Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Spain and her wake-up call at 1898

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spain and her wake-up call at 1898
    Posted: 29-Mar-2007 at 15:39
I have read another article on Spain of which I have a huge attachment for. (So much that I hope I get to live there someday). Now I have looked at an interesting essay talking about Spain's history concerning 1898. This like the title says was a huge wake-up call to Spaniards all around Spain and broke the facade that was Spain's power to the people.

While Spain was losing it's conflicts in mainland America, the Spaniards did not see it so much as just a civil war of brothers. The Spaniards both in high government and general populace considered the people in the colonies as spaniards as well and believed that whoever wins or loses that the people in America will have some affiliation to Spain. This was to cushion to the hurt of nationalistic pride.

But it can be speculated that if Spain lost all of her overseas territories back in 1830 then her economic and social development would have been healthier, and slip easily into her second-class status. However, she slammed into her second-class in just one year which is when she lost the last of her possesions in 1898.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2007 at 20:35
Pretty sad. That was the beginning of the turmoil that ended in the Spanish Civil War and Franco's dictatorship.

The decadence was visible in Spain at the end of the 19th century. At the time Spain had the technology to blew the American fleet away. Monturiol and others were ahead of the rest in the developing of submarines. But the state wasn't interested in expending money to put those prototypes to work, and when the time came, the Spanish fleet was a pitty. Otherwise, the Spanish American war could have had other result.

However, Spain also need a lesson at those times. The true is that Spain's former colonies were indiferent to Spain's fate. After all, Spain was attacking them and bombarding theirs ports up to some decades before the events of 1898.

Like all the former powers, Spain had to learn to leave theirs colonies free. Pretty sad there are still countries that have colonies and that haven't learn the lesson... as yet.

Post Reply Post Reply