Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Temple of Anahita (Artemis) at Kangavar (Concobar)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Temple of Anahita (Artemis) at Kangavar (Concobar)
    Posted: 26-Jan-2007 at 05:23

One of the seven wonders of the ancient world was the Temple of Artemis at Ephesus, it was famous for its great size but the great size of Temple of Ephesus was just 6,050 square meters (about 110 by 55 m), it means less than one seventh of the Temple of Kangavar which was 43,680 square meters (210 by 208 m).

One of the early references to such a temple is by the Greek geographer Isidore of Charax who reports that in Parthian territory, Ecbatana, the greatest metropolis of Media, retained a temple of Anahita where sacrifices were regularly offered. At Concobar (Kangavar) in lower Media, a temple of Artemis built about 200 BC, was standing when Isidore of Charax wrote, and some vestiges of this Greek-style edifice survive today.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2007 at 13:41
Kangavar, Kermanshah. My mother used to teach biology at a high school in Kangavar, I went there three years ago and it is VAST, really, it is so amazing and HUGE. It is right in the middle of the town.  The unfortunate thing is that it is not maintained in any way shape nor form, we were able to just enter and wander around sifting through the debris... we found pieces of broken, glazed pottery scattered everywhere... I don't think that proper archaeological work has even been carried out there since the darkness took a hold in 79.  The columns there are massive me, my uncle and two cousins, all over 6' put our arms around one and there was still about 1ft of space between the first person's hand and the last.  Amazing, if only it had not been ruined like this.

I have heard a few rumours as to its origins and demise:

1. that it was built during Hakhamanesh or Mahd period, was looted by the Salukis for the gold and destroyed in an Earthquake.

2.  That it was destroyed by the Arabs.

I think that the first scenario, or a varient of it,  is most likely, since if it was the Arabs, nothing much would be left of Ctesiphon either.

It was only discovered in the 60s or 70s after an Earthquake, so my uncle said. 

Edited by Zagros - 27-Jan-2007 at 04:26
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2007 at 14:43
Great, I never heard about it. Do you have any more picture of this temple ?
Anfører
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2007 at 14:54
I have many, but they are at my parents' home.

Edited by Zagros - 26-Jan-2007 at 14:54
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2007 at 17:26
Was Artemis worshiped in Iran?And whats her relation with Anahita?
"Hellenes are crazy but they have a wise God"
Kolokotronis
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2007 at 18:24
I think Cyrus is saying that they are equivalents, but I doubt it myself:

From wiki:

Anāhitā (or Nāhid in Modern Persian), whose name means "unstained" or "immaculate", was an ancient Persian deity. Her cult was strongest in Western Iran, and had extensive parallels with that of the Semitic Near Eastern "Queen of Heaven", deification of the planet Venus, eternal virgin (however many sexual encounters she had), goddess of war, love, and fertility Ishtar, who was probably derived from the Sumerian Inanna. Anāhitā may have been a direct borrowing from the Near East, or may have acquired Near Eastern characteristics from a confrontation between Iranian and Mesopotamian cultures.

Anāhitā is not present in the earliest parts of the Avesta; her cult would have been alien to the henotheistic spirit of the Zaraθutra (Zoroaster) presented in the Gāθās. By the later Avestic period, however, more lenient priests had adapted the goddess to the new religion. The fifth Yat, the "Hymn to the Waters", praises Anāhitā as "the wide-expanding and health-giving". "Strong and bright, tall and beautiful of form, who sends down by day and by night a flow of motherly waters as large as the whole of the waters that run along the earth, and who runs powerfully." In Modern Persian Nāhid (Anāhitā) is the name of the planet Venus.

Anāhitā was the goddess of pure waters and fertility (hence pomegranates being her representative fruit). Her temples where, therefore, built around natural springs, lakes, or major rivers. There are myriad bridges, castles and other buildings in Iran, Central Asia and Afghanistan, Azerbaijan and the Caucasus with the element "dokhtar" (daughter or maiden) as a part of their names (e.g., Pul-i dokhtar, Qala dokhtar, Diz-i dokhtar, Ab-i dokhtar). These all hark back to the ancient times and the existence of a shrine or a temple dedicated to Anāhitā. The full title of the Goddess was Ardvi Sura Anahita Shahr Banu--the Lady of the Land.

By the Hellenistic era, if not before, Anāhitā's cult came to be closely associated with that of Mithra. The Anahita Temple at Kangavar in western Iran and the magnificent temple in Bishapur in southwestern Iran are the most important Anahita temples.

Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2007 at 23:20

I just meant Artemis is another name of this temple, in fact the earliest mention of this temple is by Isidore of Charax who has called it "Temple of Artemis".

This website says it has been built by Artaxerxes II, 404 BC to 359 BC but it can't be so old. (I think it is said just because Artaxerxes II has mentioned in one of his inscriptions that he worships Anahita.)

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri - 26-Jan-2007 at 23:29
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2007 at 15:22
Anahita refer to venus planet as well.
Anfører
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2007 at 15:49
No, I think it is called Temple of Anahita for a better reason than that such as there being signs of her worship there.
gloria04 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote gloria04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2011 at 00:43
The first shrine of the goddess Artemis was probably built around 800 BC in a marshy strip near the river at Ephesus. The goddess Artemis of Ephesus, sometimes called Diana, is not exactly the same figure that was worshiped in Greece. Artemis was the Greek goddess of hunting. The Ephesus Artemis was a goddess of fertility and was often described as covered with eggs or multiple breasts, symbols of fertility, its size in the shoulders.

Tours Ephesus

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2011 at 18:06
My dear Gloria04, welcome! I would hope that you might well notice that the previous responders to this area, do not now reside at this site!

However, that should not keep you from posting!

I seem to feel that it is only the historians that have made the attributes of Artemis/Diana change thru out the centuries! In essence, this so called "pagan god" could easily pass as the "virgin mother
Mary?"

Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
 Post Reply Post Reply