Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Turkish would be fun to learn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turkish would be fun to learn
    Posted: 21-Jan-2008 at 21:41
Turkish is an interesting language and I picked up a lot in the time I was in Istanbul but I am starting to forget most of it. I have found some online programs but the same thing is happening that happened with my attempt to learn Greek, no one to practice with in an English speaking world.

Swedish would be interesting but I should have stayed with Spanish, I have also forgotten most of what I had learned in college, darn

I think Turkish is much easier than Greek though because it has no articles and masculine/feminine nouns like English (few) and especially Spanish and Greek. I also noticed it is not a fast language like Greek and Spanish can be.

Why is our culture (US) so resistant in learning other languages? It is starting to change though. My late grandfather (Papoo) knew seven languages but he was from Europe.

Edited by eaglecap - 21-Jan-2008 at 21:43
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2008 at 22:41
I knew some Turkish now its relegated to little, I am planing to pick up more of it for heritage purposes, and academic.  
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2008 at 00:03
Originally posted by es_bih

I knew some Turkish now its relegated to little, I am planing to pick up more of it for heritage purposes, and academic.

That is why I wanted to learn Greek but German is also part of my heritage but I hear it is very hard to learn whereas I found Turkish easy to learn.

Spanish is not hard but confusing for me.

I can still count to 29 in Turkish and ask for a cup of coffee but it is amazing how fast it leaves you.

Edited by eaglecap - 22-Jan-2008 at 00:04
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2008 at 00:51
I speak fluent German as well. It was easy for me, however, I have lived in Germany throughout my grade-school so not on the same parameters.

Even with German if you do not use it for lengths of time you start using English words etc. However, a day or two of full usage everything freshens up.

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2008 at 01:30
Originally posted by es_bih

I speak fluent German as well. It was easy for me, however, I have lived in Germany throughout my grade-school so not on the same parameters. Even with German if you do not use it for lengths of time you start using English words etc. However, a day or two of full usage everything freshens up.

Even though 23% of our populatoin in my city has German heritage few people speak it. Except in the Hutterite colonies and even then it is a different dialect than spoken by people in Germany, they cannot understand each other very easy. The Hutterites are like the Amish and tend to seclude themselves on colonies. I only know of one person who is full blooded Turkish but I do not know him personally. He owns a nice Italian/Greek resturant in Post Falls, Idaho called the White House, fantastic food!! I know I will return to Turkey someday so I want to at least learn the basics.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2008 at 03:19
Lincoln Square here in Chicago is basically a German Town, alongiside two german speaking AM radio programs. Pretty much any ethnicity has a little center here. On the north side of the city there are a lot of Turkish and Bosnian places. etc..

kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2008 at 09:26
Eaglecap, this is a helpful site for learning Turkish; you can contact with many people and learn Turkish for free: http://www.turkishclass.com/
[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2008 at 11:08
I also want to learn turkish, but finding a teacher is difficult and expensive. There are some books for learning turkish in Greece, I found two in the last Book Expo in thessaloniki, but I've got none.
I'll try to use kotumeyil's link, which seems to offer the same or more as a book.

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2008 at 20:34
Originally posted by kotumeyil

Eaglecap, this is a helpful site for learning Turkish; you can contact with many people and learn Turkish for free: http://www.turkishclass.com/

Thanks
I will check it out. I would like to come back to Turkey and Greece for a future vacation in a year or two. I would take 2-3 weeks off and fly to Athens and then go see my friend in Thessoliniki and on to Nea Orestiada to find my relatives. I would then cross over to Turkey and visit my friends in Istanbul and then on to Ephesus and Cappadocia becuase I missed these on my last trip to Turkey. I would fly back via Istanbul, Turkey. I like to plan ahead but this all could change because I may take my girlfriend to Scotland but the compromise would be the British museum. Don't get me wrong next to Greece Scotland is my second favorite place to visit. Turkey is also great!!! Sweden-Norway someday!! Alaska high in list also!!
 Post Reply Post Reply