Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

YO BOIZ...!!!! Guest what i found!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: YO BOIZ...!!!! Guest what i found!!!
    Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 22:30

"  Gunpowder is somewhat like Nukes in these days- those who have it don't want to teach it to other nations."

Far from it, early gunpowder is far from anything decisive, armies without gunpowder constantly triumph over those that does.

"This is, in fact, the earliest reference to true gunpowder, because even if a crude powder was invented during the Sung, the first reference to true gunpowder in China dates to the Yuan period. Whether or not it was a parallell invention we'll never now, but it doesn't matter since the issue was firearms - I just wanted to provide some background. "

The WuJinZhongYao did mention these ingredients.

The earliest excavation of handgun is a Yuan ynasty metal barreled gun dating to 1271 and 34.6cm long, with a calibre of 2.6cm,

"Then, for probably the first time in history, European technology travelled to China and not the other way around, mostly through Jesuits cooperating with Chinese scientists. The Portuguese introduced firearms in Japan in the mid 16th century, where it was quickly adopted - the Japanese soon made their own weapons, of top notch quality. "

Actually, when the Jesuit came the technology of China travelled to Europe at a pace never seen before. The technology travelled both ways. Jesuits wrote many articles about Chinese technology to Europe. Many of which regarding to agricultural methods, perhaps the seed drill and certain plows are traveled to Europe in which part of the agricultural revolution of Europe had its origin from. The Jesuits letters is clear from one quote "Its not just enough to spread our knowledge to the Chinese, but even more importantly, what they have to offer us." Other physical technology also traveled to europe such as paddle wheel boats. Then there is intellectual writing such as the Chinese administration and bureucracy as well as its system of meristocracy.

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2004 at 12:56
Originally posted by hannibal

Thx! It's clear now.

In ancient China,firearms can be classified into three groups: burning firearms; explosive firearms and ejective firearms.

In fact, rocket-like devices used by Arbs and Mongols in mid 1200s which mentioned in your background belonged to burning firearms. Chinese style guns belong to ejective firearms.

In 1040, WuJinZhongYao,a military encyclopaedia of Song Dynasty had given the minute directions for producing a kind of gunpowder. According the direction,14 ingredients composed of gunpowder, two main ingredients: 49% nitrate and 25% sulphur,also there are tiny bit of charcoal.

Yes, the pellet-shooting bamboo sticks of 1259 was the earliest gun of China, perhaps it'sa kind of handgun or gun? Certainly, this depended on the size of them.<A title=ʹͼ target=_blank href="http://img.pcpop.com/upimg2/2004/12/5/1876017956589800 .jpg"></A>

After 1949,the earliest metallic(made by bronze)gun(not handgun) of the world was found in China through excavation.The gun was produced in 1332(Yuan dynasty),with about 9cm calibre and a 35cm-long gun body.

<A title=ʹͼ target=_blank href="http://img.pcpop.com/upimg2/2004/12/5/2487614256295534 .jpg"></A>

I think, above is the answer.

Interesting info.
On WuJinZhongYao, the oldest edition is from the 1550s, so isn't it quite hard to tell from when the formula is? And I thought the formula contained one fourth of other ingredients as well?

Let's consider: who was the inventor of the first gun;the first handgun and the first metallic gun

The answer of the two first is quite surely the Chinese, the third is a bit harder though. The earliest Chinese gun is indeed the Yuan piece from 1332, while the earliest European is the Loshult gun from the same period. There are older references to metallic guns in Europe though, dating from the period before 1300. However it's quite impossible to tell who were the first - but whatever the answer is, it was surely a parallell invention anyway.

Originally posted by warhead

[TheWuJinZhongYao did mention these ingredients.

Yes - and a large part of other stuff. Gunpowder consists purely of those three elements. Anyway it's just a matter of definition, so don't get hanged up on it

The earliest excavation of handgun is a Yuan ynasty metal barreled gundating to1271 and34.6cm long, with a calibre of 2.6cm,

I don't think that gun has been rigorously excamined yet, but a first check deemed it to be a fraud. This based on the way the piece popped up (it was not duely excavated) and the bore indicated that it was created to use a kind of powder that was invented in Europe in the 15th century. The early study classified it as either a 16th century cannon or a modern forgery.

Actually, whenthe Jesuit came the technology of China travelled to Europe at a pace never seen before. The technologytravelled both ways. Jesuits wrote many articles about Chinese technology to Europe. Many of which regarding to agricultural methods, perhaps the seed drill and certain plows are traveled to Europe in which part of the agricultural revolution of Europe had its origin from. The Jesuits letters is clear from one quote "Its not just enough to spread our knowledge to the Chinese, but even more importantly, what they have to offer us." Other physical technology also traveled to europe such as paddle wheel boats. Then there is intellectual writing such as the Chinese administration and bureucracy as well as its system of meristocracy.

I won't argue against this, since it doesn't go against what I said, and is not wrong. However the agricultural revolution began earlier, and was largely based on native European inventions and improvements.

Edited by Styrbiorn
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2004 at 14:00
WuJinZhongYao, the oldest edition is from the 1550s

that is interesting, i didnt know this. There isnt a surviving piece from the Song at all?

