Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First book of the book club!

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which book?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [35.71%]
3 [21.43%]
6 [42.86%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
kilroy View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
AE Editor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First book of the book club!
    Posted: 14-Mar-2007 at 00:41
Hi all,

Welcome to the first poll for AE's new book club.  Thumbs%20Up.

This is how things will work.  There will be three types of books to choose from.  One nonfiction, one historical fiction and one 'classic.'  We will vote on a book and go with the most popular book Thumbs%20Up

I ask that only members interested in participating vote. 

Naturally my PM inbox will be open to any suggestions, however if you wish to suggest a book i would like you to keep in mind a few things; things such as length, availability, price and so on. 

Alright, first an overview of the books we have for this month! 

April 2007.
This months nonfiction,
Guns, Germs and Steel:  The Fate of Human Societies. 

Guns, Germs and Steel has become quite the controversially piece of literature.  Diamond attempts to explain why the Eurasian civilizations managed overcome other civilizations due to geography, demographics and ecological events instead of natural superiority.  Jared Diamond is a professor of geography at UCLA.   See the wiki article here -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guns%2C_Germs%2C_and_Steel  for more information

This months classic,
Survival in Auschwitz. 

Survival in Auschwitz is written by holocaust survivor Primo Levi, a Jewish Chemist living in Poland before he was deported in 1943 to the concentration camp, Auschwitz.  The book is his memoir and account of all of the experiences and horrors he had to face on a day-to-day basis.  This book has become one of the chief primary sources for the time. 

This months historical fiction is,
The Last King.

The Last King
is a novel revolving around the historical figure Mithridates VI of Pontus and his life and struggle against the Roman Republic, set in the first century BCE.  Mithridates brought Rome to war three times over the course of 40 years and even massacred nearly 80,000 Romans in Greece at one point.  Ford depicts Mithridates as Rome's most feared enemy, even more feared than the ancient boogie man Hannibal. 

All of the books mentioned above are paperbacks. 

Edited by kilroy - 29-Mar-2007 at 19:56
Kilroy was here.
Goban View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Goban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 03:06

I cannot vote in this poll for some reason but I'll vote for Jared Diamond regardless...Big%20smile

The sharpest spoon in the drawer.
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 11:11
there you go everyone should be able to vote now. Embarrassed
Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 12:08

I voted for ''The last king'', since I'm a big fan of Michael Ford, but I have to admit that I haven't read the other two books.

Edited by Giannis - 16-Mar-2007 at 12:09
Give me a place to stand and I will move the world.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2007 at 20:40
If guns, germs and steel win I'll actually participate in the book club I think.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
kilroy View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
AE Editor

Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 13:17
Oh wow, what we have here is an old fashion tie! 
Kilroy was here.
kilroy View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
AE Editor

Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2007 at 20:57
Just a notice, this poll will end on Monday the 26th, this will give the members a week to acquire the book and than on April the book club begins!

-kilroy
Kilroy was here.
T. Ape View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote T. Ape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 22:56
I just read the Last King and I would love to have a chance to discuss it.
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2007 at 00:25
Hmm, I'd have to choose "The Last King". Something lighter would be much easier right now, I have a lot to read for college.
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
kilroy View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
AE Editor

Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2007 at 22:23
Since we have a tie again, i'm going to keep the poll open a little longer.  Tongue

-kilroy
Kilroy was here.
kilroy View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
AE Editor

Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2007 at 11:23
Ok everybody.  Due to the uniqueness of you situation, we have decided that there will be two discussions.  One on Guns, Germs and Steel and one on The Last King. 

Dawn will be heading up the discussion on The Last King, and i will be heading up the discussion on Guns, Germs and Steel.  But of course if you wish to read both books and participate in both discussions that would be great as well Tongue

Happy reading everyone!  The discussion will begin on April 30th.  

No more voting. 

Edited by kilroy - 28-Mar-2007 at 11:27
Kilroy was here.
 Post Reply Post Reply