Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which essay should I submit to Gettysburg College?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
AE Editor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which essay should I submit to Gettysburg College?
    Posted: 13-Dec-2008 at 23:49
Which essay should I submit to Gettysburg College?

The one about my experiences at Cambridge during the course of the summer program I took there or the one about my time as an intern with McCain's Campaign? 
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2008 at 00:00
Intern in the Mc Cain campaign. Shows commitment, humility and ambition. Depends on what your expereinces in Cambridge where. I'd leave the nights out in the raunchy Victorian niteclubs :-)
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2008 at 00:03
The cambridge one could be a little bit more relevant - it would, I assume, contain a great deal of relevant academic material that could really impress them, whereas the McCain one, although interesting, probably isn't that relevant 'cause there will have been loads of interns in offices around your extremely large country (how many times can mine fit into it?).
Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
AE Editor

Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2008 at 02:06
Here is my essay about my time on the Presidential Campaign.

How does it look?

Sorry the text is a little screwed up.

My Experiences on the Presidential Campaign

In late summer of 2008, I took on my own incentive to volunteer for Senator John McCain’s Presidential campaign. I decided to volunteer with McCain in particular because for one thing, I consider myself to be a conservative. For another, blood was already running in the streets for Senator Obama and I decided it would be a more worthwhile investment for me to throw my support behind Senator McCain. However I didn’t expect it all to bear the fruits it did for me during the course of the election.

When I first got involved I was expecting to play a pretty minor role in the political process. However when I first showed up though I really felt involved in many ways. For example I was out there talking to people about why they should vote for our list of candidates and making the case for it. In addition I even had a TV crew from Jim Lehar’s News Hour follow me around for about an hour and half as I helped out, which was quite different in my opinion as I could have quite possibly appeared on the news. However they kind of got annoying after a while due to their reporter asking so many questions combined with it being such a hot day outside, still it was very interesting and thus I kept my cool and didn’t appear annoyed and thus put up with it. I continued doing this process of showing up at McCain’s volunteer events and amercing my self in the political process, this was until I was offered my internship.

One day when I called down to the office of McCain/Palin 08 and  I was told to come down to their office if I wanted to help out. I went down to their office which was in one of the more downgrade areas of Sterling, an area my Parents weren’t comfortable about taking me since it was so far away. When I got there I thought I would just be doing same old same old like before but I ended up getting offered an internship. With the Presidential Campaign at the end of the day by the head of the office. I was thrilled to say the least, and so were my parents, none the less, even though it ended up being a lot of work I would be very happy with the experiences it enabled me to see first hand.

In the next couple of weeks I got to see much of how politics works up close and personal. At the celebration at the Sterling office the night it opened, I got to met many conservative activists. Including the head of Former Governor Jim Gilmore’s student outreach committee, I would also be appointed to a student group to oversee this particular aspect of electioneering. After the opening of our Sterling office we would be doing non-stop voter outreach until Election Day. This proved a very interesting and insightful look into the 2008 election for me and one in which I will never forget. Even though McCain was behind later on I still remained optimistic that my contributions would be fruitful in the end. However it didn’t and at the Dock in Lansdowne on election night where the Republican Victory party was being held the atmosphere was more like a funereal instead of a party. Personally though I was pleased with my performance during the campaign and I was fully aware that what I committed to was a major feat despite the loss at the end of it.         

I feel my contributions to the historic 2008 election effort were definitely worth it. In addition I figure I will dedicate myself further into politics when the chance arises again since I had such a wonderful experience with my first political fray. So maybe another internship or maybe something bigger another time around. What ever may happen the answer is to that question is, I certainly hope so!   

Edited by Kevin - 14-Dec-2008 at 02:07
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2008 at 02:10
It looks quite good, Kevin, but will need a lot of editing and touching up in order for it to be a first-class piece of writing. I can try and help out with this if you wish.
Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
AE Editor

Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2008 at 02:18
Originally posted by Knights

It looks quite good, Kevin, but will need a lot of editing and touching up in order for it to be a first-class piece of writing. I can try and help out with this if you wish.

SureSmile

Edited by Kevin - 14-Dec-2008 at 02:18
Darius of Parsa View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2008 at 04:54
I'd go with the McCain one.
What is the officer problem?
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2008 at 06:22
Glad to hear, that the war is over. Who took the win? The union or the confederates?

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2008 at 16:40
I would go with the Cambridge one, it will give more insight into your academic interests and initiative. It will also show that you are a serious student.

Is Gettysburg asking you to write on a specific question, or is it a general application question like, tell us about an experience that shaped your life?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2008 at 16:52
Do you have the option of both. Both show initiative. The Cambridge one is good for academic purposes, as are AP and Honors classes. The campaign experience essay shows that you are active and have initiative to further your goals.
Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
AE Editor

Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2008 at 20:58
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2008 at 23:30
I would go with option I.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2008 at 23:58
Yes Option I - it is more descriptive.
 Post Reply Post Reply