Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Where were the Russian army when Napoleon invaded?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where were the Russian army when Napoleon invaded?
    Posted: 21-Jul-2007 at 13:45
Sarmat, you are repeating unscientifical sources repeatedly. that shows me well enough that you have never read abook at all about this topic and i grow tired of feeding your nationalist troll behaviour. anyways, for sources about Borodino being a French victory, read "Borodino, the Moscova" by Francois-Guy Hourtoulle. he is most respected and has also written books about other victories by Napoleon. i never found it necessary to coem up with a source for that, i eman who would come up to prove that, for example Stalingrad was a German victory? :D

the account on Kutuzov shows falacities. for example, he didn't fought Drenstein, that was done by Bagration. second, it was not Kutuzov who advocated the retreat itno Russia but Barclay de Tolly, as me & rider told you a thosuand times already. the guy that wrote that article probably doesn't even know that barclay even exists at all. it was Barclay who advocated constant retreat, a startegy that costed the French 150,000 men due to exhaustion from forced marches to catch the Russian Army and skrimsihes which were won by the Russian subcomanders of Barclay & Bagration. Borodino did cost teh French nothing, but the Russian Army was shattered, while Barclay & Bagration were able to keep their armies intact tot hat point.

Napoleon, having failed to make peace with the Russians and being unwilling to spend the winter in Moscow, left the city in October. He tried to move southwestward, but Kutuzov blocked his attempt to proceed along the fertile, southern route by giving battle at Maloyaroslavets (October 19). By forcing the disintegrating French army to leave Russia by the path it had devastated when it entered the country, Kutuzov destroyed his opponent without fighting another major battle.

this is the most ridiculous part. in fatc it was Napoleon who ahs choosen his own path to retreat. he sent Murats cavalry to make a sally from Moscow towards the Russians to deceive them, on this occasion Murat overrun at least 2 Russian infantry columns, and only failed to destroy the thrid one because he didn't waited for the artillery to follow hsi charge. as for cources, this battle description i ahve from a strategical manual by the Wrttemberg staff general of cavalry, released in a book about cavalry in 1816, i have it as .pdf an can sent it to you if you can read German with gothic letters. Kutuzov had ZERO influence of the unfolding of those events.

Kutuzov's troops harried the retreating French, engaging them at Vyazma and Krasnoye, and the remnants of Napoleon's army narrowly escaped annihilation at the crossing of the Berezina River in late November.

another ridiculous statement. i have the regimental records of the Baden Hussars who together with the Hessen-Darmstadt Chevau-Legers under the command of the gifted General de Brigade Fournier(-Sarloveze) charged the advancign Russian infantry columns and overrun 3 columns of infantry before being thesmelves taken int eh flank by Russian Hussars and gotten destroyed. in all events the battle of Studyanka seems hardly as an almost annihialtion of French troops but rather of an almost annihilation of the Russian Army :D it were Cossack and partizan raids on isolated columns who really hurt the Grande Armees retreat, those battles fought by the main Russian Army did nothing to stop them nor defeat them in any way.

the source you posted has been prooven incorrect, what are the sources of this "article" anyways? if you won't bring up sources about Napoleonic Wars other than online crap written by nationalists i won't respond to you again. wikipedia and related sites are NOT reliable and due to their very nature will probably never be.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2007 at 13:48
Originally posted by Majkes

Besides Temujin is a great fan of Russian military. He claimed Cossacks to be the best cavalry between 1700-1900 which I personally think is a LOL joke.

he probably won't understand this anyways Wink but it is not a joke, i have presented sources and numbers. or you just don't want to accept that Polish cavalry wasn't always the best cavalry in europe?
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2007 at 13:52
Originally posted by Temujin

I have read dozens of books abotu Napoleonic Wars, inf atc it is my favourite hsitory topic, other than Steppe Hsitory. and most of them were written by scholars.

Yet, you even didn't bother yourself to give any references to the books you read.

Kutuzov obviously was defeated at Studyanka because it was his plan that got foiled, not that of Wittgenstein or Chichagov. Napoleon didn't won Krasnyi because he he didn't wanted to, thats why he has sent Neys rearguard to occupy the Russians so he could slip away with the rest of the army.

I still hope you have some common sense left. How Kutuzov could have been defeated if he wasn't physically present at the battle? Are you serious? He didn't give any actual orders at that battle. He didn't see any troops, any moves?

Chichagov had his own army and the general order to stop Napoleon's crossing. His defeat had nothing to do with Kutuzov, since the former didn't command Chichagov's troops at the battle. It's more than obvious.

Edited by Sarmat12 - 21-Jul-2007 at 13:53
Σαυρομάτης
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2007 at 14:00
i mentioned my sources in my posts. they are either mdoern works or if possible contemporary works.

also, as i mentioned several times before, Chichagov AND Wittgenstein were separated yb the Berezina river, they attacked on orders of Kutuzov. maybe it is a little far-fetched to say Kutuzov was defeated, i concede, but it was Kutuzovs plan, thats what i wanted to say.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2007 at 15:16

Sarmat, you are repeating unscientifical sources repeatedly. that shows me well enough that you have never read abook at all about this topic and i grow tired of feeding your nationalist troll behaviour. anyways, for sources about Borodino being a French victory, read "Borodino, the Moscova" by Francois-Guy Hourtoulle. he is most respected and has also written books about other victories by Napoleon. i never found it necessary to coem up with a source for that, i eman who would come up to prove that, for example Stalingrad was a German victory? :D

the account on Kutuzov shows falacities. for example, he didn't fought Drenstein, that was done by Bagration. second, it was not Kutuzov who advocated the retreat itno Russia but Barclay de Tolly, as me & rider told you a thosuand times already. the guy that wrote that article probably doesn't even know that barclay even exists at all. it was Barclay who advocated constant retreat, a startegy that costed the French 150,000 men due to exhaustion from forced marches to catch the Russian Army and skrimsihes which were won by the Russian subcomanders of Barclay & Bagration. Borodino did cost teh French nothing, but the Russian Army was shattered, while Barclay & Bagration were able to keep their armies intact tot hat point.

