Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Colonists and Europeans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Colonists and Europeans
    Posted: 27-Jul-2006 at 18:53
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

[
The Dutch East India Trading Compagny (VOC), (...), was a private holding, and the first business ever to sell shares, hundreds of them. In fact, it was perfectly normal even for people like housemaids to have a few shares in the VOC.

Ach I rickognize here the pride of the succesfull Northman ingrain with the belive that God's will gave him his blond hair, protestantism and capitalism to dominate the world and primarly its brown-ish latin cousin (I'm of course teasing you as far as I know you could be a female catholic coming from Indonesia...).

That said the european share holding system is about 9 centuries old and was first used in Italy for dividing one trip at a time the risks of merchant ventures. This very system was latter used for longer lasting associations all over Northen Italy mainly for banks (often refered as Monte di Pieta). by the late 15th century the Casa San Giorgio in Genova had over 15000 shares sometimes owned two at a time by orphans and widows. It was perfectly possible to trade them whenever whereever with whoever.

That said, the VOC, the first real joint-stock company as a much more modern taste. First because it is not a bank and second because of a ground breaking new device: the Amsterdam stock market whose moves were attentively followed Europe wide.

M. (avenger of the Latin pride)

Edited by Maharbbal - 27-Jul-2006 at 18:57
I am a free donkey!
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2006 at 04:38
Big smile
I am female and I come from a Catholic family (hough I'm an atheist myself), but yes, I am blond, originally. Sorry about that, I cant really help being born blond and blue-eyed, but I remedied it best I can: I have been redheaded for several years now...

An yes, I know the system of stocks is older than the VOC, but I meant that the VOC was the first independant trading compagny to have this modern structure. As I am a complete nitwit on economics, I keep mixing up terms and details. And yes, we are quite proud of it here in the Netherlands. You see, we are a tiny and insignificant country, but we were great then because of trade, and we are still rich today because of it. We heve to be proud of something, after all.... Wink

That being said, you are absolutely right, and I am wrong. Happy?

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2006 at 05:59
Well, that owned Maharbal.

The company that controlled the most of Canada was however, Hudson's Bay Company.

The Hudson's Bay Company (HBC) is the oldest commercial corporation in North America and is one of the oldest in the world. Its initials have often been satirically interpreted as "Here Before Christ". From its longtime headquarters at York Factory on Hudson Bay, it controlled the fur trade throughout much of British-controlled North Americafor several centuries, undertaking early exploration and functioning as the de facto government in many areas of the continent prior to the arrival of large-scale settlement. Its traders and trappers forged early relationships with many groups of First Nations/Native Americans and its network of trading posts formed the nucleus for later official authority in many areas of western Canada and the United States. In the late 19th century, its vast territory became the largest component in the newly formed Dominion of Canada, in which the company was the largest private landowner.

Rupert's Land, once controlled by the Hudson's Bay Company
Land once controlled by Hudson Bay Company.

Source:
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2006 at 07:21
WOW, That is a lot of land to be privately owned... pretty impressive...

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2006 at 07:32
Only in the 160's when the fur trading lost it's power, they sold parts of it... The company was started in 1670 so they had a lot of time to grow their land-amounts too.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2006 at 07:49
The Chinese colonised Taiwan.

It seems they are also in the process of colonising Tibet.

Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2006 at 20:39
Dear Aelfgifu, may I dare underlining the fact you shouldn't publicize that you are a readhaired catholic living in the Netherland, some have been burn on the stake for less with a witch tag around their neck...

I don't know much about the Hudson Bay company, but is it possible that the very term "privatly owned" be wrong? Indeed, I kind of have the feeling that the HBC's system was pretty close from the French Canada colonies that is some stronghold along the coast, a few forts and settlements in the wilderness and in between natives. The term controled area could have been just a optimistic way of putting: "a zone where we have less chances to get our scalps chopped off by some bloodthirsty redskins". Considering the size of the area and the number of soldier they had it is most likely the case. The eara was more a consortium of friendly tribes where the English tended to have the monopoly on fur trade and cod smocking positions.

M.
I am a free donkey!
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2006 at 02:46
Well, if they later on gave the land to the Dominion, they should have owned it... if there were forts, then they should be owned by the Company too.

I found out somerhing new: Swedish East-India Company; 38 ships and 132 voyages. I do not remember the exact dates but it survived for about 70 years.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12