Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

romania ,who are they ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
galvatron View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote galvatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: romania ,who are they ?
    Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 01:47
i see the history book in malaysia ,it say that romania are not part of slav people ,i have a question are the romanian people is the descendant from roman people in roman empire ,thank you .
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 11:10

Yes, they claim to be the most eastern Latin folk of Europe...You can still see the statue of Romus,Romulus and the Wolf in center of Bucharest Wink

Romanians don't really look like Slavic people,too...And I haven't seen or heard any of them relating themselves with Slavs.

Edited by Kapikulu - 10-Sep-2006 at 11:11
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 11:37

I'm Romanian.

Romanians are surely the descendants of Eastern Latin speaking. There is disputed if they are descendents of the local population in Dacia (the name of Romanian territory in Antiquity) or of some Balkanic romanized population. But surely, they are not of other origin.

Anyway, the Romanians have less in common with Romus and Romulus (excepting characteristics of language), there were not Roman colonists from Italy nor in Dacia nor in Balkans. They are descendants of romanized Dacians or of romanized balkanic population (Thracians, Illyrians) or both, with add of other populations: Roman colonists from various provinces (like Syria or Brittany) also of migratory Barbarians like Germanics (Goths, Gepids), Turanic (Patzinakians, Cumans) and especialy Slavs.

Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 11:55
Menumorut, what about Roma people? Why are they more dense in Romania then other Balkan countries?
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 13:29

I think because the political regime in the Romanian principalities in late Middle Age (when Roma arrived in Balkans and today Romania, starting with 14th century) and later was more acceptable than in Balkans under the Turks.

In Wallachia and Moldavia the Roma were enslaved but this was not very bad for them. The slaves belonged to the prince of the country or to Boyars or to monasteries. This kind of life also make posible the growth of their number.

Today they are probably as many as 4 millions + 1 or 2 millions mixed Romanian-Roma, from a total of 21 millions population of Romania.

J.M.Finegold View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote J.M.Finegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 14:33
Isn't Romanian considered the closest language to the original Latin; at least, in terms of grammar, conjugation and declention.  I'm not sure if it was Romanian or Italian that was closest in vocabulary.
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 14:47

It was a discussion about this:
http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12961&PN=2

On Wikipedia is sayed that Romanian and Sardinian are closest to Latin in terms of grammar. In terms of vocabulary, Romania is perhaps the last among Latin languages, having a reat number of Slavic words.

Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 17:53
Originally posted by J.M.Finegold

Isn't Romanian considered the closest language to the original Latin; at least, in terms of grammar, conjugation and declention.  I'm not sure if it was Romanian or Italian that was closest in vocabulary.

Yes,indeed...It is very close to Latin..And my Romanian friends were all very easily able to learn Spanish and Italian.
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
 Post Reply Post Reply