Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Emergence of U.S power in Asia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Aydin View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aydin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Emergence of U.S power in Asia
    Posted: 04-Mar-2007 at 12:20
I need some sources to answer the following questions.

1. Involvement of U.S in the pacific, Asia, Carribean

2. Open door policy, impact on China

3. Immediate effects of U.S imperialism

Thank you.
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2007 at 15:07

The question to the first question is rooted within the U.S. - Spanish War, 1898, after which US got the control of Philippines,Guam, and established dominance and influence over the Caribbeans, as well as the control of Puerto Rico.

That was also when US first emerged as a true world superpower on the spotlight.
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2007 at 16:26
Originally posted by Aydin

I need some sources to answer the following questions.

1. Involvement of U.S in the pacific, Asia, Carribean

2. Open door policy, impact on China

3. Immediate effects of U.S imperialism

Thank you.

Well the single most important event is the arrival of the commodore Perry (I think in 1853) in the bay of Edo, he opened Japan to the West whereas the shogun had kept it afar from European influence since the 17th century. He imposed an open door policy (unequal treaty) upon Japan. Yet the Japanese where quite lucky in the sense that, although the US were imperialist they had other things to do than invade Japan (the frontier, civil war, Monroe doctrine) thus Japan had time to quickly industrialize during the second half of the 19th century. By 1880-90 already it was clear that Japan was strong enough to be able to lead its own politics away from the influence of any Western power and the risk of being colonized (unlike Indochina and Indonesia) or even torn apart as China was. In a sense, China save Japan by (1) being too big a pray and thus delaying the attack of the West on Japan (2) showing Japan it was impossible to resist industrialized powers unless you were industrialized as well.

The open door policy started because (1) China was weak because of internal rebelion against the Ching, Malthusian pressure and lack of industrialization but (2) China was too big and strong to be merely invaded (3) whereas when the English invaded India they only had to fight the French (and a bit the Dutch and the Portuguese) against China you had French, English, Russian, American, German and Japanese. So the only option was to create spheres of influence via trade and ingerences in the Chinese domestic policies. Thus when the Ching refuse to go on allowing the English selling opium in China, the English started the war.

I can't think of any "immidiate effect of US imperialism".
I am a free donkey!
Aydin View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Quote Aydin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2007 at 20:34
Thanks. I'll let you all know what grade I receive.
 Post Reply Post Reply