Napoleon, having failed to make peace with the Russians and being unwilling to spend the winter in Moscow, left the city in October. He tried to move southwestward, but Kutuzov blocked his attempt to proceed along the fertile, southern route by giving battle at Maloyaroslavets (October 19). By forcing the disintegrating French army to leave Russia by the path it had devastated when it entered the country, Kutuzov destroyed his opponent without fighting another major battle.

this is the most ridiculous part. in fatc it was Napoleon who ahs choosen his own path to retreat. he sent Murats cavalry to make a sally from Moscow towards the Russians to deceive them, on this occasion Murat overrun at least 2 Russian infantry columns, and only failed to destroy the thrid one because he didn't waited for the artillery to follow hsi charge. as for cources, this battle description i ahve from a strategical manual by the Wrttemberg staff general of cavalry, released in a book about cavalry in 1816, i have it as .pdf an can sent it to you if you can read German with gothic letters. Kutuzov had ZERO influence of the unfolding of those events.

Kutuzov's troops harried the retreating French, engaging them at Vyazma and Krasnoye, and the remnants of Napoleon's army narrowly escaped annihilation at the crossing of the Berezina River in late November.

another ridiculous statement. i have the regimental records of the Baden Hussars who together with the Hessen-Darmstadt Chevau-Legers under the command of the gifted General de Brigade Fournier(-Sarloveze) charged the advancign Russian infantry columns and overrun 3 columns of infantry before being thesmelves taken int eh flank by Russian Hussars and gotten destroyed. in all events the battle of Studyanka seems hardly as an almost annihialtion of French troops but rather of an almost annihilation of the Russian Army :D it were Cossack and partizan raids on isolated columns who really hurt the Grande Armees retreat, those battles fought by the main Russian Army did nothing to stop them nor defeat them in any way.

the source you posted has been prooven incorrect, what are the sources of this "article" anyways? if you won't bring up sources about Napoleonic Wars other than online crap written by nationalists i won't respond to you again. wikipedia and related sites are NOT reliable and due to their very nature will probably never be.

Sorry, but I am the last who can be blaimed in Nationalistic crap. Usual Russian Nationalistic crap about Napoleon's invasion is that Napoleon was defeated in all the battles in 1812. And his biggest defeat was Borodino. I never posted smth. like that. It seems, that you didn't actually read what I think. And I think that Borodino, was a formal French victory. However, I also noted that this outcome is disputed by some sources. And I gave these sources, when you said, that it's not disputed. You will also never, find a "biased Russian nationalist" who thinks that Russian generals were worse than French, which I think. I am actually biased for Napoleon, who is my favorite general.

I gave references for my points. The last quote was not from Wikipedia, but from Encyclopedia Britannica, which is the reliable source and is used as a source in scientific works by academics through out the world.

If you didn't like it, it doesn't mean that you are right. It could mean only, that your sources conflict with Britannica. But you can't prove something just by saying, "it is proved that this article is incorrect".

Who are you?  The brightest authority on the Napoleonic wars, the professor who wrote the books of his own?

I tend to trust Britannica more than you, and even Wiki looks better than the nonsense you write here.

Edited by Sarmat12 - 21-Jul-2007 at 15:22
Σαυρομάτης
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2007 at 16:39

Originally posted by Majkes

Besides Temujin is a great fan of Russian military. He claimed Cossacks to be the best cavalry between 1700-1900 which I personally think is a LOL joke.

he probably won't understand this anyways Wink but it is not a joke, i have presented sources and numbers. or you just don't want to accept that Polish cavalry wasn't always the best cavalry in europe?

Ok, don't start againLOL. I know it wasn't the best in ancient timesBig%20smile.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 14:53
Originally posted by Sarmat12

Who are you?  The brightest authority on the Napoleonic wars, the professor who wrote the books of his own?

I tend to trust Britannica more than you, and even Wiki looks better than the nonsense you write here.

i prenseted you soruces which are either first hand accounts or world-reknown authors about Napoleonic Wars. Britannica is just a generic encyclopedia that does no intensive in-depth research.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 21:00

i prenseted you soruces which are either first hand accounts or world-reknown authors about Napoleonic Wars. Britannica is just a generic encyclopedia that does no intensive in-depth research.

It's hard for me to evaluate the sources you were writing about, especially first hand account written in German. I also read a dozen "first hand accounts" written in Russian by several generals, who describe the anhilation of French on several occasions in different engagments during 1812.

It is true that Brittanica is a general source. But the things which are written there didn't come from nothing. People who wrote it care about what they write. And they definetely take the information from in-debth sources.

I think the conclusion, you can make after reading it is that: "there are conflicting views on some events" or "interpretation of some events are arguable." But it would be a stretch just to say, "no it's wrong" without a sufficient research.
Σαυρομάτης
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234