Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Historical Photos: Women

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Historical Photos: Women
    Posted: 15-Jun-2006 at 15:46
Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Photos are from 1879 or 1921

[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2006 at 11:54
Great photos, Mila! Check out these before and after photos of a Native American, Tom Torlino. The "before" photo was taken in 1882 when he was a student at the Carlisle Indian School. In just three years, the "after" photo shows how his physical appearance changed and how quickly his culture was altered. Personally, I like him better in the before photo!

Tom Torlino before

Tom Torlino 3 years later

Here are some photos of Native American women (circa late 1800s - beginning 1900s)and changes in their dresswear!

Maza Win (Mah-zah-we) "Iron Woman" poses in front of the Post Office at Stephan, South Dakota.

Father Ambrose Mattingly took this picture of this Native American couple from the Big Bend area of the Crow Creek Reservation in South Dakota.

Edited by morticia - 16-Jun-2006 at 14:16
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2006 at 08:37

Great Pictures both - thank you!

>>> Mila
- is there a hidden message in your pictures?
All the women seems to be working, and the men seems to be idle with their hands in their pockets or behind their back?

>>> Morticia
- the proud native Americans. I've always been fascinated with them - and I was lucky enough to visit with a family descending from the Susquehanna tribe last time I was in PA.
I also visited the grave of Indian Eve (1740-1815) who was held prisoner by indians for 8 years, escaped and made her way home on a pony.
I have a book about her - written by decendants and based on her journals.
Interesting reading indeed.

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2006 at 10:26
Hehehe, Northman. That was how it was here.

"When Rebecca West made her famous 1937 journey through Yugoslavia, she described the illiterate Bosnian village women as having to wait on their husbands while they eat, take sound beatings every now and again, work till they drop, even while child-bearing, and walk while their master rides. But the picture was not totally bleak. Noting the way these tall, sinewy women held their bodies, and the expressions on their faces, she added, "but I will eat my hat if these women were not free in the spirit."
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2006 at 15:19
Originally posted by Northman

Morticia- the proud native Americans. I've always been fascinated with them - and I was lucky enoughto visit with a family descending from the Susquehanna tribe last time I was in PA.I also visited the grave of Indian Eve(1740-1815) who was held prisoner by indians for 8 years, escaped and made her way home on a pony.Ihave a book about her - written by decendants andbased on her journals.
Interesting reading indeed.

That's a great story Northman. I too have always been fascinated with Native American Indians (all tribes). Whenever I travel, I make sure to visit the local tribes of that state. I'll be visiting the state of Nevada in July and will be going to Red Rock Canyon with a group of Indians from the Paiute Tribe...I'm so excited about that!
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Master_Blaster View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Master_Blaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2006 at 22:25

Mila jaan,

I'm curious to know if those women are covering up b/c the Ottoman Empire imposed Qu'ranic Law upon its Muslim citizens or if they're dressed in that manner due to customary practices.

PS: I bet I'd be hardpressed to find a hejabi in Bosnia today, ehh?Wink

Edited by Master_Blaster - 19-Jun-2006 at 22:26
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2006 at 07:50
Originally posted by Master_Blaster

Mila jaan,

I'm curious to know if those women are covering up b/c the Ottoman Empire imposed Qu'ranic Law upon its Muslim citizens or if they're dressed in that manner due to customary practices.

PS: I bet I'd be hardpressed to find a hejabi in Bosnia today, ehh?[IMG]height=17 alt=Wink src="http://www.allempires.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>

They are dressed according to their own cultural and religious beliefs, and actually, those pictures were taken during a period when Bosnia was administered by the Austrio-Hungarian empire and not the Ottoman Empire

And yes, you would be very disappointed and you'll find a fair skinned blue-eyed hijabi in Bosnia... And not one, but many ... how sad... but true

Edited by Zmaj - 20-Jun-2006 at 07:56
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2006 at 07:53
Mila, are the ladies in the last two pics Roma?

Hvala
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2006 at 09:17
Zmaj, these are from a Dutch website - I had some correspondence with the owner because he had written under the pictures, "Can anyone tell me more about these costumes!?". For the last two I guessed:

Master_Blaster
, I wouldn't say Islamic dress was forced on residents of Bosnia and Herzegovina, at least not by the authorities. Christians and Jews generally had their own costumes. Also, there were so many differences in how Bosniaks dressed - even those living on the same street - that it seems impossible to me there was any coordinated campaign to enforce any one style of dress.

As for hijabis today, it depends on what you mean by hijab. If you mean just a veil, then most every woman in Bosnia and Herzegovina - Muslim, Christian, or Jewish - is a hijabi at some point in her life. If you mean an Arab-style veil, which covers the neck and chest as well as the hair, then there are still quite a few hijabis in Bosnia and Herzegovina. If you mean the Arabic veil plus the full, body-covering tent of a dress style of hijab, then it's very, very rare. That level of religious observance is common generally among the very old, most of whom wear dhimmi or other local styles as opposed to hijab. There are certainly young women my age who wear a full Arabic hijab, even some who've chosen to wear a full burka, but I think it's safe to say you'd run into far more on the streets of London than in Sarajevo.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2006 at 14:28
In the picture of people walking in what look like a carsi, i have one like it and it's written carsi in skopje, but I still cant confirm much because it's an Albanian friend who provided it to me
 Post Reply Post Reply