Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

History is such an unpopular subject...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
zeno View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote zeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: History is such an unpopular subject...
    Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 12:58
As a history student/fan in the UK, it annoys me that the average knowledge of history is so poor

its called 'boring' and 'geeky' and is an easy target for mockery

how do we get around this?

hollywood has definately demonstrated that historically accurate movies are not worth making / impossible

it makes me weep that brad pitt & co. fooling around and talking in a very strange way is what most people now understand as the Iliad

for Alexander, the onscreen dates had to be changed in the USA because it was thought people would not understand that years BC run backwards Dead

WW2 gets more attention than any other period put together, yet the foundations of nationalist europe are ignored

what does WW1 to mean to most people? sitting in a muddy trench writing poetry

of course no one should be forced to learn something they are not interested in, but it feels like many people are not even given a chance

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 13:47
It is my experience that a lot of people find history quite interesting, albeit as a hobby rather than an occupation. (much like I consider natural sciences in fact. Interesting, but not so much you want to study it... Wink)

The general reaction to my study is 'gosh, that is so interesting... but what kind of work can you get with it?' LOL Overall, I would say interest in history has defenately been on the increase in this country lately.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
zeno View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote zeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 14:25
good to hear

anyone/where else
Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Ovidius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 19:39
The Average knowledge of hte past in the UK is actually pretty good, especially when compared to otherp people and their History.

You appear to be complaining about the methods of teaching history to Kids in Schools - well kids are taught in the curriculum about many periods and about many different parts of History.

The foundations of Nationalism in Europe are rather obscure and really are not particularly easy for anyone under University level or at least Sixth form to understand. WW2 and modern History get the most attention because of the significance placed upon it for contemporary society and identity. WW2 is extremely significant to the way in which people think today and is part of the Countrys living past. However, Schools are diversifying their points of study, from the Tudor period, to 60's culture. There has been a lot of effort put into making history in schools much more than just war. If you look back 40years there has been a MASSIVE improvement, it is probably the most improved subject within the curriculum.

Movies are about entertainment. They are historically accurate to an extent. In Troy a Historian from Oxford was used and is actually in the Film, his advice was used extensively in attempting to make the film as close to the History as possible. Personally, I don't think they have done a bad job of it. As for Alexander, i've no idea, I haven't seen it. The worst films are those that attempt to 'change' history in some way - Braveheart for instance.

Anyhow, how to get around history being seen as boring subject? Well by having good teachers - all subjects in all schools are viewed in terms of the teachers and not the subjects.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 20:27
Perhaps the decline in history may be seen as a part of a decline in the overarching power of the nation state itself. Once upon a time the state was the key institution in all our lives, therefore we required something to help us grasp our identity and sense of being. History was the ideal subject for this. Now that the world is increasingly globalised and corporatised, the emphasis has shifted away from nationalism - history becomes more of a hobby than a practical tool.
Lord Ranulf View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Lord Ranulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 22:19
Now that the world is increasingly globalised and corporatised, the emphasis has shifted away from nationalism - history becomes more of a hobby than a practical tool.

Very true in many cases and yet history will not be moved an inch or lose any value in and of itself, because of that--- because we here participating on this fine forum are actually helping make it.

As to it's commercial applicability--well my friends that's a different story in certain cases; but history herself cares not about commercialization as a sole enity, but the reporting of it, and the factors that make up it, and every other day to day activities of men.

History is an art for me and like art, she will always be appreciated by me.

Lord Ranulf
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2007 at 14:00
I think history is so wide ranging that there's something in it for everyone. If you don't like one area of history, there's always another that you might find interesting. Depending on your point of view it's about your national identity (wherever you are from), it's an almost limitless collection of fantastic and true stories or it's a detective game as you hunt for clues to unlock the past.

I gave up history at school when I was 14, but love the subject now, so my school must have been doing something wrong. I think where possible schools should show children that history is exciting, work with them to find out what areas of history they are most interested in and develop their interests. Living history museums, exhibitions and events really help here, and can help get children and adults into history (in the UK, English Heritage do a range of living history events, including an annual 2 day 'Festival of History' which is fantastic).