The earliest european reference to gunpowder is in Roger Bacons 'Epistola de secretis operibus artiis et natuae' in 1267. Though there is no evidence, it is possible that he may have gotten some information from a fellow franciscan William of Rubruck who visited Mongke a decade prior.
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2004 at 16:34

I have no idea whether China taught others how to make guns.  But your logic here is flawed -- Europeans didn't deem it a problem when they taught Native Americans how to make guns.  Sometimes top military secrets would be given or traded for various reasons.

Actually they didn't teach them.  They sold guns at a high price- lots of beaver furs.  Or they gifted guns to help them kick other Europeans out.  And those were the French, with the intent to leave in harmony with the Natives, which is quite true.  English settlers however, were awarded money for every Native scalp.  You expect them to gift these Natives with real guns?

And I don't actually recall any historically recorded instances where China "taught" gunpowder.

Far from it, early gunpowder is far from anything decisive, armies without gunpowder constantly triumph over those that does.

I was referring it to a medieval age scale.  Like the standard weapon in middle age is a spear- gunpowders have the power of like 1000 spears.

Grrr..
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2004 at 21:48

Actually they didn't teach them.  They sold guns at a high price- lots of beaver furs.

That's exactly what I meant, and your logic is still flawed.  Your point was this: that one wouldn't give / sell / exchange / teach military secrets such as how to make guns.  The Europeans did sell military secrets for a number of reasons, as you noted.  Hence this logic fails as a general rule.

demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2004 at 02:35

That's exactly what I meant, and your logic is still flawed.  Your point was this: that one wouldn't give / sell / exchange / teach military secrets such as how to make guns.  The Europeans did sell military secrets for a number of reasons, as you noted.  Hence this logic fails as a general rule.

I don't get your logic.  These Natives merely had iron tech- bronze and copper at most.  They don't know how to even forge iron.  Europeans had gave them guns- and you know perfectly that you need iron (and lead for bullets at that time). 

But did the Europeans taught them how to forge iron?  Not really

Did Europeans teach Natives the formula to gunpowder?  Not really

Grrr..
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2004 at 03:22

Are you saying that the Indians got a bunch of rifles but never used them the way they were intended to?

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2004 at 03:34
Originally posted by MengTzu

Are you saying that the Indians got a bunch of rifles but never used them the way they were intended to?

He's saying he gave them guns but not the information on how the actually make guns, which is all that really matters when in comes to technology spread. Sure, reverse engineering is all fine, but you still need the prerequesites - such as advanced iron making/bronze founding when talking about guns.

Edited by Styrbiorn
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2004 at 08:05

Actually how to make nukes are taught, they are just not allowed to actually make them......

Gun powder formular from WuJinZhongYao:

For Canon

ʦ{Q|B۶C]笰@ء^BKvGbB¯ @B@Bw@B@B@BbBMo @BobBQפ@Q|B@o@C

For Spiked Canon balls

@|BKvGbB]Pʡ^BwCGbB GbB˯@@B¯@@BoGbBpoGbB Gb@@C

For Poison gas Canon balls

@QBKv@Q|BQYBݨBTr BoGbBpoGbB쬴BwMGbBGB @B˯@@B¯@@C

Hmm.... 2 teaspoon of this one table spoon of that, I am getting hungry...

Begging plea of the weak can only receive disrespect, violence and oppression as bestowments. Blood and sweat of the weak can only receive insult, blame and abuse as rewards.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2004 at 14:55

Hey demon,

In addition to my last reply, there's another problem with your logic.  You're looking at the scenario from hindsight -- it may be true that a lot of military secrets today at kept by the government, but this doesn't seem true back in ancient China, for the simple reason that a lot of weapons are crafts easily available in the marketplace, and I'd imagine that the knowledge of how to make guns wasn't a complex craft.  You seem to be projecting modern days, Pentagon type of politics onto ancient China.  Now, if there were craftsmans capable of making guns, I don't see why they would worry about "military secrets" when they could make profits by selling them to foreigners.

Peace,

Michael

12-9-2004

hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2004 at 16:42

By the way, looking at the formulas, the saltpeter contain percentage is not the ideal mix for today's canon bullets.  This results in the Canon ball did not make strong explosions, rather it made large sound and burn.

This is probably due to the canon was not as well made as later European improvements.  Therefore canon ball pakced with strong explosive could often result in exploding in the barrel, causing more damage to the user.

Therefore poison gas is used instead.

A interesting thing is the use of Asphalt in the canon ball.  Burning asphalt does produce pretty poisoness gas.

Begging plea of the weak can only receive disrespect, violence and oppression as bestowments. Blood and sweat of the weak can only receive insult, blame and abuse as rewards.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2004 at 21:28

"Yes - and a large part of other stuff. Gunpowder consists purely of those three elements. "

Thanks for the clarification. There is something that most people seem to be confused about, and thats the modern gunpowder has a different origin and root as well as design than the ancient ones, modern gunpowder is yellow powder, which has much chemical theory and science in it, whereupon the ancient gunpowder is the black powder that has severe limit in powser and a diffferent ingredient.

