Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Westernization of Iranian clothing...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
drgonzaga View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

banned

Online Status: Offline
  Quote drgonzaga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Westernization of Iranian clothing...
    Posted: 09-Dec-2007 at 21:12
Zagros, I may be an old fuddy-duddy, but I do see elements of public dress just as portrayed on those photo-ops on regular forays into up-scale shopping malls! That experience even ignores the "costumes" of rap culture which replicates criminality more than anything else. Sometimes, I wonder just how people can walk comfortably with their pants hugging the groin! Cool
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2007 at 21:23
Those pictures posted by Mughaal are not representative in the slightest of Western clothing, unless one presumes that all people in the west wear is underwear! lol
drgonzaga View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

banned

Quote drgonzaga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2007 at 21:42
Is that dour Scottish Presbyterianism in action Zagros? But then the Scots are still a bit defensive over those Celtic kilts...OK I am pulling your leg here but Edingburgh hardly has a reputation as one of the flesh-pots of the Western World...now if we were discussing Campbells then all bets are off--OK another little snipe but then I am also a retired professor who saw a hell of a lot--including men in Daisy Duke shorts (called hot pants then)--passing through the ivied halls of Academia. Freedom of expression often takes very nasty turns...and frequesnt forays back to the old stomping grounds never fails to surprise with respect to the garments of favor!

Edited by drgonzaga - 09-Dec-2007 at 21:44
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2007 at 22:16
.  No, I am not ethnically Scottish as you may have observed had you read the first page of this thread and I also like to think of myself as well travelled, sophisticated and cosmopolitan! :P  I do live in Edinburgh and go to uni at the moment, however.   My point is not that those types of provocative garments do not exist, but that they are not mainstream.  People here, from what I have observed dawn garb not different from what I have seen in Boston, NY, London, DC or anywhere else in Europe. Save perhaps that they have a little more class than your average Scot.   I hasten to add that people from Edinburgh are generally not your average Scot either, on the whole...

Edited by Zagros - 09-Dec-2007 at 22:17
drgonzaga View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

banned

Quote drgonzaga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2007 at 23:39
I render everyone resident in Scotland as suspect and contaminated by the notions of either Knox or Hume! But then, such are my own petty prejudicesEvil%20Smile...  but then, why speak of the mainstream since they all operate under the old premise of bourgeois security: it is offensive to be different. Of course we could paraphrase Sydney Smith--that 19th century bon vivant and observer of manners--and underscore that it is never advisable to be the first to adopt a fashion nor the last to abandon it!

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2007 at 00:34
I render everyone resident in Scotland as suspect and contaminated by the notions of either Knox or Hume!

The sad truth is that about 80% of them wouldn't know what you'd be talking about.  why speak of the mainstream? In this case, because they define convention in such things as clothing.

and underscore that it is never advisable to be the first to adopt a fashion nor the last to abandon it!

Or in the case of my pet hate, skinny jeans, never to take it up int he first place on principle.
Mughal e Azam View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mughal e Azam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2007 at 07:45
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Maybe you should base your whole image of the Western world on advertising or MTV. That gives you as good an image as would a Westerner basing his opinions of the Muslim world on al-Qaida.

No i base my views on my High School and University life. High School is the biggest Fashion Show on earth and the numerous times the women were sent to the office because their skirts were too short.

As for basic life, Western clothes are still revealing.
Mughal e Azam
nova roma View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote nova roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2008 at 11:53
A great deal of women (teenage girls, ect) in the United States suffer from a lack of modesty in their clothing choices, which I find extremely unattractive. Thongs everywhere, especially on girls that probably should not be wearing thongs.

You Iranians have it easy! Imagine tho horror of witnessing a 160lb woman in a short skirt, thong, and a belly shirt (two sizes too small) which reads "#1 Bitch" or something to that extent. It's horrifying...
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2008 at 12:10
Originally posted by Mughaal

No i base my views on my High School and University life. High School is the biggest Fashion Show on earth and the numerous times the women were sent to the office because their skirts were too short.

As for basic life, Western clothes are still revealing.

We went to different high schools and universities then; almost no one wore skirts at mine.

And what do you mean with revealing? At most you can see someone's calves (at this time a year you'll be happy to see someones noses though). If you call that revealing, well, then there's nothing more to discuss.

drgonzaga View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

banned

Quote drgonzaga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2008 at 13:02
What! Reveal fat ankles and flabby thighs...by all the saints! The mystery of the sexual has nothing to do with how much flesh you flaunt before an unsuspecting passerby; and given present "tastes" I would throw borqas and kaftans over what passes as trendy on today's streets. Let us face it, dress has always been an expression of self-respect essentially (and in many instances an assertion of wealth), hence, there is little difference between the sense of the proper in Islam and the appearance of whoredom in a Western context on encountering either Brittany Spears or Chakira out for a public stroll! Not to date myself, but I still recall the reaction of young Spanish males when Swedish tourism first hit the beaches of La Costa de la Luz back in the 1960s...

kafkas View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote kafkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Feb-2008 at 03:48
Originally posted by nova roma

A great deal of women (teenage girls, ect) in the United States suffer from a lack of modesty in their clothing choices, which I find extremely unattractive. Thongs everywhere, especially on girls that probably should not be wearing thongs.

You Iranians have it easy! Imagine tho horror of witnessing a 160lb woman in a short skirt, thong, and a belly shirt (two sizes too small) which reads "#1 Bitch" or something to that extent. It's horrifying...

Bravo!!!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2008 at 19:42

clothing certainly is a way of assimilating ppl of another culture, take china for example, the manchurians first..

capcartoonist View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote capcartoonist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2008 at 08:31
Originally posted by pekau

Some call it civil disobedience, some call it freedom and rights of women. What do you think? Is Middle East changing too fast, or...?

Women with westernized clothing...

Notice the last picture, two women are shocked at the woman with westernized clothing...LOL

Actually, they don't seem to be looking at her at all. Tongue
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2008 at 09:52
Normally I'm not too fond of so-called Islamic clothing, but looking at the two women/goblins on the left one must be thankful they decided to leave their miniskirts at home that day.

And criticizing people for trying to look attractive is upside down. Our beauty makes up a significant part of how we are evaluated by others and it is always easier to love what it is beautiful than what is not. If you have a good body it only makes sense to wear clothing that shows it off, if you don't have a good body it makes sense to wear something that makes it look like you do. This way you'll get that job you wanted, attract the love of your life and maybe get a grade higher from your professor (yeah I actually overheard a professor in Latin once saying he gave a girl one grade higher than she deserved for being cute).

Human nature, resist it and live in frustration or embrace it and realize that no humans truly desire equality, morals or any form of self-denial. Rather we want power, wealth, pleasure, beauty and intellect, all of which radiate from our exterior being.
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2008 at 20:25
Originally posted by Reginmund

Normally I'm not too fond of so-called Islamic clothing, but looking at the two women/goblins on the left one must be thankful they decided to leave their miniskirts at home that day.

That was just...mean. 

LOL
The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2008 at 08:22
I know, maybe they're not really that ugly but they were a bit unfortunate with their facial expressions. 
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2008 at 15:53
You know what really irks me is Muslim girls int eh West who wear hejabs but skin tight everything else... surely the latter is more sexually provocative than showing your head hair (in fact the combination even more so, since I've always had a soft spot for hottie sin roosaris).  Ridiculous.  They probably just wear the hejab to keep their patriarchs happy and tease the rest of us with the clothing.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234