Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A video on Cappadocia and the population exchange

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A video on Cappadocia and the population exchange
    Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 13:06
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OC1YHMM3

This video is a greek documentary, made for the greek television. It's in greek and unfortunately has no subtitles.

It's subject is basically the Karamanlides, a turkish speaking orthodox christian people of Cappadocia. It broadens however, and includes interviews with other exchanged people as well.
If you understand greek, you can watch it whole.
If you understand turkish, you'll be able to understand many people interviewed (I suppose).
The rest can live with the picture onlyBig%20smile

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 13:42
The village next to my summerplace is a Karamanlides-village. They speak Greek ofcourse, since they live in Greece, but they originate from Cappadocia and call themselves Karamanlides.

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 14:23
Tell us more about the movie. What's the main message?
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 14:32
That is one of the places I haven't been to in Turkey. Sure looks interesting.

Of course there used to be many Greeks in most of the western half of Turkey prior to the poplulation exchange. I remember speaking to a group of visitors from Greece who used to live around Bursa. They missed their old neighborhoods and had fond memories of their youth. Hope they all visit as often as they like.
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 15:43
İ've been there, they make good wine in Kapadokya Tongue 
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 16:44
Tell us more about the movie. What's the main message?

It's a 45min documentary.
It starts with an old lady, grandmother of a greek parliamentary, who lives in a refugee village in Thessaly (Cenrtal Greece). It's explained that this village was founded by refugees who came from Cappadocia in 1924. When these people came to Greece they didn't speak any greek, but only turkish.
They are the Karamanlides, a christian people, who speak turkish but use the greek alphabet.
The documentary crew travels with  the old woman and her grandson to Cappadocia, to thier native village of Souloutzova (sp?). There they meet some turks, who are related to them by blood (one cousin of the old woman, who was 16  years old in 1924, remained in Cappadocia and married a turk. The turkish family who welcomes them are the children and grandchildren of them.)
Then, refugees, both muslims and christian, tell their stories, of how they left their homeland, reached their new land, what they found different etc
There are also interviewed muslims, who, like the Karamanlides, spoke only greek (or 'macedonian' in one occasion) when they reached Turkey. The crew visits their club in Constantinople, a club for the greek speaking muslim refugees in Turkey. The woman that is interviewed is muslim from Crete.
An old man is also interviewed, a muslim from Yannina, who spoke greek very fluently.

Unfortunately, the interviews in turkish are dubbed with greek, so it may be difficult for a turk to hear what they say.

Victory needs none.
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2008 at 08:03
Originally posted by Seko

That is one of the places I haven't been to in Turkey. Sure looks interesting.

Of course there used to be many Greeks in most of the western half of Turkey prior to the poplulation exchange. I remember speaking to a group of visitors from Greece who used to live around Bursa. They missed their old neighborhoods and had fond memories of their youth. Hope they all visit as often as they like.

One of my grandfathers family, the one from my father's side, was from Bursa.His wife's was from Pontos. My grandmother's family ,from my mother's side, came from Marwnia of Asia Minor, during the 19th century. So yeah, there were many Hellens/Greeks living in Asia Minor.Wink

Edited by Spartakus - 20-Feb-2008 at 08:06
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2008 at 12:42
My grandmother came from Crete to Turkey(Muslim Helen). Some times she was speaking Greek to my aunts.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2008 at 13:07
i feel a little left out...

I heard the Muslim Cretans mainly moved to the Aegean coast of Anadolia, as well as to one village in Syria before the troubles.
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2008 at 13:31
i feel a little left out..

?

As if anyone here saw the documentary... I'm pretty sure noone downloaded it yet

Victory needs none.
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2008 at 17:10
Originally posted by Leonidas

i feel a little left out...

I heard the Muslim Cretans mainly moved to the Aegean coast of Anadolia, as well as to one village in Syria before the troubles.

Well yeap some of them gone to Syria, some of them gone to Aegean coast, but my grandma gone to Mersin(Eastern part of Turkish Mediterraen coast).
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2008 at 17:43
Originally posted by xristar

?

As if anyone here saw the documentary... I'm pretty sure noone downloaded it yet

I think you are right Xristar. If it ain't automatic like youtube then I don't tend to download 'em. Your synopsis explained a bit though.  
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2008 at 08:19
Originally posted by xristar

?

nah im talking about having links to anadolia, since some here seem to have connections to the other side, i have none that i know off.Ying%20Yang
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2008 at 22:03
nah im talking about having links to anadolia, since some here seem to have connections to the other side, i have none that i know off

Neither have I.

Edited by xristar - 26-Feb-2008 at 22:03

Victory needs none.
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2008 at 09:17
I tried, but all I'm getting is photos of pretty girls. Nothing wrong with that but where is Anatolia?
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2008 at 20:44
Are you sure?
To me it seems it's still working.

You may need to download the megaupload toolbar.
I did, I downloaded the film, and then uninstalled the toolbar.

If you are interested, and don't want to download the toolbar, or can't dowload the file for whatever reason, tell me. The guy who uploaded the movie has also uploaded it in another location, broken in parts though. If you want I'll try to find it.

Victory needs none.
kurt View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote kurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2008 at 15:13
Hey, do most of you Greeks have a recorded Turkish ancestor/s? I ask because I'm Turkish but of my recorded ancestors, I have a few ethnic Greeks and no ethnic Turks, which is kind of odd. I guess its different with me because my ancestry was all peasantry as far back as I go, which means illiterate ancestry, so no family records existed until Mustafa Kemal came along.

Oh well, at the very least having centuries of tobacco cultivators in my bloodline means I'm good with cigars.
Karadenizli
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2008 at 01:48
@Kurt
What do you mean by 'ethnic greek' and 'ethnic turkish'. i'm pretty sure that none of us greeks has muslim ancestors. There is a chance though that some of us have turkish speaking christian ancestors.

Given that your signature is "Karadenizli", which according to my understanding of turkish means "someone from the Black Sea", can I assume that your 'ethnic greek' ancestors are greek speaking muslim pontians? Are you from Trebizond or so?

Victory needs none.
kurt View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote kurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2008 at 15:40
Well, its hard to classify, isn't it? By my standards, an ethnic Turk is someone with geneology descending from the original turkic tribe peoples who migrated from central asia. To me religion doesn't play a role. In Ottoman times, they just considered religion when identifying people, so if an ethnic Turk by my standards accepted orthodox christianity, they would have been regarded a Greek. So yeah, for all i know my Greek ancestors may have been ethnic Turks. But, considering that they spoke Greek, that the village they lived in predated the muslims ones nearby, and that most of the villagers were fishermen (we all know Greeks are a sea people whereas Turks are more of a 'land people'), I think they are most probably ethnic Greeks. If I had Turkish speaking christian ancestors I would consider them ethnic Turks, and vice versa - so long as they weren't from the balkans, where ethnic identities get a little complicated.

And yep, my Greek ancestors were pontic Greeks from Trabzon. Yes, they spoke Greek, my great grandmother, though she never had any use for it, could speak Greek. After the remnants of the pontic Greeks converted to Islam the Greek language disappeared from the area.
Karadenizli
 Post Reply Post Reply