Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Veterans Day

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Veterans Day
    Posted: 10-Nov-2014 at 16:15
To my fellow Veterans and their families here.

American or Allied.

Best wishes.

Remember those who fell.
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0_Rr4yi81o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0_Rr4yi81o

Edited by medenaywe - 10-Nov-2014 at 23:24
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2014 at 14:57
My hat down to all veterans on their holiday!

Best wishes and all luck in the world.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2014 at 13:42
I was finally able to speak to Red Clay Sr last nite.  He hasn't been available for 2 days.  He's been a celeb. in the town he lives in.  At 93, and a Vet. of the Pacific Campaign, various groups invited him to ceremonies that started on sunday.

A really cool thing happened yesterday. His neighbors started knocking on his door to thank him.  This continued pretty much thru to late evening.  Earlier, one of the local chain resturants invited him to lunch and even sent a car around to pick him up.  Dad said he was "speechless".  Knowing him like I do, I found this hard to believe.Big smile

When I spoke to him last nite, he was still "basking in the glow".  It felt good to know that folks other than myself recognized the importance of what he and others had done.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2014 at 14:43
Thanks to all of them!Eternal glory on you Vets!Smile
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2014 at 10:15
Is this just about WW2 ?

Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2014 at 10:42

Originally posted by Ollios

Is this just about WW2 ?

No, it's about all Vets from all conflicts.  I was relating my own father's experiences, as it was in stark contrast to treatment recvd at other times.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2014 at 13:42
Originally posted by red clay

No, it's about all Vets from all conflicts.  I was relating my own father's experiences, as it was in stark contrast to treatment recvd at other times.

so

Originally posted by medenaywe

Thanks to all of them!Eternal glory on you Vets!Smile

not thanks to all of them, I hope some of them never find peace.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allied_war_crimes_during_World_War_II

Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2014 at 15:09
They shall grow not old,
As we that are left grow old,
Age shall not weary them,
Nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun,
And in the morning
We will remember them.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2014 at 09:57

Amen.

Ollios, considering Turkey was primarily sympathetic to the Nazi cause, and didn't change their political stance until they felt threatened by the USSR, your response is empty and not unexpected. 

Unfortunately, they waited until the end of the war to alter their political leanings.  The Allies tired of the games the Turks were playing and eventually turned away and let them play with themselves.  A condition that seems to still exist.

Edited by red clay - 18-Nov-2014 at 10:00
Unknown.
Windemere View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Windemere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2014 at 11:12
Some restaurants in my hometown have begun offering free meals to veterans on Veterans' Day, which is a nice practice.
Windemere
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2014 at 11:15
Indeed.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2014 at 15:10

Ollios, considering Turkey was primarily sympathetic to the Nazi cause,

Of cource thats why, we built defence wall in Thrace as France did against Germans

and didn't change their political stance until they felt threatened by the USSR

"Turkey was sympathetic with Nazi Germany

Nazi German fought with USSR

When USSR threated Turkey

Turkey changed old Nazi Germany policy and be against them."
?

There is no logic here. If someone who I have sympathy for him, attack my enemy, I will become more friend with him, not change my positive ideas about him.

It is obvious, you are missing somethings   

your response is empty and not unexpected.

?

Unfortunately, they waited until the end of the war to alter their political leanings.

Sorry, not to be a German. After just two decade, not to be ready for next war. 

using word "unfortunately" is very ironic.

USA joined the war after Pearl Harbour, not because of Nazi occupation in Paris.

Edited by Ollios - 19-Nov-2014 at 01:30
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2014 at 17:24
The entry of America into WWII has absolutely nothing to do with Turkey's alliance with Nazi Germany, nor with Turkey's alliance with Germany in WWI as well.  You apparently do not know your history.

Up until Pearl Harbor, America was not in the war at all.  When Japan attacked Pearl harbor, was was declared against Japan; however, Hitler declared war immediately after Pearl Harbor against America and THAT led to America declaring war of Germany.

Stick to the subject and don't throw out meaningless strawman arguments.  Turket has never been a Western antion nor on the side of the Allies except reluctantly, like the Italians, as an alternative to surrendering to the Allies.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2014 at 01:55
Originally posted by Mountain Man

The entry of America into WWII has absolutely nothing to do with Turkey's alliance with Nazi Germany, nor with Turkey's alliance with Germany in WWI as well.  You apparently do not know your history.

This is irrelevant, firstly read Red's post then read mine.

I didn't say any contact about America entry to the war with Turkey. If you don't understand post, you should ask again. Example you can use this; "can you be clear".

Don't push yourself to find different meanings and think twice before  using aggressor sentences ("You apparently do not know your history"). Otherway, you just humiliate yourself 

There was blaming about Turkey.

"Unfortunately, they waited until the end of the war to alter their political leanings." 

I just said, what USA did. UNFORTUNATELY, they waited until Japan attack to enter the War for stopping facist forces.

Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
 Post Reply Post Reply