Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Historical Baths

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Historical Baths
    Posted: 14-Dec-2010 at 14:49

There are a large number of historical baths in Iran, most of them have been changed to museums and restaurants.

Ali Qoli Aqa Bath, Isfahan:

Virtual Tour: http://www.360cities.net/virtual-tour/iran-isfahan-ali-qoli-aqa-bathhouse?view=simple

Chahar Fasl Bath, Arak:

Sultan Ahmad Bath, Kashan:

Ebrahim Khan Bath, Kerman:

Ganjali Khan Bath, Kerman:

Kardasht Bath, Jolfa:

Karim Khan Bath, Shiraz:

Khan Bath, Yazd:

Nobar Bath, Tabriz:

Qajar Bath, Qazvin:

Haj Aqa Torab Bath, Nahavand:

Vakil Bath, Kerman:

Vakil Bath, Shiraz: (Restaurant & Carpet Museum)

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2010 at 15:18
Incredible images Cyrus! I would love to see this place someday. Sadly, I never went to the Turkish baths while I was in Istanbul but I have been to the ancient Roman Baths in Bath, England. When I was there the baths were not open to the public due to some deadly Amoeba in the water. I hear they have cleaned it up since then and you can swim in these baths, for a fee no doubt. To bathe were the Romans had would be interesting.

Edited by eaglecap - 14-Dec-2010 at 15:19
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Kanas_Krumesis View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kanas_Krumesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2010 at 15:41
Incredibly beautiful mosaics, paintings and reliefs. The atmosphere in these baths is simply magical. I really would like to visit cool place like this after hot day. To drink a strong tea, lying in a soft sofa among fragrances.

Curys, is there any indications about baths from the Sassanid time. Could you post any pictures if exist archaeological finds?
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2010 at 17:03
Originally posted by eaglecap

Incredible images Cyrus! I would love to see this place someday. Sadly, I never went to the Turkish baths while I was in Istanbul but I have been to the ancient Roman Baths in Bath, England. When I was there the baths were not open to the public due to some deadly Amoeba in the water. I hear they have cleaned it up since then and you can swim in these baths, for a fee no doubt. To bathe were the Romans had would be interesting.

It sounds great to swim in an ancient bath, unfortuantely it doesn't seem to be possible to do the same in Iran because of the Islamic laws, most of those public baths were active in Iran before the Islamic revolution, this pic shows the Iranian actress Nuri Kasrai inside a public baths in Shiraz in a movie:

Nuri Kasrai:

Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2010 at 17:18
Originally posted by Kanas_Krumesis

Incredibly beautiful mosaics, paintings and reliefs. The atmosphere in these baths is simply magical. I really would like to visit cool place like this after hot day. To drink a strong tea, lying in a soft sofa among fragrances.

Curys, is there any indications about baths from the Sassanid time. Could you post any pictures if exist archaeological finds?

Of course there are ruins of some ancient Sassanid baths in Iran, such as Bokan Bath and Sibeh Bath, there is also a bath in the Sassanid city of Izadkhast: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=22090 but as you see these are just ruins now.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2010 at 17:35
Thanks Cyrus! I now can see just how the Romans lived!

And, I am serious!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2010 at 17:41
Yeah I know! Here's more:Wink

I guess some I did it twice.LOL
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2010 at 06:04

The most famous and mysterious bath in Iran was Sheikh Bahai Bath in Isfahan, the bath derives its principal fame from the story that its water was heated by a single candle which never needed renewing.

As you read here, it is believed that the reason for the constant warm water was due to the particular construction of connecting pipes from the sewage system which enabled the extraction of energy in the form of gasses such as Methane which in turn manifested themselves as heat.

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2010 at 10:50
When Iv been in Baths (England), the same as on the picture, about 15 years ago it also wasnt possible to take a bath there :)
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2010 at 14:18
Nontheless, the "splendor" of the famous "Roman baths" has been written about for centuries! Could they have been any more splendid than those shown above?

Maybe the Roman Baths were misplaced?
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2010 at 14:57
Originally posted by opuslola

Thanks Cyrus! I now can see just how the Romans lived!

And, I am serious!

You are welcome, of course I posted some Iranian baths, not Roman, maybe you think about a Roman origin of these baths?
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2010 at 15:58
Of course I did! But, just what place was the origin? And, just how did they become "religious" symbols? The Jews who were recognized by a certain King of Persia, were recognized as being of a related religion, and they had or have their pools and Mikvas, etc.! The later Romans, whomever they were, also it seems had special baths, etc.!

The Baptists, a religious group, also made a big deal out of washing sins away and consider immersion as the only real form of Baptism as used by the Biblical John the Baptist, etc.!

Of course real "romans" today only "sprinkle!", perhaps that is because the great water systems were either destroyed or left to decay?
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2011 at 18:35
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Originally posted by eaglecap

It sounds great to swim in an ancient bath, unfortuantely it doesn't seem to be possible to do the same in Iran because of the Islamic laws, most of those public baths were active in Iran before the Islamic revolution, this pic shows the Iranian actress Nuri Kasrai inside a public baths in Shiraz in a movie:

Nuri Kasrai:

Are you serious? You can't go to a public bath in Iran? That is strange because Islam definitely doesn't prohibit going to baths.
Timidi mater non flet
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2011 at 06:40
Originally posted by Baal Melqart

Are you serious? You can't go to a public bath in Iran? That is strange because Islam definitely doesn't prohibit going to baths.

I meant mixed public baths, Islam certainly prohibits it.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2011 at 08:52
Regarding cleanliness Islamic societies were centuries ahead of Europe. Europeans didn't bathe regularly until Beau Brummel popularised it in the early 19th century as they believed bathing removed the coating of dirt that protected them from disease.
sitalk View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote sitalk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2011 at 16:02
The settlement Aquae Kalide occurred near hot mineral springs. During the Middle Ages named Thermopolis. It was destroyed by the knights of the IV Crusade. Bathrooms are recovered by the Ottoman Sultan Suleiman II, who was cured. Reconstruction of the building depicted on Tabula Peutingeriana
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2011 at 18:38
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2011 at 21:47
An amazing place! The architecture looks so delicate and refined~
 Post Reply Post Reply