Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why believe in God?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why believe in God?
    Posted: 15-Jun-2009 at 16:12
Originally posted by gcle

I'd suggest a religion is something that reassures people, and gives them a sense of community with other believers, defining it by its goal, but again of course science does that too.

Yes, I agree. And this would apply to many other belief systems also e.g. nationalism. This only goes to highlight how difficult it can be to define the unique nature of religious belief.
Carcharodon View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2009 at 16:22
gcle2003: With regard to the bit about people wanting to govern other people's lives, then if he attacks all people who want to govern other people's lives, then fine. But he doesn't. He singles out theists, and there's no objective reason to do so. Atheists and theists alike are guilty of that, and atheists and theists alike are also innocent of it. But that's not Dawkins' message.

If one thinks religious belives has no foundation in any tangible reality then one also tend to see religious peoples governing of others as rather preposterous. That is not to say that one can also find many other forms of interference in other peoples lives wrong.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2009 at 12:12
Originally posted by gcle

Originally posted by Constantine

To be honest, despite Omar's and my own efforts at looking through the dictionary, neither of us found a truly holistic dictionary definition which captures its key features and nature as people in our world understand religion. This is a significant impediment in exploring the topic.

'People in our world' understand 'religion' in different ways.

Both quotes are very true. (In fact I agree wholeheartedly with everything you two have post in the last day or so)

I've noticed this is very relevant within the Islamic community, to point out two groups for example, there is one that strictly follows rules, and sees religion just a set of rules to follow, and there is one group that follows religion as an ideal, with the rules being a path to the ideal but not the ideal itself.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2009 at 18:44
My answer; Why NOT? It is better than peanut butter!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910