I also agree that good teachers are vitally important for getting children into history.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2007 at 15:08
its called 'boring' and 'geeky' and is an easy target for mockery

As far as school history is concerned, this is 100% true.
Which is the root of the issue.
Arrrgh!!"
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2007 at 23:44
To learn history in school takes a good teacher, and good teachers who can make the subject interesting are hard to find. I had no interest history at school because the teachers had no style. If they had of been what you see on TV nowdays, sophisticated and caring men or women who put passion into the subjects, the students would not have wanted to go home.
elenos
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2007 at 01:00
I think that the problem lies in the increasing role of the corporations in governing public life. On the one hand it creates a shift in social values towards the appreciation of profit as the sole meaningful occupation in life. Which is why we hear commenst such as 'gosh, that is so interesting... but what kind of work can you get with it?', which is a way to say that since you can't make money with history, it is not worthwhile. On the other hand, historical knowledge arms people who are thinkers with dangerous knowledge which could potentially conduce to ideas subversive to the corporate establishment. History thus becomes relegated to the status of hobby, popular history to the realm of myth (money-making of course), history in schools is given few resources and thus is taught by poor teachers. A good historian is also a social and political scientist who can become aware of propaganda or political manipulation. This is not the kind of person that large scale institutions encourage. The apparent success of history as a subject in the 19th century was due to the use of history as a propaganda tool by the state. Since the state is losing ground to institutions which have found other ways of making use of history (entertainment as opposed to propaganda), we see a decline in the prestige of history.

Edited by Decebal - 09-Jul-2007 at 01:02
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2007 at 01:23
Well said Decebel! congratulation on expressing the problem so well. I would add that history is making something of a small comeback through TV where you see the places,  the problems and the people, but not enough to halt the general slide. Like in global warming once the icecaps of accumulated knowledge go into meltdown who knows were it will all end. 
elenos
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2007 at 23:25
 There is a problem, and it's almost the same problem as with math; "Boring" or "geeky".  part of the problem is the way it is often taught: In the year 1465, this happened, which helped along the revolution of so-and-so. History should be taught, i think, in a more hands-on fashion. Learn what civil war medics had to do to get people off the battlefield by making a stretcher in the same style, and having students lift it. Explain in detail how ancient surgeons could remove an arrowhead from the skull. Ask students what they would do in a historical figure's shoes. Give colorful imagery.

I love history, for two reasons. First, the old statement-those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. It really helps to understand where you're going.

Also, to study history requires a certain amount of knowledge in many fields, from engineering, biology, math, anthropology, sociology, and chemistry to  economics, political science, and art.  History makes you better at everything else, because what you're studying is, essentially, a compilation of almost every field imaginable. 

You are right that history can seem too dry for some. but it doesn't have to be that way, much like many other fields that are viewed similarly.

Edited by TheARRGH - 13-Aug-2007 at 23:27
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 02:59
I would disagree that it needs brilliant teachers, but for someone who is really interested in history, wouldn't they be using their own inititive? I have never had any education in classics and ancient history - but now I know far more about it that any of the stuff I did at school. I would say that outside influences also need to encourage history (papers, news, internet etc.) - like the history matters campagin in Britain recently.
I would agree that the constant remembering of dates is one of the factors that simply puts people off. I think it's important for people to understand that it's more a matter of method and historiography than picking up dates and remembering them, which would just make you a chronicler and not a critical historian. For example, I don't remember many dates about the Ottoman empire from Caroline Finkels Osman's dream but I got a general feel for the Ottoman empire through reading that book - dates don't neccesarily make a historian.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 03:59
Those not-so-brilliant teachers can easily mess up it if you ever thought it was interesting.

And I have to agree, mostly, at the school (and I believe also at the Uni) levels, when you are good at history you are an abnormal entity... :p

And Aster is correct... Dates aren't important. It's what happened on those dates that is important. Most teachers also pursue the dates and that's what irritates people.
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 13:21
too true..
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Post Reply Post Reply