Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your country´s best movies?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Carcharodon View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your country´s best movies?
    Posted: 08-Jun-2009 at 17:01
Which are the best movies from your country, in your opinion? I´m mostly interested to hear about historical movies but other movies are also OK.

Some of the best Swedish historical movies are:

-Det sjunde inseglet (the Seventh Seal, 1957) by Ingmar Bergman, a film with a lot of interesting moods and a splendid black and white photo. It is set in the Middle ages during the time of the Black Death and it raises a lot of questions about the meaning of life and the fear of death.

-Uvandrarna (The Emigrants, 1971) by Jan Troell, about Swedsih emigrants going to the US in the midth 19th century. Sometimes brutally realistic and with excellent actors.

-Nybyggarna (The New Land, 1972), the sequel to The Emigrants, is about the emigrants further experiences in the US. It includes a strong depiction of a couple of young boys going away to find gold in California. These two movies are based on four books of the Swedish author Wilhelm Moberg.

One can notice that in all these three movies actor Max von Sydow participates. He has also participated in a lot of movies in the US (some good and some rather bad).

The Seventh Seal

Picture from: 

Etnad View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Etnad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2009 at 20:41
Hmm from Denmark, not the greatest movies. But we've got, flammen og citronen, concerninge the resistance during world war 2
http://pds14.egloos.com/pds/200902/25/13/a0100413_49a49e34642b0.jpg

imdb.com
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0920458/

Edited by Etnad - 08-Jun-2009 at 20:44
Baron
Baron

Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2009 at 13:20
Thank you for the tips, I shall check it out.

Noone more? I think you must have a lot of great movies in your countries. In Swedish TV and theatres they mostly show American (and some Swedish) movies. In TV they tend to show the same movies again and again, not so often any new ones. At the same time one hears and reads about exciting and interesting movies from a lot of other places.
So it would be nice to learn what favourite movies you have from your countries.

Baron
Baron

Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2009 at 10:18
One of my favourite movies from Swedens neighbour Norway is Ofelas (the Pathfinder) an exciting movie made by a Sami director, with mostly Sami actors and depicting an old Sami legend. This film is a story of adventure and also interesting with a lot of ethnographic details. Can be reccomended.

Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2009 at 11:22
In the Name of the Father: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Name_of_the_Father_(film)

Some mothers son: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Some_Mother%27s_Son

Titanic Town: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanic_Town_(film)

The Butcher boy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Butcher_Boy#Film_adaptation

Song for a Raggy Boy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song_for_a_Raggy_Boy

And a couple more :)
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2009 at 13:55

In the Name of the Father is a pretty average film, the story itself is inherently good enouggh to carry the film, but the accents are bad and the acting is patchy. The Butcher Boy is a very competent low budget film, but the zany and surrealist features of the novel are lost in it. Some of the post-apocalyptic and pig-face scenes are too crude for my liking... But I like the other films.

There's a Danish Film I watched one night, and it had me captivated. Sonja Richter is in it....Open Hearts I think it's called. Definitely worth a look.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2009 at 14:27
The best movie from Malaysia.. so far.. for me is this :-

Sepet (MALAYSIA) - Trailer

kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2009 at 15:22
Well Carcharadon, one of the best movies of Turkish cinema is taken in Sweden:

Otobüs by Tunç OKAN

Films of Nuri Bilge Ceylan (Üç Maymun, Uzak and İklimler, etc.) won several  prizes from Cannes Film Festival including Best Director
Zeki Demirkubuz's all films Masumiyet, Üçüncü Sayfa, Yazgı

Also films of Yilmaz Güney (especially Yol and Duvar) Yavuz Turgul, Metin Erksan (especially Ssuz Yaz and Sevmek Zamani) and Atif Yilmaz are the prominent examples of Turkish cinema.

Edited by kotumeyil - 12-Jun-2009 at 15:24
[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2009 at 15:23
Originally posted by Dolphin

In the Name of the Father is a pretty average film, the story itself is inherently good enouggh to carry the film, but the accents are bad and the acting is patchy. The Butcher Boy is a very competent low budget film, but the zany and surrealist features of the novel are lost in it. Some of the post-apocalyptic and pig-face scenes are too crude for my liking... But I like the other films.

There's a Danish Film I watched one night, and it had me captivated. Sonja Richter is in it....Open Hearts I think it's called. Definitely worth a look.

