Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

De Reuter (de Ruyter) - greatest admiral of the 17th century?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: De Reuter (de Ruyter) - greatest admiral of the 17th century?
    Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 11:36
Sorry, maybe you were mistk by the translation form of Ruyter what happens to be Reuter???

Yes, De Reuter was magnificent in his glory. He defeated the English many times, he defeated the Englsh and French combined navy. He sailed into English port, robbed the flagship andd burned four ships.

Brief description fo his life:

He was born in 1607 in Flushing. In 1622 he fought as a musketeer against the Spaniards in the Dutch army under Maurice of Nassau.  The Dutch fleet, with De Ruyter as third in command, beat back a Spanish-Dunkirker fleet in an action of Cape St Vincent the 4th of November 1641. After returning he bought his own ship, the Salamander, and between 1642 and 1652, mainly trading and voyaging to Morocco and the West Indies, became a wealthy merchant. During this time his esteem grew among other Dutch captains as he would regularly free christian slaves buying them at his own expense.During the First Anglo-Dutch War (16521654), De Ruyter was asked to join the expanding fleet as a subcommander; after initially refusing and stating he wasn't qualified enough for such a job, De Ruyter proved his worth under Admiral Maarten Tromp, winning the Battle of Plymouth. In July 1655 De Ruyter took command of a squadron of eight of which the Tijdverdrijf was his flagship and set out for the Mediterranean with 55 merchantmen in convoy. Meeting an English fleet under Robert Blake along the way, he managed to avoid creating a new incident. His orders were to protect Dutch trade. After destroying many a privateer and negotiating a peace agreement with Sal, De Ruyter returned home May 1656. In this Second Anglo-Dutch War (16651667) he won a hard-fought victory in the Four Days Battle (June 1666) but narrowly escaped disaster in the St James's Day Battle (August 1666). He then became seriously ill, recovering just in time to take nominal command of the fleet executing the Raid on the Medway in 1667. The Medway raid was a costly and embarrassing defeat for the English, resulting in the loss of the British flagship and bringing the Dutch close to London and the war to its end.

Raid of Medway:

The Dutch, under nominal command of Lieutenant-Admiral Michiel de Ruyter, bombarded Sheerness, went up the River Thames to Gravesend, then up the River Medway to Chatham, where they burnt four capital ships, and towed away the Royal Charles, pride and normal flagship of the English fleet.

Continuing:

De Ruyter saved the situation for the Dutch in the Third Anglo-Dutch War. His strategic victories over larger Anglo-French fleets at the Battles of Solebay (1672), the double Schooneveld (1673) and Texel (Kijkduin) (1673) warded off invasion. The new rank of Lieutenant-Admiral-General was made especially for him in February 1673. He took command of a combined Dutch-Spanish fleet and fought a French fleet under Duquesne twice to a draw at the Battle of Stromboli and the Battle of Agosta where he was fatally wounded when a cannonball hit both his legs. His body was buried in the Nieuwe Kerk (New Church) in Amsterdam.

De Ruyter was highly respected by his sailors and soldiers, who used the term of endearment Bestever ("Granddad") for him, both because of his disregard for hierarchy (he was himself of humble origin) and his refusal to back away from risky and bold undertakings despite his usually cautious nature.

Was he brilliant or was he lucky?

Edited by rider
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 13:17
Maybe you could first enlighten us who this de Reuter chap is, before we can judge him. We're are not all experts on naval warfare, but always eager to learn.
A bit more info would have been nice
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 14:00

Sure. He talks about not evry known people and facts like we all should know about them, not even giving a hyperlink to an informative source...

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 14:59
Well, I am like that... sees an inevitable bulk of information gathering to the first post.

I will be right on it.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 17:04
hu? de Ruyter and Barclay of Tolly are pretty well known guys...
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 17:07
Originally posted by rider

Sorry, maybe you were mistk by the translation form of Ruyter what happens to be Reuter???

No, it's De Ruyter.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 17:40
Well, it was translated as de Reuter so it is mostly my fault they didn't understand.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2006 at 18:10
Originally posted by Temujin

hu? de Ruyter and Barclay of Tolly are pretty well known guys...

Not to me.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 05:03
Thanks for adding more info. To my great shame, I've never heard of him, although I've been living here in NL for 5 years. Next time I go to the Dutch Military Museum in Delft, I'll look out for him.
Seems he was brilliant and lucky, which usually goes hand in hand.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 07:21
Originally posted by Komnenos

To my great shame, I've never heard of him, although I've been living here in NL for 5 years.

But you have heard of this De Ruyter I hope:

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 08:09
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

Originally posted by Komnenos

To my great shame, I've never heard of him, although I've been living here in NL for 5 years.
But you have heard of this De Ruyter I hope

Sure, I have. I only buy the stuff in the local colours (or ADO colours) green/yellow. Sorry, couldn't find a pic, but you can imagine what it looks and tastes like.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 09:41

Well, the winner must be Dutch. De Ruyter's only serious challengers would be Cornelis and Maarten Tromp.

Britain's only challenger in that century would be Blake (and possibly Prince Rupert as an outsider?). So I'd leave it to the Dutch to pick which they want  though I'd happily go with De Ruyter. After the 1673 battles of the Schooneveld and the Texel, the Duke of York (later James II) was forced to resign as Lord High Admiral, calling De Ruyter "the greatest admiral that ever to that time was in the world"  At Schooneveld there were 52 Dutch against 76 Anglo-French, and off the Texel 60 Dutch against 86 Anglo-French.

It's a pity though that the Dutch couldn't come up with someone that good after 1688, when the English and the Dutch were fighting the French.

(I've never seen it spelt any other way but 'De Ruyter'.)

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 12:35
Well, he was called de Reuter in the History Channel and I took it as pure gold...
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 21:46
Hi,
I guess you all know it and I'll be banned from this forum because of my
infamous pretentiousness but there is a clear account of de Ruyter's
actions in Alfred Mahan's The Influence of sea power upon history 1660
-1783. (there is a very nice edition full of pictures)
Bye (be mercyful).
I am a free donkey!
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 08:33

Originally posted by Maharbbal

Hi,
Bye (be mercyful).

Why do you think there might be something wrong in quoting Mahan?

Very good source.

pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 09:55
Originally posted by gcle2003

Originally posted by Maharbbal

Hi,
Bye (be mercyful).

Why do you think there might be something wrong in quoting Mahan?

Very good source.

Someone will probably go postal, but I think A.T. Mahan was one of the greatest military thinkers of all time.  (Just remember there were no ballistic missiles in his day)

Edited by pikeshot1600
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 09:40
I am sorry, but 'I have never heard of him, could you say who he was?
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 10:30

Originally posted by rider

I am sorry, but 'I have never heard of him, could you say who he was?

Wikipedia has a shortish factual account at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Thayer_Mahan

but there doesn't appear to be much on the web about him for some reason. His book The Influence of Sea Power Upon History, 1660-1783 is out of copyright and downloadable from  http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/13529

Now you bring it up, I may download a copy. I hate to think how many years it is since I read it.

Mahan was so influential that to some extent we now simply take his theories for granted - like the theory of gravity, it seems obvious when you think about it

Edited by gcle2003
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 16:16
Hi there,
Thanks for the afdress
Bye
I am a free donkey!
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 11:39
Which Dutch admiral was said to have defeated pirates with butter? (By rubbing the gunwale with the stuff)
Arrrgh!!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>