Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Zici, Seppuku, and ...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RevanShan View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote RevanShan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zici, Seppuku, and ...
    Posted: 22-Sep-2005 at 21:27
Well, everyone knows Japanese bushi commit suidice by cutting his stomach, and it's called seppuku. Cutting one's stomach as a suicide method is called Zici in China, and was practiced until Eastern Han dynasty, and reappeared in Sui and Tang dynasty. The most famous case of Zici is Nie Zheng, who committed it after assassinated the King and Prime Minister of Han, as show in the Han-period wall painting:

After Western Han, zici was no longer practiced (as it's considered inhumane). But it reappeared during Sui and Tang dynasty, people had suggested it's due to Sogdian influence.  Zici again went 'out of fashion' after Tang.

My question: was slashing one's stomach a suicide method used in Korea? If it was, how it's called? and was it a common method or it's very rare?
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2005 at 22:10
I don't know what it was called, how it was performed, or if it was as set into the society and ritualized as it was in Japan...

But IIRC... during Shinmiyangyo many Koreans captured by American commited suicide rather than be POW's.
RevanShan View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote RevanShan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2005 at 18:18
I knew one Kogoryo general (second son of Yeon Gaesomun 연개소문 ) did commit suicide by slashing his stomach after fall of Pyongyang, but wonder whether it's just a Kogoryo thing.

Edited by RevanShan
jiangweibaoye View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote jiangweibaoye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 14:26

Originally posted by RevanShan

I knew one Kogoryo general (second son of Yeon Gaesomun ҹ ) did commit suicide by slashing his stomach after fall of Pyongyang, but wonder whether it's just a Kogoryo thing.

Maybe if it was the norm in Tang & Japan, it might have also been the norm in Kogoryo to commit suicide after a military defeat.  I guess it would explain how the genesis of the Samurai's codes came from.

Post Reply Post Reply