Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bear Cultism and Female Shamans in NE Asia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bear Cultism and Female Shamans in NE Asia
    Posted: 20-Apr-2006 at 21:06
http://src-h.slav.hokudai.ac.jp/publictn/a...01-janhunen.pdf

Check out the article.  I'm still working my way through it, so I'll put in some commentary when I finish it.
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 11:17
It is really interesting (as pointed out by the article) how things such as the "Bear Myth" and female shamans are also common to the many Circumpolar cultures (including the Inuit people in Canada).  
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2006 at 00:53
Originally posted by flyingzone

It is really interesting (as pointed out by the article) how things such as the "Bear Myth" and female shamans are also common to the many Circumpolar cultures (including the Inuit people in Canada).  

Indeed, I found the range of the bear myth quite interesting.  I was also intrigued by claims of Shang dynasty bear related female shamans. 

I also found it interesting how bears are often paired with another animal such as an Elk/Moose, Tiger, or Whale.  It seems that in Korea the pair is the Tiger and the Bear as can be seen in the Dangun myth. 

I'm guessing that the Bear/Whale pairing is more common among arctic peoples and in the native peoples of North America.

A very interesting read. :]

Edited by Gubook Janggoon
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2006 at 18:16
Originally posted by Gubook Janggoon

Originally posted by flyingzone

Indeed, I found the range of the bear myth quite interesting.  I was also intrigued by claims of Shang dynasty bear related female shamans. 

That's interesting that you have some information on the "claims of Shang dynsty bear related female shamans". Can you give the sources and further expound on this?

I personally have a strong suspicion that Yellow King of Chinese legend also had a bear-totem in view of his name "Bear-tribe (You Xiong Shi)". We had a discussion about this and some of my acquaintances speculate that Yellow King's legend come from Siberian or Tungus ethnicities who migrated into the south and China. 

Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2006 at 19:43
I got it directly from the paper.  The sources used by the author can be seen in citation 54.
 Post Reply Post Reply