"I don't think that gun has been rigorously excamined yet, but a first check deemed it to be a fraud."

The source http://tech.enorth.com.cn/system/2004/06/09/000799394.shtml mentions that its already examined by the historians in which they labeled it #2565 and the inscriptions on it reads the time period from Zhi Yuan, which is the reign title of Yuan Shi Zu. While its size, shape and design is also quite different from the other Yuan cannons, and a lot different from the Ming which create firearms in unison. The Yuan as this newly exacavated one show did not have an organized industry. This cannon is now officially categorized as one of the 3 early mettl barreled finds.
Could you provide your source for claims of it as a fraud?

Quote:
Actually, when the Jesuit came the technology of China travelled to Europe at a pace never seen before. The technology travelled both ways. Jesuits wrote many articles about Chinese technology to Europe. Many of which regarding to agricultural methods, perhaps the seed drill and certain plows are traveled to Europe in which part of the agricultural revolution of Europe had its origin from. The Jesuits letters is clear from one quote "Its not just enough to spread our knowledge to the Chinese, but even more importantly, what they have to offer us." Other physical technology also traveled to europe such as paddle wheel boats. Then there is intellectual writing such as the Chinese administration and bureucracy as well as its system of meristocracy.

"I won't argue against this, since it doesn't go against what I said, and is not wrong. However the agricultural revolution began earlier, and was largely based on native European inventions and improvements."

Well, I'm only adding to the fact that its not one way since you said it was "rather than the other way around".

You can call the earlier agricultural innovations of middle age such as the 3 field system and the replacement of horse by ox, or the 16th-17th century innovations such as wide use of windmill in Netherland and introduction of potatoes and corns as new products as a "revolution" yet there isn't any marked increase in population or technology to sustain much over 80,000,000 people, southern Germany find itself consistently short of food production which led to a series of revolts in the early 16th century. The only true revolution only comes towards the end of the 18th century in Britain, with inventions such as the turn-plough with curved iron mould-board, the seed drill and the horse-shoe, as well as Jethro Hull 'horse hoeing husbandry' in 1731, and the growing of crops in rows of which some important ones might very well have come from China, which is what I said: "perhaps the seed drill and certain plows are traveled to Europe in which part of the agricultural revolution of Europe had its origin from" . Only the late 18th century development in England and Ireland could be considered a revolution in that it allowed a tremendous population boost and the ability to sustain them at a much greater rate than before and allowed a settling of a great amount of workforce for food production.

hannibal View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote hannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2004 at 04:02

To Styrbiorn:

"The answer of the two first is quite surely the Chinese, the third is a bit harder though. The earliest Chinese gun is indeed the Yuan piece from 1332, while the earliest European is the Loshult gun from the same period. There are older references to metallic guns in Europe though, dating from the period before 1300. However it's quite impossible to tell who were the first - but whatever the answer is, it was surely a parallell invention anyway. "

I said"Let's consider...", so, I 'm not making a conclusion.In fact, I tend to agree with your viewpoint about the third "first" if the record you presented were trustworthy. Europeans were bright guys at that time,I especially admire their good appetite in the following history.

As for the Edition of WuJinZhongYao, I don't know what the edition will prove.On my bookcase,the edition of most Chinese classic works,such as The Record of Histroy(ShiJi by Si Ma Qian of Han Dynasty), Zhuo Zhuan(History of Spring and Autum period),etc.  were during 1990s. But this does not mean that the content were changed by Chinese guys in 1990s.

Edited by hannibal
Who am I?
I'm General of Carthage;
Eternal biggest enemy of Rome.
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2004 at 19:03

But China never gave out the formula to other country.  Formula to create gunpowder- that can be used against China itself.  No sane man in his right mind owuld. (gun isn't gunpowder- anyone can make it if they know how to forge iron into shapes)

(Note from MengTzu): once again, I accidentally editted this post (I meant to quote and reply it,) so the contents above might be incomplete.

Edited by MengTzu
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2004 at 19:13

Hey demon,

But China never gave out the formula to other country.  Formula to create gunpowder- that can be used against China itself.  No sane man in his right mind owuld. (gun isn't gunpowder- anyone can make it if they know how to forge iron into shapes)

Are you saying that you have seen documentations saying that the Chinese dynastic states made an effort to keep formulas of guns and gunpowder a secret, or are you just guessing that the Chinese government rationally wouldn't do that?  If it's the former, I'd be interested to see your documents. 

If it's the latter, then you're still missing my point: the point is that you're imagining ancient Chinese government to operate like the Pentagon -- you're employing the problematic logic of hindsight.  Fact is that the knowledge of both guns and gunpowder could have been well known among craftsman (the legend, I believe, was that gunpowder was first discovered by Taoist priests accidentally stumbling upon it when they were trying to make the medicine of immortality.  It was not a state funded project.)  It's insane for the Chinese government to leak that info, but greedy Chinese merchants wouldn't have cared about "national" security.

Peace,

Michael

12-12-2004

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123