Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mystery of the Tiles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mystery of the Tiles
    Posted: 17-Dec-2010 at 17:31
In this website: http://housinguae.com/2010/09/03/10-most-beautiful-buildings-in-the-world/ Emam (Shah) Mosque in Isfahan has been mentioned as one of the most beautiful buildings in the world, as you read one of the main reason is its tiles seeming to change colour depending on the light conditions.

I really wondered when I visited Vank Cathedra in the same city and from the same period, I think figure paintings which are forbidden in the Islamic art, adds much more beauty to this building, you can see the different colors of same tiles in these pics:

Kanas_Krumesis View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kanas_Krumesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2010 at 02:53
The colors of this Chatedral are truly remarkable, and the paintings were made with great skill. I knew about the Vank Cathedral in Isfahan before. I also know about over 11 churches in Isfahan from that period. This is excellent proof of religious tolerance of Persia and Iranian people as a whole. It was allowed construction of such a magnificent temple in the capital of one Muslim empire, while at the same time there was a law in Ottoman empire under that each newly built church was supposed to be lower than the Muslim soldier mounted on horseback. Thats why the churches in Bulgaria from the period 15-19 century are high only 2 meters above ground and over 7-8 meters undreground. Next time who talk about religious tolerance of the Ottoman Empire, let's come to Bulgaria and see. There was a ban for a building of new churches in Istanbul till 19 century.
A few words about Armenian people. They are small nation have lived since deep past in the Asia Minor region. Majority of Armenians are members of the Armenian Apostolic Church. They speak IE language. Armenian traders were one of the biggest traders in the world. Тhey were carrying trade between Europe and the Far East for centuries and they had a network of trade post in all Asia and Europe. The apricot, which is imported from China is still called in many European countries "Armenian plum". I never heard about atrocities over Armenians in Persia. In Ottoman empire the killings and robbery of Armenians was encouraged by the authorities, because of fear that more capable and progressive Armenian nation can replace the Turkish element in Asia Minor. All we know about Armenian genoside 1915. Many Armenians live in Bulgaria today and they are highly respected scientists, doctors, musicians, journalists, businessmen, who have fit perfectly in Bulgarian society.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2010 at 08:59
Are the tiles done in a lustre type Glaze?  That might account for the color diff.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2010 at 10:05

The colors of this Chatedral are truly remarkable, and the paintings were made with great skill. I knew about the Vank Cathedral in Isfahan before. I also know about over 11 churches in Isfahan from that period.

You are right, of course there were 24 churches of Persian style in Jolfa of Isfahan until the end of 17th century, unfortunately more than one half of them were destroyed, especially during the Afghan attack, but the remnants are really among the most buildings in Iran, some pics of Bidekhem (Bethlehem) Church:

Originally posted by red clay

Are the tiles done in a lustre type Glaze?  That might account for the color diff.

I really don't know but I think tile is just a baked clay, it should be related to glazes on them.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2011 at 20:58
Just why do we consider the "why" or "how?", etc.? Why cannot we just consider the "Beauty?"

Regarde',
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2011 at 21:15
A lot of churches were turned into mosques when the Christians left or converted. Why were the mosque's religious images preserved, and not destroyed as our own reformers did when they took over Catholic churches in the 16th-century?
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2011 at 11:14
Originally posted by Nick1986

A lot of churches were turned into mosques when the Christians left or converted. Why were the mosque's religious images preserved, and not destroyed as our own reformers did when they took over Catholic churches in the 16th-century?

Some of them were preserved, others were not.  The Haija Sofia was first a christian church.  However the interior was completely redone in the Islamic traditions.  I believe it had something to do with preserving the Abrahamic traditions that both religions sprang from.  Possibly dependent on the views of those in power at the time.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2011 at 11:20
Originally posted by opuslola

Just why do we consider the "why" or "how?", etc.? Why cannot we just consider the "Beauty?"

Regarde',

Knowing how it was done, can be part of the Beauty.  And knowing how it was done, could mean it could be reproduced.  If it can be reproduced, than we can have more "beauty" to ponder.Smile

Unknown.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2011 at 11:54
I have never seen mosque with frescoes before!?!Until now have thought presentation of god,visualy in Islam,was not allowed canonical!Beauty is eternal here! 
 Post Reply Post Reply