Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How do you teach yourself a language?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
AE Editor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do you teach yourself a language?
    Posted: 01-Feb-2008 at 02:56
How do you teach yourself a language? Or a better question what do technique or method do you use to teach yourself a different tongue then your native one?

The reason I ask is I'm interested in pursing a language on my own.    
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2008 at 10:45
Ideally, learn the basics and relocate for a few months to a year to the or a country which speaks that language - so that you're forced to learn and use it - otherwise it's a waste of time IMO.
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2008 at 11:48
I agree with Zagros...Next option is to have someone helping you with it. A gf maybe Smile

My uncle however learned to speak proper french by his own initiative...It is a rare case though.

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2008 at 12:15
Here is my method:

Find a book that you feel comfortable with to work through.

Use flashcard for vocabulary. This is very useful, and the best way of learning it in my experience. I have thousands of Latin flashcard from when I was learning it. And vocabulary is probably the most challenging part of learning a foreign language.

You can also put in flashcards those grammar points that you can't remember well.

After that, practice. If you are learning a dead language, do a lot of translations.

If you are learning a modern language, find a forum where people speak in that language and practice.

Another think to consider is to get from the library a pimsleur audio method. Those are fun.

Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
AE Editor

Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2008 at 12:20
Originally posted by hugoestr

Here is my method:

Find a book that you feel comfortable with to work through.

Use flashcard for vocabulary. This is very useful, and the best way of learning it in my experience. I have thousands of Latin flashcard from when I was learning it. And vocabulary is probably the most challenging part of learning a foreign language.

You can also put in flashcards those grammar points that you can't remember well.

After that, practice. If you are learning a dead language, do a lot of translations.

If you are learning a modern language, find a forum where people speak in that language and practice.

Another think to consider is to get from the library a pimsleur audio method. Those are fun.

Thanks I especailly like the flashcard idea, Also I've been having a difficult time finding a history forum in another language besides English.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2008 at 13:31
I lived in a foriegn country for 6 years in a small village where no-one speaks English. Had to learn to speak to eat, had to learn to read to see where the buses go. Works really well.

When there, talk as much as possible. Learn a few words each day and keep using them. If one day you read up road directions, stop locals on the street 10 times and ask them. If the next day you learn food, go into a market and keep asking how much for a kilo of ......

Edited by Paul - 01-Feb-2008 at 13:32
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2008 at 06:10
What language were you forced to learn?  That's really interesting! 

I do like hugoestr's ideas.... similar to what I do.  Although I've never really 'taught' myself a language (so to say), I've studied a lot.  It's really good if you can find a translation of a book that you have already read, this way your knowledge of the book and passages will help you to figure out what you don't know yet.  For example I have a Dutch copy of the Lord of the Rings that I read now and then.  Between studying the basic grammar and reading a few passages at a time, I can pretty much open to any paragraph and know just what's going on.  It also helps having a broad knowledge of other related languages to help piece together the puzzle. 

As far as I'm concerned, you need to study the grammar first to get an idea of what the various lexical categories (nouns, verbs, etc) look like in that language, so that even if you don't know what the word means you could be like, well, looks like a verb, preterite (class VI strong Wink), etc.  I think it's really hard to study a dead language on your own if you haven't been taught one yet.  I'm taking Gothic, and am now finding it much easier to work my way through some of the Old Saxon Heliand because I'm more familiar with Germanic declension systems and verbs now.  But if those grammatical features pose no problems for you, then forward! 
jayeshks View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote jayeshks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2008 at 20:18
Originally posted by Paul

I lived in a foriegn country for 6 years in a small village where no-one speaks English. Had to learn to speak to eat, had to learn to read to see where the buses go. Works really well.

When there, talk as much as possible. Learn a few words each day and keep using them. If one day you read up road directions, stop locals on the street 10 times and ask them. If the next day you learn food, go into a market and keep asking how much for a kilo of ......

I totally agree.  If you are serious about learning a language, go move to a place where it is spoken so that you'll hear it all the time and be able to practice speaking it.  The idea of learning a language by using its written form as an access point is counter-intuitive.  This gets even more confusing if the language you're trying to learn uses the same script as your own so that you have to fight your own preconcieved notions of how the script ought to be used.     For eg. I learned more useful German in 3 days of having to communicate with a Swiss guy who only spoke German than I did French, in a year of conjugating verbs and memorizing vocabulary. 
Once you relinquish your freedom for the sake of "understood necessity,"...you cede your claim to the truth. - Heda Margolius Kovaly
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2008 at 23:55
My method would be the one which I use when assimilating any knowledge.

I seek to impregnate my subconstient, not the constient. For that I'm visualy surfing over a printed or screen document, more exactly I'm simply turning over the pages of a book or puting a pdf (actualy two concomitent, in two pdf reader programs, Acrobat and Foxit) on the authomatic scrolling at high speed, from beginning to end, than viceversa and so on.

In this way it takes much time to get to some operative capabilities but you get a feeling of the matter (so something which is not generated with intellectual effort) and a dexterity which is both useful and pleasant.

Edited by Menumorut - 23-Feb-2008 at 23:57

Post Reply Post Reply