Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Asian football players

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asian football players
    Posted: 29-Aug-2004 at 19:54

Hey all,

After so many discussions about history, differences among different Asians, let's talk a little bit about solidarity and future.

I guess I'm only speaking for myself here, since not that many of you seem to be living in America.  But I really want to see at least an Asian Supreme Court Justice before I die.  Doesn't matter if he's Chinese, Korean, Japanese, or Vietnamese: just some Asian who can prove to America that Asians can be just as political active and concerned for society.  (Most Americans won't be able to tell Chinese and Koreans apart anyway.  And hopefully that Supreme Court Justice would be me, since I'm trying to get into law school and stuff =) )

Now what about an Asian football player?  I'm not talking about English football (soccer) that everyone in the world plays, and I'm not talking about rugby, I'm talking about American football (the helmets and the armors and stuff.)  I honestly didn't give a rat about the Olympics (or how many medals America and China won,) national pro sports are much more exciting.  Especially NFL.  Now, an Asian NFL player, wouldn't that be something.  (I actually know a Chinese guy who played American football in high school, and heard about a Korean guy who played at my school.)

Peace,

Michael

8-29-2004 

Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2004 at 20:37
Yea, Meng tzu I am actually currently residing in CA...so i get what you mean...A lot of my friends are actually interested in football, but so many asians are so concerened with becoming lawyers or docters, I think that it will be a long time before we actually get an NFl player...
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2004 at 20:43

Hey Gubukjanggoon,

Really?  Which part of CA?

Peace,

Michael

8-29-2004

Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2004 at 20:44
Lol, I live in Fullerton, wich is near LA and anaheim....
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2004 at 20:46

Hey Gubukjanggon,

Ah, the Korean ghetto.  I live in the Chinese ghetto, Arcadia, near Pasadena and San Gabriel.

Peace,

Michael

8-29-2004

Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2004 at 20:47
Lol, yes it gets more and more like Korea town every day
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2004 at 20:53

Hey Gubukjanggoon,

And Arcadia is overrun by Chinese.  It wasn't that extreme when I first moved in.  I literally witnessed its transformation from a "quite Asian" Arcadia to an "extremely Asian" Arcadia.  Btw, do you watch football too?

Peace,

Michael

8-29-2004

Hwarang View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Hwarang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2004 at 21:40

well theres this football player i forgot which team that he plays for i think its chargers but hes vietnamese and his name is like tom nguyen or michael nguyen or something

Myyeeeeararrrrgghhh!!!-~Howard Dean
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 01:50

Yup, there was already Asian NFL players.  Just don't last long enough.  Well, most people don't last long in NFL anyway...  It's just the nature of that sport to get really hurt v_v

Oh wait... It's not called English football v_v It's football in the rest of the world.  It's definatly called football in Asia.

Why not talk about Asian baseball players.  Ichiro is kicking ass.

MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 04:18

Hey Hansioux,

I'm sure it's called English football.  Supposedly, soccer as it is played now originated from England.  (Doesn't mean other forms of football wasn't played in other places.  Most likely paralelle and separate origination of a similar game.  I mean, come on, it's just kicking a ball around, how hard is it to think of it, right.)  Btw, Chargers sucks anyway.  (Dunno how good they were when that Vietnamese guy was around in their team though.)

Peace,

Michael

8-30-2004

hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 04:23

In that case... I mean... American Football came from the English game Rugby...  Maybe the American football should be called American Rugby  

The real American sport will have to be basketball.

Edited by hansioux
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 04:43

Hey Hansioux,

I think you're right.  Basketball, if I'm not mistaken, is actually invented in America.  But I have to say that the sport that matters most to Americans is baseball.  I'm not sure if it is derived from cricket, but it was played all the way back in Civil War days.  In any case, I don't think any sport tops the popularity of baseball in America.  I mean, basketball and American football tend to appeal to particular audiences (I'm generalizing here, but it appears that basketball is more popular with urban folks and American football with rural, suburban folks.)  btw, I think there's a possibility that rugby was simply developed separately from soccer (and wasn't strictly derived from it.  The story of how it was invented -- a soccer player got frustrated and carried the ball to the goal is still interesting though.)

Peace,

Michael

8-30-2004

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 04:50
Basketball was invented by a Canadian. I had never heard the term "English football" before, does actually anyone call it that? Not in Europe at least, and not in South America.
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 04:58

Hey Styrbiorn,

I've read (but who can trust stuff online completely anyway) that soccer dates back to 12th century England.  I suppose you Europeans would hate to credit any other of your European cousins with its invention =)  Btw, thanks for the info, didn't know that a Canadian invented it.  (I've heard, though, that the original game was played with an actual basket.  They have to use a ladder to get the ball every single time someone scores.)

Peace,

Michael

8-30-2004

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 05:04

About the origin of football/soccer, yes, it's probably English and the current rules certainly are, but I've never heard anyone - or heard of anyone - calling it other than just "football". That people call American football "American" is only to avoid confusion with (Real ) football.

James Naismith from Ontario invented basketball in 1891, a little google search tells. http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blbasketball.ht m 

hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 05:04

Haha, yes, I heard the Canadians invented basketball

Well, if baseball wasn't such an expansive sport, maybe it will be even more popular.

Being from Taiwan and all... baseball will always be my favorite sport.  Did anyone see that Australia won silver at the Olympics for baseball...... Damn, I didn't see that one coming.  I thouht Canada for sure was going to get a medel.

hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 05:06
Stryrbiorn, that's is my point exactly T_T  I have never heard the term English football before.  In any languages.
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 05:09
Eventhough James Naismith was Canadian... the game was actually invented in America, Springfield, Mass...
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 05:09
Hmmm.  When I lived in LA, I knew this Chinese guy who was fat and looked like a mafia(he also had whiskers that made him look like a wrestling player)  His arms were as thick as a tree trunk, and he played as offense in rugby matches.
Grrr..
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 05:14

Hey Hansioux,

May be the Brits lied to us.  I think the HongKongese call it English football.  (Well, the site I saw that said that soccer was invented in 12th century England isn't written by Hongkongese.  So if it's a British lie, there is more than just one victim who got deceived)

You know it's moments like this that I feel incredibly stupid.  I didn't know there's baseball in the Olympics.  Cuz I don't really follow the Olympics.  Another American prejudice, I guess: we only get gung ho about pro national sports.  All that gymnastic stuff is too soft.

I dunno, is baseball really that expensive to play?  I mean, there are minimal equipments.  (Just some bats, some gloves, very little armors, and typical uniforms.)  The stadiums are expensive, but then any pro sport requires stadiums and they're all expensive.  You're right, though, if you compare it to soccer, I think (you basically don't need a ball or a field to play soccer.  In Hong Kong people would play it in the narrowest places kicking around anything they can lay their hands on.)  If I have to vote for the most expensive sport, though, it would have to be American football.  Btw, I think the popularity of baseball in Asia has to do with the American wannabes of Asia (like Korea and Taiwan.)  Hongkongese got brainwashed by the Brits.  We only play soccer.

Peace,

Michael

8-30-2004

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>