Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who is in Your opinion an icon of renessaince?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who is in Your opinion an icon of renessaince?
    Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 05:07
Aldus and Dufay are good ones. (I had to look up Dufay.)

But I don't think I'd class Galileo, Copernicus and Mercator as Renaissance. I see their discoveries and inventions as marking the beginning of the modern - Newtonian? - world.

(Incidentally and coincidentally, the italic script invented by Aldus was popularised in Northern Europe by Mercator.)
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2006 at 09:07
Aah, I just remembered! Petrarch! Surely he deserves the name of Icon of Renaissance?

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2006 at 18:23
Originally posted by gcle2003

But I don't think I'd class Galileo, Copernicus and Mercator as Renaissance. I see their discoveries and inventions as marking the beginning of the modern - Newtonian? - world.

(Incidentally and coincidentally, the italic script invented by Aldus was popularised in Northern Europe by Mercator.)

Well, the Renaissance has been called the transitional period from the Medieval to the Modern and is generally looked on as having been the period from 1350-1550. Having looked up a few things, copernicus lands pretty much in the middle of things 1474-1543, however Galileo is much later so I'll give you that one.  Mercator sort of falls on the cusp.Smile

Edited by red clay - 07-Sep-2006 at 18:27
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2006 at 01:34
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

Aah, I just remembered! Petrarch! Surely he deserves the name of Icon of Renaissance?

You could be right. Petrarch is sometimes called the first "modern man".

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2006 at 15:15
Originally posted by red clay

Originally posted by gcle2003

Well, the Renaissance has been called the transitional period from the Medieval to the Modern and is generally looked on as having been the period from 1350-1550. Having looked up a few things, copernicus lands pretty much in the middle of things 1474-1543, however Galileo is much later so I'll give you that one.  Mercator sort of falls on the cusp.Smile

I agree it's pretty subjective. However, I'd push the start of the Renaissance back to 1300 to get Giotto, Dante, Petrarch and some others in. The difficulty really is that the middle ages were still going on after the renaissance had begun, and the modern era (essentially the scientific one) began before the Renaissance finished.

So despite their dates, I would take Copernicus as modern - since he looks forward to the new age as Dante looks forward to the Renaissance, but Michelangelo and Leonardo as Renaissance because they mark its highest fulfillment (in the visual arts).

Edited by gcle2003 - 08-Sep-2006 at 15:15
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2006 at 03:01
Leonardo we can treat as a definition of Renessaince person. He had many various talents and He was interested in may diffrent things.

I don't know how it is in Your countries but in Poland "Renessaince Person" means a person who has various gifts, know many languages, knowledgable as well in maths, chemistry as in history or geography. So there is no better example than Leonardo da Vinci but as we want here to know people who are not as well known I would like to propose to talk about rulers. Who of them we can call truly Renessaince men or modern for his times?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 06:12
Lorenzo de Medici was a very colorful person in my opinion. especially all the artistic patronage that occured under his reign.

then i wuld say most of the Venetian artistic community. They were really the ones that (through Art) brought the Renaissance to the world.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 07:45
One thing's for sure.

There were lots of Renaissance persons in the Renaissance. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12