Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Amish Women

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Amish Women
    Posted: 21-Jun-2006 at 15:45
The Amish Women

The Ordnung are a list of written or oral rules which dictate all aspects of Amish life and outlines and defines the Amish faith. The Ordnung dictates an Amish persons lifestyle, from dress and hair length to buggy style and farming techniques, and varies from community (order) to community (order). That is the reason that some Amish ride automobiles, while others dont even accept the use of battery powered lights (no electricity). The only career option for Amish women is that of being a wife and mother. She may sell homemade arts and crafts or handmade canned foods, but only if her husband permits her to. The Amish woman's main purpose in life is to take care of her husband, home and children.

The typical dress of an Amish women consists of a solid color, long sleeves and a full skirt covered with a cape and an apron. Amish women never cut their hair - they wear it in a bun on the back of the head (or in a braid) concealed with a small white cap or black bonnet. They wear black cotton stockings with black shoes. Clothing is fastened with straight pins or snaps. The Ordnung of the specific Amish order may dictate matters of dress as explicit as the width of a seam or the length of a skirt.

"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2006 at 19:16
Nice pics Morticia.

The Amish family I visited one afternoon last time I was in Pennsylvania, wouldnt allow me to take their picture, and of course I didnt press them too hard. But I'll go there again this october, and maybe get a second chance...

However, they didnt mind talking about their views and traditions, and the son in the family brought the concept of "Bundling" up. He was engaged, and looked forward to have this premartial "bed-experience" arranged with his girlfriend.
Bundling:....The young couple are allowed one night together before they are married, but with their clothes on, and ie. sharing a large bed divided down the middle by a big board.

I had never heard of this tradition before, but Amish people are of German inheritage, so maybe its still going on - also in other communities than Amish. Maybe in Europe as well.
Apparently its very old (described in the Bible) and from what I have found out, it was widely spread in past times.

If you or anyone else know more about this tradition - I would like to hear it.

Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2006 at 23:31
The Amish are amazing craftsman
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 14:01
Originally posted by Northman

Nice pics Morticia.

The Amish family I visited one afternoon last time I was in Pennsylvania, wouldnt allow me to take their picture, and of course I didnt press them too hard. But I'll go there again this october, and maybe get a second chance...

However, they didnt mind talking about their views and traditions, and the sonin the family brought the concept of "Bundling" up. He was engaged, and looked forward to have this premartial "bed-experience" arranged with his girlfriend.

Bundling:....The young couple are allowed one night together before they are married, but with their clothes on, and ie. sharing a large bed divided down the middle by a big board.

I had never heard of this tradition before, but Amish people are of German inheritage, so maybe its still going on - also in other communities than Amish. Maybe in Europe as well.Apparently its very old (described in the Bible) and from what I have found out, it was widely spread in past times.

Ifyou or anyone else know more about this tradition - I would like to hear it.

With regard to the centuries-old "bundling" tradition (which did not originate with the Amish), even though the two spend the night together, it is said that there is an expectation that the two retain their modesty and keep certain body parts covered. They spend the evening together at her home, playing board games, making popcorn or just chatting, with her parents and family present, or later, alone in the living room after the rest of the family has gone to bed. Said tradition came about in an effort to save precious candle wax and fuel. The couple would get into bed, fully dressed, and cover up with a quilt to keep warm as the fire died out in the fireplace or wood-burning stove. While some Amish may know of someone who practiced "bundling" at some point in the past, it's not practiced in the modern day.

Another persisting Amish courtship myth is the "blue door" or "blue gate" story. According to this legend, when an Amish father has daughters of a marriagable age, he paints his door or gate blue to indicate same. However, there is no need for such advertising as the Amish communities are very close-knit, and everyone knows everyone else (or is related to everyone else!). Research indicates the legend may have started in Pennsylvania as long as two centuries ago, when an Amish bishop painted his gate blue, defying custom. Since the bishop happened to have several marriage-eligible daughters, the rumor took hold that he was trying to draw suitors to his home, and the myth took on a life of its own.

Today, courtships among the Amish society vary widely, depending on the parents, the community, the order of Amish, and the young people themselves. Sixteen year old Amish youths (usually the age when Amish teens start dating) are considered to be fairly independent and mature. Amish children are taught from an early age to look for a mate who will make a good life partner and one that will continue in the ways of their ancestors.

Edited by morticia - 28-Jun-2006 at 14:03
"Morty

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2006 at 07:05
Pardon my ignorance about the Amish, but do they allow modern medicine in their lives.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2006 at 08:36
I've heard the amish have a 'sowing of wild oats' tradition which allows adolecents to go out in the modern world and experience all what is to be had there, (exept sex of course) so that they can then make a honest decision to stay in the community or not. Apparently most of them do return. Is this true? It seems a good thing to me, if it is...

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2006 at 22:19
Originally posted by Sparten

Pardon my ignorance about the Amish, but do they allow modern medicine in their lives.

aelfgifu wrote- I've heard the Amish have a 'sowing of wild oats' tradition which allows adolecents to go out in the modern world and experience all what is to be had there, (exept sex of course) so that they can then make a honest decision to stay in the community or not. Apparently most of them do return. Is this true? It seems a good thing to me, if it is...

