Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ancestral roots????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ancestral roots????
    Posted: 04-May-2010 at 14:07
What part of the world did your ancestors or family come from?

Mother's side:

My grandparents on my mother's side came from Greece and Turkiye. My late grandfather was Greek but he lived the first 8 years of his life in the old Ottoman Empire. He was born in 1895 in Istanbul, Turkiye. My yia yia or grandmother was from Korinthos but they both came to America in 1919 and my yia yia in the 1920's. She was a hate designer and made $127 a week until, out of obligation, she had to marry my grandfather, an arranged marriage. that sucked!

Father's side- more complicated:

German, Scotch-Irish, Dutch, French, English, Iriquois Indian and god knows what else. They came to the Americas: 1600s, 1700's and 1800's but the last was my great great grandparents who came in 1870 from Germany. There was a second marriage to a Native American which was my great step grandfather, who was half Blackfoot. Sadly, only related only by marriage.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
kalhur View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote kalhur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2010 at 14:26
my ancestors from paternal line i can trace back to the time of zand dynasti in iran middle 1700 and that man was originaly from lore tribe called zand married to a woman from kurdish kalhur tribe and we become kurds i have  from my paternal grand mother's side  from teblis and baku in georgia and azarbaijan and i have heard that some of my ancestores 6-7 generation back had many weives WinkBig smile some from balkan countries  taken from otomans and even from africa tooShocked then i am rich on genetic diversity LOOOL like many other iranians, because not far ago iran was a very large country and it was custom to mary with ladies from all parts of empire to strengten ties political and social.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2010 at 14:32
Dear EC! It seems that most all of my European ancestors, came to America from England or France, but this depends upon wheter or not they came from France to England or Holland, etc., first?

Thus, my common family names are "Hughes"/Huges"; "Garrett" or "Garrech" or maybe even "Gehard", etc.,; Clark / Clarke; "Bobo / BeauBeaux?"; "Rowland or Roland or Rolando",etc., "Ragsdale";, "Burlysone or Burleyson?", "Hobson/Hopson", etc.! It is unrealistic to post more names here!

Most of these families are thought to have existed within the boundaries of the early English colonies since the middle of the 17th century CE!

Note, as far as I have been able to ascertain, they all came into the Southern colonies! Of course my family via the Burleson connection, also claims some Native American blood! Cherokee!

The problem is finding reliable information that far back!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2010 at 14:36
Originally posted by opuslola

Dear EC! It seems that most all of my European ancestors, came to America from England or France, but this depends upon wheter or not they came from France to England or Holland, etc., first?

Thus, my common family names are "Hughes"/Huges"; "Garrett" or "Garrech" or maybe even "Gehard", etc.,; Clark / Clarke; "Bobo / BeauBeaux?"; "Rowland or Roland or Rolando",etc., "Ragsdale";, "Burlysone or Burleyson?", "Hobson/Hopson", etc.! It is unrealistic to post more names here!

Most of these families are thought to have existed within the boundaries of the early English colonies since the middle of the 17th century CE!

Note, as far as I have been able to ascertain, they all came into the Southern colonies! Of course my family via the Burleson connection, also claims some Native American blood! Cherokee!

We are all mutts in the USA/Canada and even Mexico

kalhur - who knows you could have Greek in your ancestry-very possible.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
kalhur View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote kalhur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2010 at 16:02
Originally posted by eaglecap

We are all mutts in the USA/Canada and even Mexico

kalhur View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote kalhur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2010 at 16:11

well in a country like iran with such a history and having been many times mixed with greeks and left some gens there Big smileand later getting backWink. every thing is possible.
i have haplo group Y   K2= T m70 according to ancestory. com.  Y HG  K2 or T is more from mesoptamie than greek. either i am an ABORIGINALBig smile iranian as Y HG K is originating from iran or even worst Winkfrom yemenit or omani arabsLOL followed the islamic army Approve 1300 years agoShocked.
oman has the highest % of y hg  T in the regionSmile

Edited by kalhur - 04-May-2010 at 17:31
DreamWeaver View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2010 at 17:00
British as I am, it would appear conveniently that my ancestral background fails for the most part to leave these sceptred isles. English with a chunk of Irish and Scottish thrown in, possibly with some Dutch floating around, though it may be more Irish as there is some disparity over names.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2010 at 17:36
My English ancestors came America in the early 1700's but their last name was Fancher, which is French. My relatives could not figure out how they ended up in England, who knows.
kalhur View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote kalhur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2010 at 19:45
Originally posted by eaglecap

My English ancestors came America in the early 1700's but their last name was Fancher, which is French. My relatives could not figure out how they ended up in England, who knows.
maybe HASTING  1066 LOOOL
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2010 at 20:20
"My English ancestors came America in the early 1700's but their last name was Fancher, which is French. My relatives could not figure out how they ended up in England, who knows."

