Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Takht-e Suleiman, an Iranian wonder

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Takht-e Suleiman, an Iranian wonder
    Posted: 31-Jan-2008 at 11:38

Seven Wonders and One Deception

The great religious center of the Zoroasterian Orthodoxy Adhar Ghushnap Praaspa (todays Takht e Suleyman) in the northern confines of the Iranian province of Kurdistan existed already at the times of Callimachus.

However, that part of Iran had not been invaded by Alexander, and for 80 years (330 250 BCE) his successors, the Seleucids, only nominally ruled that province that rose to religious and architectural significance in the later Arsacid (Parthian, 250 BCE 224 CE) years and was promoted to foremost sacredness mostly in the Sassanid times (224 651 CE), when every newly invested Shah of Iran, immediately after his coronation had to walk on foot from Tesifun (Ctesiphon, in the south of todays Baghdad) to the Great Sacred Enclosure of Adhar Ghushnap (a distance of more than 500 km through the almost impenetrable Zagros mountains).

It was there where the Holy Fire was never extinguished, it was there were Marc Anthony failed against the Parthians, it was there where the Original Copy of Avesta was preserved. Around an until recently believed as bottomless lake out of which flows an unusually warm, healing water, several sacred buildings were located within an enclosure built at a height of 3000 m. Many remains and the entire enclosure have been preserved down to our times, as the Islamic invaders did not destroy a markedly monotheistic religious center.

Certainly Takht-e Suleyman is far more important as achievement and as contribution to the formation of the World History than places like Machu Picchu, Colosseum and Chichen Itza. Simply Iran is highly unpopular, and tourism in Iran was never a major concern for the voting masses who never heard of Takht-e Suleyman let alone saw a picture.

Of course, it was wise for UNESCO to take some distance from the debased effort to offer the right to select to those who have no such right, but one may wonder whether this statement is truly enough.

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2008 at 19:46
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Certainly Takht-e Suleyman is far more important as achievement and as contribution to the formation of the World History than places like Machu Picchu, Colosseum and Chichen Itza. Simply Iran is highly unpopular, and tourism in Iran was never a major concern for the voting masses who never heard of Takht-e Suleyman let alone saw a picture.

That is highly debatable, Cyrus. The Coliseum for instance was a very important building in Roman history, since it was arguably the most important element in controlling the core city of an empire whose importance one cannot deny. Chichen Itza can be seen as one of many Maya city-states, though it was one of the most important and it is one of the best preserved. Whether a pre-Islamic Iranian sanctuary is more important than it, depends on one's point of view and bias. You won't get much argument for the (lack of) importance of Machu Picchu as a site important for history, but it is however a very important site for archeology...

Anyway, nice pictures. As far as I'm concerned, I would love to go to Iran someday, and it is high on my list of places to visit. I'll make sure to add Takht-e-Suleyman to the list of places to visit on that trip.
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2008 at 15:55
As I gave its link, it is an article from Buzzle.com, I myself believe there are several more important buildings in other countries, even in Iran.
Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2008 at 12:32
Thanks alot for the wonderful pictures, I was looking for some new pictures of it (as I had some old ones) and there you go, you did me the favor, so once again thanks for it.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2008 at 14:43
I wish it were better preserved.
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2008 at 18:20
You are welcome! Smile
Julius Augustus View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Julius Augustus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2008 at 06:24
i share the same wish, alas Iran seems to be destroying their pre-islamic past. 
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2008 at 07:00
Cyrus @ are they rebuilding the monument with modern material like cement and bricks.
( Miras farhangi dare ba ajor va siman bana ro tarmim mikone bejaye block haye sangi? ) Confused 
Anfører
 Post Reply Post Reply