For both of these the answer is- depends on what sect and community.  There are sects where it isn't unusual to see people wearing Reboks, and then there are still sects that reject anything modern.  I used to have contact with several Amish families on a regular basis, they were, progressive, or maybe reformed would be better.  They owned trucks, had power and phones and allowed their children to interact freely [not too freely] with children from "the outside". Conversely their are others that consider their lifestyle "scandalous". The extreme sects though, those that rejected anything steel or iron as the devils work etc. are gone.
As to medicine, I do know they still used midwifery as of 10 years ago and Herbalists are still consulted, modern doctors, I don't know.

edit-  Bundling Boards, the barriers used to separate the bed, are highly prized and sought after antiques, even the Amish collect them.

Edited by red clay - 14-Jul-2006 at 22:26
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2006 at 03:32
I used to live near Burton, Ohio, which has the msot Amish people in the US, and as Red Clay said, there are many different sects. I have never seen one that rejected modern medicine in the case of an emergency, although I'm sure there are a few sects that do.

I've seen some that reject electricity in their homes and lives 100% (except in case of emergency) and I've seen some that allow their children to put huge music systems in their buggies. I'll never forget all the times I drove past a horse and Buggy that was blasting Rage Against the Machine.LOL For some reason, alot of the Amish teenagers are huge metal fans.

The majority of Amish live in sects that forbid the use of electricity in the home. Many of the communities own large vans and have people who will drive them around. Kind of a way to cheat the system I guess.

Some of the sects also give money to the children when they reach 16, or 18 (depending on the sect) and make them go out and experience the "real" world for a while. They then get to decide whether or not they wish to remain in the Amish lifestyle or not. Almost all of the children remain Amish. I remember reading some studies on them, and they are considered one of the happiest groups in the US.

They don't really pay taxes either. They do most all of their work "under the table." Where I lived, the government always looked the other way. No one cared, and everyone wanted to hire them because they were the best craftsman and house-builders around. something

Edited by Illuminati - 15-Jul-2006 at 03:40
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2006 at 04:51
[QUOTE=Illuminati]  I'll never forget all the times I drove past a horse and Buggy that was blasting Rage Against the Machine.LOL For some reason, alot of the Amish teenagers are huge metal fans.[\QUOTE]
They need guidence.

morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2006 at 14:55
Originally posted by Sparten

Most Mennonite and Amish groups do not oppose modern medicine. Nothing in the Amish understanding of the Bible forbids them from using modern medical services, including surgery, hospitalization, dental work, anesthesia, blood transfusions, etc. They believe that good physical and mental health requires stewardship on the part of the individual and that good health is a gift from God.

"Morty

morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2006 at 15:01
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

I've heard the amish have a 'sowing of wild oats' tradition which allows adolecents to go out in the modern world and experience all what is to be had there, (exept sex of course) so that they can then make a honest decision to stay in the community or not. Apparently most of them do return.Is this true? It seems a good thing to me, if it is...

Yes, it is true. The young Amish is given many liberties into the "real world" which they will experience. They usually return to the Amish traditions in which they have been brought up.

As far as child birthing is concerned, some Amish women go to doctors and have their children in local hospitals, others go to birthing centers and some choose midwives to deliver the children at home. It is a matter of preference.

Edited by morticia - 17-Jul-2006 at 15:02
"Morty

morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 12:58
On October 2nd, 2006, a tragic event occurred in the quiet rural town of Nickle Mines, Pennsylvania in the Amish community. A 32-year old truck driver with a 20-year grudge entered the West Nickel Mines Amish School and, exclusively targeting females, killed five Amish schoolgirls and wounded seven others before killing himself. My heart, prayers and condolences goes out to the victims and their families for such a tragic occurrence in such a peaceful community.

Source: http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/10/03/america/web.1003slay.php

Funeral services held on Oct. 5th for some of the victims.

Edited by morticia - 06-Oct-2006 at 12:59
"Morty

Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 07:55
Hi morticia,

I also made a thread about the Amish recently, in case you're interested, here it is:

Regards.

Edited by Hellios - 18-Oct-2006 at 07:57
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 16:25
Originally posted by Hellios

Hi morticia,

I also made a thread about the Amish recently, in case you're interested, here it is:

Regards.

Hi Hellios! Thank you for sharing the thread in the women's history forum. Very interesting discussions!

Regards,
"Morty

Chodas View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Chodas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2006 at 18:20
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

I've heard the amish have a 'sowing of wild oats' tradition which allows adolecents to go out in the modern world and experience all what is to be had there, (exept sex of course) so that they can then make a honest decision to stay in the community or not. Apparently most of them do return. Is this true? It seems a good thing to me, if it is...

This is true but how do you think they cope in a big city if they come from a very rural background, with a closed community, diffrent habits and a aversion for technology?
So in my opinion it's a test they are supposed to fail.
Thunder rolled. ... It rolled a six.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 01:08
Originally posted by Illuminati

I've seen some that allow their children to put huge music systems in their buggies.

That is cool. The ultimate wog-box. I want to buy one of these buggies just to show it off.

I'm wondering why there are so many false rumours about the Amish around? Is it because they don't mix much with non-Amish or is it because people are too afraid to ask the truth?
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 15:19
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

That is cool. The ultimate wog-box. I want to buy one of these buggies just to show it off. I'm wondering why there are so many false rumours about the Amish around? Is it because they don't mix much with non-Amish or is it because people are too afraid to ask the truth?

Well, you can't ride the buggies on the expressways - they're pretty slow and you will always be late for work!

The Amish are very private and peaceful people. They prefer to stay away from the mainstream and live within their communities rather than in the big cities. They have excercised their freedom of choice to go without modern applicances or technologies.
"Morty

Post Reply Post Reply