Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ottoman empire’s name

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mangudai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ottoman empire’s name
    Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 05:23
What was the official name for the ottoman empire? I've heard Osmanli imparatoroglu? Is Imparator = latin Imperator (emperor)?
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 10:14

Yes emperor is correct.But they used Osmanli devleti.devlet=government or country.Osman bey is the founder so it has his name Osman(li)

"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 11:21
Osman Bey was the founder, so from his name, the empire's name was derived with the same mentality in some other Turkish empires ( Seluk Bey/ Seluk-lu, Osman Bey/ Osman-l). So the official name was first, Osmanl Beylii, and then Osmanl Devleti, and finally, Osmanl mparatorluu...
Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 13:41
So how did the English translation become Ottoman instead of keeping it Osmanli?  English historians still refer to him as Osman but the name of the empire is Ottoman.
ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 16:44
at first, it was a typo then at a glance everyone were using it (not true, but a funny story!)
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2005 at 04:00

the transilated history book i have written by Farid Bek calls the Ottoman sate as " Al Dawlah Al Othmaniyah"

also in Arabic books it was mentioned as "Dawlat Aal Othman" which meant " the sate of Othman family"

also i think the proper name is "The Sultanat of Othman." because it was ruled by Sultans

i remmember reading a message sent by Suleyman alqanoni to the French King, in that message Suleyman's title was  the Sultan of the Sultans and the maker of the Kings.

nice Message shows how confident he is about his power. i think it was mentioned in Jawdat Basha history.

Alparslan View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Alparslan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2005 at 06:05
Originally posted by azimuth

i remmember reading a message sent by Suleyman alqanoni to the French King, in that message Suleyman's title was  the Sultan of the Sultans and the maker of the Kings.

nice Message shows how confident he is about his power. i think it was mentioned in Jawdat Basha history.

I think it is more than confidence since he really made Francois king of France.   

Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2005 at 06:11

Usually it is referred to as 'Devlet-i Ali Osmani' as Azimuth wrote. Like all empires it is referred to by the name of its ruling dynasty.

In English it is called Ottoman because what the Turks pronounce 'Osman' is 'Uthman or Othman' in Arabic original/Arabic script. Turkish has no 'th' so it becomes 's'. The English word probably originated from written sources.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2005 at 10:06
I think the Ottoman rulers mostly used the title "Padishah" instead of "sultan". I also know that some of them were also called "khan", like Mehmet II Khan the Conquerer...

Edited by Oguzoglu
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2005 at 15:37
Why khan?
"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2005 at 03:17

Originally posted by Oguzoglu

I think the Ottoman rulers mostly used the title "Padishah" instead of "sultan". I also know that some of them were also called "khan", like Mehmet II Khan the Conquerer...

the title khan is used after the name and the title sultan used before the name

in that message or letter which Sulyman sent to the french king he mentioned that " Iam the Sultan Sulyman khan the son of the Sultan Salim khan

also another name for the Ottoman was " Aldawlah Aluthmaniyah Alaleyah" which meant "The Highness State of Uthman" or this one "Devlet-i Aliye-i Osmaniye"

i wasn't able to find an english transilation of that letter but i found part of it.

You! Francois, the King of French province! You have sent a letter to us with your ambassador and informed us about the enemy that entered to your country and imprisoned you. So, you asked our favour for your freedom. It is not bizarre for a sovereign to be defeated or to be imprisoned. Do not worry about it. We have taken our arms and have been riding our horses for days and nights. Every thing will be as the God wishes.

The German Emperor Charles, was defeated in the Mohac War and he went in fear with the siege of Vienna and he freed Francois.

Interestingly, Sultan Suleyman addresses the French King as,  You! Francois, the king of the French province. This addressing reveals that, Kanuni saw France as a small province and the French King as a governor.

Edited by azimuth
Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Mangudai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2005 at 08:44
Charles defeated at Mohcs??? Did the ottomans write that to Francois? Lol, he wasn't even near the place, in fact he never fought the ottomans on the field...
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2005 at 10:26
Exactly.Mohac War ?

ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2005 at 19:02
The official name of the Ottoman Empire was "Devlet-i l-i Osmn" or "Devlet-i Aliyye Osmniyye".
[IMG]http://img50.exs.cx/img50/6148/ger3.jpg">

Qaghan of the Vast Steppes

Steppes History Forum
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2005 at 06:01

Originally posted by ihsan

"Devlet-i Aliyye Osmniyye".

yeah that was the official one.

Devlet = state

Aliyye = allmighty

Kenaney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Kenaney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2005 at 12:48

Why it is in English Ottoman and not Osman or Ozman whatever.

Other meaning of the name Osman is Oghuzman, you maybe know mostly of the Turks in Turkey where then (and still know) Turkmens who are part of the Oghuz boy (like family three).

Ive heard in Algeria and some North-Afrikan country they call their sons Othman (called Ozman).

ALternative names for Turkey whas called by Ziya Gkalp whas Oghuzistan. But they prefer Turkiye because it whas the only Turkish state then it that times.  

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2005 at 04:00

its arabic and the proper way to pronounce it is Uthman

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2005 at 09:28
Originally posted by azimuth

its arabic and the proper way to pronounce it is Uthman

I agree, because the sound "th" doesnt exist in Turkish, Turks pronounced it as Osman. We also call Muhammed "Mehmet", because of Turkish grammer rules.

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2005 at 01:26

to be more accurate the name Uthman is not pronounced  OTHMAAN  the first letter is not O or U , it is different in the Pronounciation 

its like the first letter of Uthman is the same as the first letter of Ali. it will make more sence if u know Arabic.

also the name Muhammed has different pronounciation, the letter H is pronounced differently.

baracuda View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote baracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2005 at 03:05
Russians use 'Ottoman' - for the commander of the cossaks, and Osmanskiy emperii for the ottoman empire
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>