Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

300 Spartans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 300 Spartans
    Posted: 16-Aug-2005 at 09:21

http://comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=10822

Warner Bros. Pictures is set to return to ancient Greece and make war epic 300, based on Frank Miller's graphic novel of the same name. Variety says the film will be directed by Zach Snyder and produced by Hollywood Gang Productions and Atmosphere Pictures MM.

Gerard Butler (Phantom of the Opera, Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Cradle of Life) has been signed to star. Production will begin October 17 in Montreal.

The film tells the true story of 300 elite Spartan fighters who, led by King Leonidas (Butler), fought to the death against King Xerxes' massive Persian army during the battle of Thermopylae in 481-480 B.C. According to lore, their valor inspired all of Greece to rise up against the invading Persians, planting the seeds of democracy.

Snyder (Dawn of the Dead) and his writing partner, Kurt Johnstad, adapted the screenplay from Miller's graphic novel. Michael Gordon wrote a previous draft.

The studio said 300 will rely on hyper-real renderings similar to the stylized illustrations created by Miller for his book.

Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2005 at 18:45
Hmm, another rape of ancient history is about to take place...
CARRY NOTHING
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2005 at 18:55

I think they made a movie about this about 40 or 50 years ago.

Have to check the movie guides.

Has anyone read Victor Davis Hanson's The Western Way of War ?  His thesis is that free men, the agrarian Greeks, knew that war was so devastating in terms of lack of agricultural sufficiency; pestilence and destruction, that they fought to the death...to kill and be killed...to get it over with as quickly as possible.  A "decisive" resolution of conflict that was far less destructive than prolonging conflict.  Part of the thesis is also that free men have more invested in the resolution of conflict than the "slave soldiers" of other cultures of antiquity.

Edited by pikeshot1600
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2005 at 18:57
Nope. Is it good?
CARRY NOTHING
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2005 at 18:59
pikeshot1600, I found what you were looking for, I think.
"Go tell the Spartans"
http://www.timeout.com/film/70444.html
CARRY NOTHING
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2005 at 19:07
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

Has anyone read Victor Davis Hanson's The Western Way of War ?  His thesis is that free men, the agrarian Greeks, knew that war was so devastating in terms of lack of agricultural prosperity; pestilence and destruction, that they fought to the death...to kill and be killed...to get it over with as quickly as possible.  A "decisive" resolution of conflict that was far less destructive than prolonging conflict.  Part of the thesis is also that free men have more invested in the resolution of conflict than the "slave soldiers" of other cultures of antiquity.

Sounds good, and the position made is quite accurate, from what I read from your post. That's how it actually was.
CARRY NOTHING
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2005 at 19:08

Menippos:

Nah, that is a Viet Nam movie.

I'll check and post something.  Meanwhile, check out Hanson....a very interesting and entertaining academic writer....he is a Professor of Classics at U. of California, but his reputation is in ancient military history.

Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2005 at 19:09
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

Menippos:

Nah, that is a Viet Nam movie.

Damn, you're right...
Ok, found it: "The 300 Spartans"

Edited by Menippos
CARRY NOTHING
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2005 at 19:14
I have seen the old movie, it makes an analogy type thing of the Persian Empire with the Soviet Empire, at the end.

Edited by Zagros
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2005 at 19:22

Originally posted by Zagros

I have seen the old movie, it makes an analogy type thing of the Persian Empire with the Soviet Empire, at the end.

Yeah, I think you are right...it HAD to be made in the 1950s!!!

Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2005 at 19:26
CARRY NOTHING
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2005 at 20:26

Yup yet another part of history thats about to be raped until totally unrecognisable.

I predict it will be, laden with cliches and almost backbreakingly corny, when it comes to the Spartans last stand.

I shudder at the thought of what will be seen in cinemas everywhere. LEAVE HISTORY ALONE!!!!!!!!!!

A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2005 at 20:32
I'll be happy if the Spartans fight with proper spears rather than dancing around with swords and hacking stuff to pieces. 
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2005 at 04:05
I am sure that there will be a homosexuality element too. Especially when they comb their hair before the battle. Probably they will have little square mirrors and compliment eachother how beautiful they look today, darling.

I am a bit too critical, having seen Troy and Alexander, and the massacre they performed on the lifestyle, the ideology, the ethics and mentality of the heroes as well as nations (or rather, tribes), but I think that most history lovers here would agree.
CARRY NOTHING
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2005 at 08:03

I actually liked Troy, I think because its largely a mythical event even though there is some truth to it, it doesnt really matter how realistic it was because nobody can be sure exactly what happened when and how.

Troy is by far the best *epic* since gladiator i think. Alexander though was poor, if not just from an historical point of view then for a pure lack of entertainment. I just thought the film was boring simple as that.

The recent flurry of historical epics has been wasted on films like Alexander, and its really turned the audience off to histor, IMO, therefore making it very hard for further *epics* to be a success. Though I suppose people prefer daft cliched movies like Spiderman than good indepth epics anyway these days.

Edited by Heraclius
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2005 at 08:08
Agreed, look how popular "Jackass - the movie" got...
CARRY NOTHING
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2005 at 10:25
yeah ive also heard that hollywood is also making a movie about Hannibal due to hit theaters next year. The bad news is that Vin Diesel will act as Hannibal... the really bad news is that he will direct too!!
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2005 at 10:46
 Oh great, now they are going to ruin hannibal, woop de f?cking doo.
ill_teknique View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ill_teknique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2005 at 17:47
at least he looks carthaginian lol i mean youre asking too much from hollywood , this is awesome at least hes not blonde like alexander i think that a blonde alexander was totaly out of character when meiterrenean people are darker than northern european.
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2005 at 18:04

Im not expecting perfection, but im also not to optimistic after hollywoods latest blunders, dare I mention the utter garbage that was "kingdom of heaven".

I could of made that film beter I kid thee not

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>