Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Kazakh language

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
PakistaniShield View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote PakistaniShield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kazakh language
    Posted: 05-Jun-2011 at 16:10
Originally posted by shonkz

Thanks ETL.  My wife can understand Kazakh, but I also think her generation is much more comfortable with Russian.  We will be sure to mind the language difference when we decide to visit Turkey.

As Simba mentioned, if Mongols did not have a huge impact on the language (both written and spoken) on the region of Central Asia, I guess it sounds like they only left their 'genetic' traces. 

Here is my follow up question....again linked to my wife's family....my father-in-law has Kalmyk heritage ( I don't know how many %) as well as Kazakh heritage.  The rest of the family sometimes kid with him by calling him Mongolian.  Are Kalmyks generally considered to be Mongol or no?  As you can guess, when they are laughing at the dinner table about this, I sit there thinking - I don't get it.

Thanks again for any input.

The reason for kazakhs having common genetics with Mongolians is because they were the same people only a few thousand years ago. Even their languages were the same. It is due to geographic separation that they evolved into two distinct peoples. it is not because one was conquored by the other.

And Uighurs are actually not entirely of Turko-Mongol descent. They have a huge input of Indo-European genes in them. Look up the Tocharians and their history then you'll know what I mean
shonkz View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote shonkz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2011 at 02:56
Thanks for the information.  So what you are saying is that this was not one culture dominating one another but rather a natural split within the same genetic pool.  That's very interesting.

Please correct me if I am wrong.  Kublai Khan had his dominance in China and most of the East Asian territories.  His legacy ended when the Ming Dynasty took over China and his direct descendants went back to Mongolia as we know it today.  Other hordes of Genghis Khan ruled the rest of Central Asia as well as part of Russia.  Did the Kazakhs make the 'split' with Mongolians then or were they already split?  Or is it that they never really split if they were indeed the same people with different titles?

kutbolsun View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote kutbolsun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2011 at 06:28
kazakh people are the descendant of the kipchaks which is a turkic and mongolic tribal union. you can see it both from their appearence and language.
kutbolsun View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote kutbolsun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2011 at 06:33
that is true that some Indo-Europeans became part of Uighurs,but the main part of Uighur genes are still inherited from Turko-huns. and it's not proven that Tocharians are Indo-Europeans ,even though they used Indo-European writings.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12