Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ayn Rand

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ayn Rand
    Posted: 22-Apr-2007 at 12:45
What are your views about this author who has been heralded as one of the leading writers of objectivism and a supporter of capitalism and individualism..She definitely has an interesting philosophical style, I must say, after reading only 60 pages from Atlas Shrugged
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
kilroy View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
AE Editor

Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2007 at 14:39
I've honestly never even heard of Ayn Rand, although i have heard of Atlas Shrugged, and have heard both good and bad reviews on the book.  What else has she written?  And how did you like Atlas Shrugged?
Kilroy was here.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2007 at 15:33
She is famous for being a philosopher who refused to ever wright a constructed philosophy book. Her numerous followers did it for her. She wrote things that went directly to the mass: novels and screenplays.

I've never bothered to read anything considering that I'm poorly apealed by her thoughts. I consider it as being a form of fascism under disguise.

But I've seen the Fountainhead an adaptation of one of her most famous novels. She wrote herself the screenplay meant to show how the individual (the superman to be precise) can change the course of history.

The film was so bad and ridiculous the whole room was constantly laughing. It was a bit like Lena Riefenschtal goes goofy.
I am a free donkey!
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2007 at 18:10
The Ayn Rand I know of was a Fan Dancer.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2007 at 09:45
Originally posted by Kapikulu

What are your views about this author who has been heralded as one of the leading writers of objectivism and a supporter of capitalism and individualism..She definitely has an interesting philosophical style, I must say, after reading only 60 pages from Atlas Shrugged

By the time you've read maybe 60 more pages of Atlas Shrugged you'll probably realise how absurdly out of touch with reality she was.

That anyone could write a novel as late as 1957 in which the railroads in the US are the great coming industrial thing (rather than almost as dead as a dodo) is pretty unbelievable.

If she'd written it in 1907 it might have been more acceptable.

Edited by gcle2003 - 30-Apr-2007 at 09:45
Dan Carkner View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2007 at 12:17
I've noticed that most people who cite Ayn Rand as their favorite author tend to be absolute creeps.  (Self-centred, intolerant of others and "weakness")
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 01:12
Originally posted by gcle2003

Originally posted by Kapikulu

By the time you've read maybe 60 more pages of Atlas Shrugged you'll probably realise how absurdly out of touch with reality she was.

That anyone could write a novel as late as 1957 in which the railroads in the US are the great coming industrial thing (rather than almost as dead as a dodo) is pretty unbelievable.

If she'd written it in 1907 it might have been more acceptable.

Same with the architecture her character defends in the Fountainhead. Which has more to do with 1930s skyscrapers.

Much better in the same style: Japanese film director Kobayashi (see in particular his wonderful Harakiri).
I am a free donkey!
 Post Reply Post Reply