it that Phillip's reign was one of delaying the inevitable collapse in the following century.
Kind regards,

HaloChanter
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2007 at 14:29
You can't really say whether someone has succeeded or failed unless you first determine what he was trying to achieve.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2007 at 14:48

That was rather a limp post I guess, so I'll make a couple of comments on the effect of Charles' reign and the succession, leaving out whether it represents success, failure, or mere happenstance.

Outside America (I take Pinquin's point) there are two that might get overlooked.

One is the denial of Henry VII's divorce petition (Charles could have swung that the other way if he had wanted). Without that England would have stayed Roman Catholic - at least for a while - and might have been disrupted by internal religious strife rather as France was.

The other is the fact that the Netherlands became Spanish, rather than either independent or Austrian as they would become in the 18th century. In that case, no armada, and no reason (in Europe, again) for Anglo-Spanish hostilities in general.  
Samurai
Samurai

Quote HaloChanter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2007 at 16:19

You can't really say whether someone has succeeded or failed unless you first determine what he was trying to achieve.

- Well, perhaps this would help. It's Charles speaking in the third person to his aunt, Margaret of Austria, on the eve of his election to the Imperial crown in 1519:

"...we will be able to accomplish many good and great things, and not only conserve and guard the possessions which God has given us, but increase them greatly and, in this way, give peace, repose and tranquillity to Christendom, upholding and strengthening our holy Catholic faith which is our principal foundation."

And again to his old teacher Adrian of Utrecht, now pope, in 1522:

"With the papacy in your hands and the Empire in mine I think that great things can be wrought through our unanimous actions."

So, in the words of Charles himself, judge him on the success of defending his possessions, enlarging them, bringing peace to Christendom and, with the help of the Pope, beat back the Infidel.
Kind regards,

HaloChanter
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2007 at 22:42
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

How dare you saying anything bad about my beloved Carlos?

Now realistically, he did achieve at least three major things: 1) Kept his realm intact 2) Took control of Italy (and the pope) 3) Resisted the Ottomans at their mightiest 4) Invented modern government debt (he was badly indebted but then again they all were). So that's surely good stuff.

But obviously, on the other hand there were some probs: 1) the development of protestantism in the German territories (but successfully avoided it in Spain and Italy) 2) Started to rely heavily on Castille for its budget 3) Proved unable to seize major territories in the old world (France, England, Africa) 4) Had the worst arrangement made for his succession 5) Proved incapable to develop Spain economically.

But as remarked earlier what matters was the fact that he fulfilled his mission: he gave to his heir a realm more or less untouched as compared to the one he had received. So it is surely not a 100% success but as opposed to other kings of the period (Francis I Elizabeth I, etc) his realm was not to break appart soon after his death in a mindless civil war.
So I'd say he did rather well politically, very well militarily, excellent in terms of culture but poorly when it comes to the economy.
I am a free donkey!
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2007 at 00:12
True assesments Maharbbal but I feel if Spain wanted to prosper in the long long run, then the economy is KEY!!!!!!
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2007 at 07:22
Yes but arguably the king has little to do with his country's economy.

The problem was that Castille was underpopulated and directed by outdated ideals. Charles could to nothing (I mean a modern economist would disagree but the point is that at that time there was none). He did as well as he could, using efficient delegates (any one from Cortes to Doria) and having a subtle understnading of new ideas such as independent entreprise. It is interesting to compare him with Francis I of France, the latter never really understood that a sovereign did not legally own whatever possession his subjects enjoyed.

I think over all he was humble. When he lost he could understand it and retreat (only to come back stronger later) and he trusted his delegates completely which was of course essential when one had such a massive empire. He could send years without going to a kingdom of his. He also was a fine psychologist which was important at a time when men were so proud and money so short.
I am a free donkey!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2007 at 19:14
Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

True assesments Maharbbal but I feel if Spain wanted to prosper in the long long run, then the economy is KEY!!!!!!

Agree!

Spain was doomed by the lack of vision of theirs ruling class. When the time of manufacturing came, they just didn't do what was right: to invest in development and technology.
The easy money that came from the Americas was, in the long term, a curse.
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2007 at 23:48
It could be theorized that it was actually Charles fault all along in the economic stagnation of the country. Douglass North, an economist at Washington University in St. Louis argued that in England the industrial revolution was able to take place because after the Glorious Revolution in 1688 Parliment seized power from the King. Thus they were able to protect private property rights, protecting wealth, and eliminating arbitrary increases in taxes. With these changes in place, entrepreneurs recieved the incentive to make investments which in turn spurnned technological advancement.

There was a civil war in Spain soon after Charles took the throne, and if the rebels have won they would have elected a king from Spain, but the Cortes could have grown stronger after initiating the war, thus having more power than the king and maybe would have had their own industrial revolution

Edited by Ponce de Leon - 24-Oct-2007 at 23:50
Kamikaze 738 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Kamikaze 738 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2007 at 00:23

It could be theorized that it was actually Charles fault all along in the economic stagnation of the country. Douglass North, an economist at Washington University in St. Louis argued that in England the industrial revolution was able to take place because after the Glorious Revolution in 1688 Parliment seized power from the King. Thus they were able to protect private property rights, protecting wealth, and eliminating arbitrary increases in taxes. With these changes in place, entrepreneurs recieved the incentive to make investments which in turn spurnned technological advancement.