Because both nations are related at the hip! After all, in essence they were one nation at one time!

And, it was as well the fact that the crusades also made new bedfellows!

Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2010 at 06:36

"My English ancestors came America in the early 1700's but their last name was Fancher, which is French. My relatives could not figure out how they ended up in England, who knows."

Because both nations are related at the hip! After all, in essence they were one nation at one time!

Regards,

You might have a hard time convincing the Anglo-Norman Historians of that.

@Eagelcap, have you explored the possibility that they were Hugenots, of which many emigrated from France to Britian.
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2010 at 11:04
There was a tribe of Israel named the Tribe of Simeon: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribe_of_Simeon they migrated into different directions, one group settled in Samnium and were called Samnites: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samnium another group migrated to Germany and were named Semnoni: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semnoni and another one went to north Iran and are known as Semnani, a northwestern Iranian-speaking people: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semnani_languages My both father and mother are Semnani (Semnoni in their own language).
Xorto View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Xorto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2010 at 12:42

Hi I am a Kurd from east Anatolia-Mesopotamia

My Dads side is from Sernak a provinz in eastern Anatolia 

My Mother Side is also from eastern Anatolia known as Mardin-Nîsebin. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nusaybin

kalhur View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote kalhur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2010 at 14:55
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

There was a tribe of Israel named the Tribe of Simeon: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribe_of_Simeon they migrated into different directions, one group settled in Samnium and were called Samnites: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samnium another group migrated to Germany and were named Semnoni: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semnoni and another one went to north Iran and are known as Semnani, a northwestern Iranian-speaking people: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semnani_languages My both father and mother are Semnani (Semnoni in their own language).
 i see maybe it is why people in iran believing that mister ahmadi nejad  which comming from semnan has jewish originLamp anyway iranian israelits are among oldest jewish community in the world with even many prophet's graves are  in iran like grave of habacuc(pbuh) in nahavand and ester and mardokhei in hamadan and daniel(pbuh) too,
about germans a few years ago i was sitting in a resturant nearby two old ladies which spoke a very strange german language . i guessed maybe they are speaking a kind of dutch dialect due to X   WAS USED . i asked them about their language and they told me it was  JEDDISH a kind of german- hebrew mixed Shocked language. i don't know how old their language was . but if jews had imigrated to germany so early then it ought to be very old language.

Edited by kalhur - 06-May-2010 at 15:29
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2010 at 16:47
Yiddish has its origins in Medieval Germany.
kalhur View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote kalhur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2010 at 02:44
dreamweaver
 i have read somewhere that in the time of jesus birth nearly 10% of population in romain empire in europe were jews. it is very old and most have a great impact in the population of europe!
by medieval which date do you mean? is it any history of jewish imigration to the germany in recnt or old time ?
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2010 at 05:56
It comes out of the mixing of hebrew with various dialects of german by the migration of ashkenazi. It forms around about the 10th century, though like many languages it evolves. Obviously its Hebrew and Germanic roots are older languages, but they are ofocurse older languages.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2010 at 12:47
I wish my relatives, who did the family tree, were still alive but the Mormons are good at that. I am not sure when my Dutch ancestors came to America but it was after the Mayflower. I know many scotch Irish came in the 1830s and 40s. The Catholic Irish, largely, began arriving in the 1850s along the German Catholics. I recall reading that some Protestants saw them as possibly being agents of the Pope in the 1850s and 60s. Those evil Catholics!!
Maximus Germanicus View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Suspended

Quote Maximus Germanicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2010 at 07:00

My Dads side is pretty easy 100% German (although Germany really is a polyglot of groups all under the German flag.

My dads Fathers  side came from the Rhineland (Kaarst, Krefeld, Lank and Essen) They are very much a mix of Saxon (once again a confederation not really a tribe) really Westfallen, and Franks who conquered the area, however my surname is in Westfallen Saxon, but since they remained Catholic they moved into the Rhineland during the 30 years war. According to records I have found people with the last Surname who fought in the armies of the electorate of Cologne (Catholic League)

My Dads Moms side are from Westfallen and lower Saxony they are decedents of the German tribes that lived in the area (Saxons were a confederation and the local tribes swore fealty and didn't really move)

My Moms side are a mix of Scot Irish and English. They have been in the country since pre rev war times. We have records that show that were ancestors fought in the Continental Army

Post Reply Post Reply