I would agree that the accents are atrocious but I don't think the acting was particularly bad. A bit patchy at times... hmm...

To be completely fair its difficult as it is to generate a list of decent Irish films. Don't criticise, its your country Goddamn it!
Baron
Baron

Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2009 at 17:19
Originally posted by kotumeyil

Well Carcharadon, one of the best movies of Turkish cinema is taken in Sweden:

Otobüs by Tunç OKAN

Seems interesting. I don´t know if it has been shown here or if I just missed it (if a movie is not American, Swedish or from some of the other Nordic countries they usually don´t advertise it very much). The theme of the cultural collision seems intriguing.
Baron
Baron

Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2009 at 17:33
Originally posted by Etnad

Hmm from Denmark, not the greatest movies. But we've got, flammen og citronen, concerninge the resistance during world war 2
http://pds14.egloos.com/pds/200902/25/13/a0100413_49a49e34642b0.jpg

imdb.com
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0920458/

Sounds interesting.

But I think you have some good movies. For example one can mention a couple of really memorable films by the legendary Danish director Carl Theodor Dreyer:

-Vampyr (1932), a creepy, dreamlike vampire movie after a story of J Sheridan Le Fanu. The film was a French German production but with the Danish Dreyer as director.

-Ordet (the Word, 1955), a strong religious drama. After a play by Kaj Munk.

By the way what do you think about Lars von Trier?

Edited by Carcharodon - 13-Jun-2009 at 00:55
Baron
Baron

Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2009 at 17:33
Originally posted by cahaya

Looks like a really romantic film.
Baron
Baron

Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2009 at 23:58

Talking about historical films we have of cource the films about Arn, the Swedsih crusader:

-Arn – The Knight Templar (2007)

-Arn – The Kingdom at Road's End (2008)

Here is a battle scene (the battle of Gestilren 1210) from the second film:

Arn the Swedish Knight

Edited by Carcharodon - 13-Jun-2009 at 00:02
Baron
Baron

Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2009 at 00:10
A Merry Swedish Monk

By the way, I just have to share with you this merry fellow, a Swedish monk from the 14th century, the time of the Black Death. The scene is from the Seventh Seal:

Edited by Carcharodon - 13-Jun-2009 at 00:11
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2009 at 00:22
Originally posted by Carcharodon

Originally posted by cahaya

Looks like a really romantic film.

Big smile very.. and cute. Spontaneous acting styles.

The Canadian Guy View Drop Down
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2009 at 04:56
Originally posted by Carcharodon

Talking about historical films we have of cource the films about Arn, the Swedsih crusader:

-Arn – The Knight Templar (2007)

-Arn – The Kingdom at Road's End (2008)

Here is a battle scene (the battle of Gestilren 1210) from the second film:

Arn the Swedish Knight

Is there English translations for those movies? For Canada hmmm... Passchendaele, Canadian Bacon(even though it is an American made movie, it has Canadian actors and is filmed in a bit of Canada.)

Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2009 at 05:43
Ermm historical type of movies..

Puteri Gunung Ledang. 
This story is considered as a legend.  I read about it since I was in primary school.
It happened during the period of Malacca Sultanate when The Sultan wanted to propose a princess who lived at Ledang Mount for marriage. Quite interesting movie.

Paloh (2003) -wiki

It happened in a small town of Paloh during the final days of Japanese occupation in 1944, the movie is about the confrontation between the Japanese occupying force and the Communist Party of Malaya.

Leftenan Adnan (2000)

Edited by cahaya - 13-Jun-2009 at 06:00
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2009 at 06:11

A small collection of my favourite movies

Nosferatu - 1922

Die Blechtrommel - 1979

Börn náttúrunnar
Iceland 1991

Baron
Baron

Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2009 at 10:48
Originally posted by ulrich von hutten

A small collection of my favourite movies

Nosferatu - 1922

OH yes, this is also a favourite!

Baron
Baron

Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2009 at 10:52
Originally posted by The Canadian Guy

Is there English translations for those movies? For Canada hmmm... Passchendaele, Canadian Bacon(even though it is an American made movie, it has Canadian actors and is filmed in a bit of Canada.)

Yes, they are available with English subtitles.

Edited by Carcharodon - 13-Jun-2009 at 10:57
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>