Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Admirals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Admirals
    Posted: 03-Aug-2006 at 08:42
Well, with Indonesia they could so. When did they submit Indonesia?
TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2006 at 10:03

Denmark - Niels Juel

Poland - Arend Dickmann

Edited by TJK - 03-Aug-2006 at 10:08
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2006 at 10:10
Oh, that Juel seems as a great person. Quite cool. Impressive to say in other words.
TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2006 at 03:37
Originally posted by rider

Oh, that Juel seems as a great person. Quite cool. Impressive to say in other words.

I agree, probably best naval commanders of this period in Baltic area. Another interesting danish admiral was also Herluf Trolle He invented his own orginal "triangle" formation.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2006 at 03:54

Magnificent: all Danish admirals invent some formations...

The Swedish admirals in the Thirty Years' War weren't so impressvie. All they did was follow Karl X's orders (or Gustav's) and attacked or defended. Still, the invasion of Denmark on ships was impressive (the second invasion) but Karl X commanded that too.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2006 at 07:45
I didn't know about Juel. I only know about admirals if they were fighting the British. Unhappy But he did that too apparently, so maybe I should have done.

He had good tutors, didn't he?

In looking around aout this I came on someone who was British and not an admiral but I can't resist mentioning him anyway. That's Thomas Dockwray, chapalin in Victory [1] in the Second Dutch War, who is probably unique in having been promoted Doctor of Divinity (Cool) for gallantry in action.

There was a song about him:
"His chaplain fell to his wonted work,
Cried 'Now for the King and the Duke of York',
He prayed like a Christian and fought like a Turk.'

Well, with Indonesia they could so. When did they submit Indonesia?

Don't know.

Edited by gcle2003 - 04-Aug-2006 at 07:48
Jorsalfar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Jorsalfar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2006 at 11:35

Here is the best danish-norwegian admiral i know of      www.answers.com/Tordenskjold

This article does not include half of all the impressive things he did during the Great Northern War though.

Edited by Jorsalfar - 04-Aug-2006 at 13:05
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2006 at 16:10
Well, write those things then.

Gcle:
Nice song...  Who was the Duke of York? The Prince of England? A stupid answer but I can't find anything more logical.

The Victory wasn't the same as the later Victory, or was it?

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2006 at 05:24

Well, write those things then.

Gcle:
Nice song...  Who was the Duke of York? The Prince of England? A stupid answer but I can't find anything more logical.

Charles II's brother, who became James II, and was Lord High Admiral for a while - and, in fact, quite a competent seaman, though outmatched by the Dutch.

The Victory wasn't the same as the later Victory, or was it?

No. Different ship. There have been five ships named Victory in the Royal Navy:
1: a 59-gun ship bought in in 1560
2: a 2nd-rate (42-56 guns) built in 1620 and rebuilt with 82 guns in 1666, condemned in 1690
3: a 1st-rate (100 guns) built originally as the Royal James in 1675 and rebuilt in 1695, burnt in 1721
4: a 1st-rate (100) built in 1737, wrecked 1744
5: a 1st-rate (100) built in 1765, and technically still in service.

The one in the song is the second.

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2006 at 11:30
How can the fifth one still be in service? Wierd, it should be a long time gonner.

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2006 at 16:28
it is a musem ship in porthsmouth
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2006 at 17:24
Truly, Nelsons Victory exists? I don't believe you. How come it wasn't destroyed in the World Wars? In anything else?

Checked from Wiki, and it is true. On dry dock but she is there. Ofcourse, she wouln't sail out to war but she is there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12