I think this is true too, Charles V really bankrupt the country with his ambitions and his wars with most of Europe. Charles was succeeded by Philip II who inherited his father's debt and didnt really do much to try to pay it off. So after he died, his successors never really get rid of the debt and all those riches from the New World is getting smaller and smaller and no economic reform happen, thus Spain never really recovered from the debt that Charles had. Unlike France and England that succesfully developed a strong economy and government later in the decades.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2007 at 06:33

There was a civil war in Spain soon after Charles took the throne, and if the rebels have won they would have elected a king from Spain, but the Cortes could have grown stronger after initiating the war, thus having more power than the king and maybe would have had their own industrial revolution

Bravo Ponce I'm impressed. Unfortunately Doug North (Nobel Prize of Economics) was certainly wrong in his description of the effects of the 1688 revolution (nothing to do with the industrial revolution he is interested in England's commercial domination of the 18th century, this "democratic" government was supposed to create an healthy financial ground allowing cheaper public borrowing). He was certainly wrong for two reasons: non-constitutional kingdoms on the continent had lower interest rates than England even after 1688 and better public borrowing has little to do with private investment specially on a rather poorly integrated market.

Interestingly the "what if Charles had lost the war of the Communeros" you mentioned can simply be observed by comparing Catalugna (where the Cortes kept their might) and Castille (where they pretty much lost most of it). Turns out that yes Cataluna did (slightly) better than Castille economically during the early modern period, but was it because of a larger freedom or because of its port town and its natural riches? The Naples kingdom was relatively free too but was far from being a center of innovation.

The question here is: what is the influence of the constitutional form on a nation's economic success? Besides (specially for the 16th century) how aware were the rulers of the political events' influence on their realm's economic development?

So where were Charles' mistakes?
- Creating a huge debt. True. But they all did. Of course, had he  been perfectly peaceful, he might have saved a lot of money; similarly by dismembering his realm he would have saved a lot of his subjects' money. But, for a good monetarist economist it is difficult not to prefer Charles to Francis I. The latter not the Emperor created a lot of taxes to support a standing army and never hesitated to expropriate his subjects from their rightful wealth. On the other hand Charles relied heavily on the market to bring him fresh cash and military might. Theoretically thus Charles was maybe not correct but he was at least less wrong than his counterparts.
- Accepting the wealth from the Americas. He inoculated his realm with the Dutch disease but who could have resisted? Then again he was not only king of Spain but lord of the Netherlands which were doing very well in that period.

I guess I could add a few but here is the point: the ruler doesn't rule the economy. Charles had next to none mean to influence it. They knew only vaguely economic principles that seem self evident now. Granted Charles was not a 16th century Alan Greenspan but under his reign some of the most successful entrepreneurial adventures of all times took place: the rise of the Netherlands, the Genoan and the Bavarian bankers, the first globalization, etc.

Charles didn't impeded these (as Louis XIV later would) he occasionally used it but managed not to break it. Spain's problems came from deeper. He didn't made them worse and certainly did not cause them.
I am a free donkey!
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2007 at 15:37
Originally posted by Maharbbal

[The question here is: what is the influence of the constitutional form on a nation's economic success? Besides (specially for the 16th century) how aware were the rulers of the political events' influence on their realm's economic development?

Well to answer that question I am going to use England as an example again. The men in Parliment had a different mindset of the king, and most of them we can assume were fair-minded and had effective procedures to rule the country after years of experience. This reform would later help the English in using a system to help finance their goals (especially wars). For example: England, after Parliment gained the upper hand, accumulated more debt than most other countries in Europe. However she was still able to keep afloat. Why is this? Because instead of taxing the people to death, the Parliment initiated the early form of bonds and stocks. That is to say that they borrowed money from rich businesses with the promise of paying them back with interest. Over time with more confidence in Parliment the businesses and independents began buying these stocks and bonds. This helped propel the government to have their coffers increased and allowed them to spend more on wars which eventually made them superior to everyone else because no other country could accumulate as fast, or as much money.

Now if you look at the 16th to 19th century kings, it is obvious that most of them were very ambitious and all they cared about was increasing their territory so they can have something to brag about. That was the mind set of all kings in Europe during this turbulent time. With all the focus in creating standing armies, creating alliances by marriage, and trying to stay alive from assasination, they did not have the time to sit down and study economics like the lesser people who make up the parliments. And the parliments did realize the importance of economic sucess as the ultimate goal in establishing long term prosperity.

P.S That little bit about 16th century Alan Greenspan gave me a good laugh!

Edited by Ponce de Leon - 25-Oct-2007 at 15:39
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>