Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your suggestions for my map of the Mongol

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your suggestions for my map of the Mongol
    Posted: 05-Dec-2005 at 23:56
I made this map about 4 years ago for AE's article on the Mongol Empire. I think it should be updated soon.

http://www.allempires.com/empires/mongol/mongolempire_map. jpg

Any suggestions for the map, including any errors that you see?

You're also welcomed to critique the article for any errors etc.
http://www.allempires.com/article/index.php?q=The_Mongol_Emp ire
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2005 at 14:43
as you have included the white horde you should also add the Blue Horde. i would also distinguish between territories directly controled by Mongols and vassals (Novogorod area should be in tributary color like SE Asia). add the capital for the Chagatai Khanate and Bolgar for the Golden Horde (first capital). you could also include the Qaidu Khanate for the smaller Civil War map. other than that, I must say your map is very well made.
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2005 at 18:04
Actually, the gray areas show incursions rather than vassals.

Is it more appropriate to have the Golden Horde altogether as one or was it more like a collection of separate states?
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2005 at 19:29
You gave the Koreans way to much land.

Here's what Goryeo probably looked like during the Mongol Invasions

tadamson View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tadamson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2005 at 09:40
Some thoughts..

#1 the sub map on "division of Ulus"  North China, Manchuria, Tibet, Khurristan, Iran, Iraq and Afghanistan were not part of the split.  The Jin and Khwarizam empires were  under control of appointed generals and the princes were each granted several estates etc in each.  The Ulus were restricted to the steppes.

#2 A sub map on Quaidu's "empire" might be interesting, it was larger, longer lasting and far more significant than Ariq-Boke's.

That said, good effort.  most impressive.
rgds.

Tom..
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2005 at 13:46

Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

Actually, the gray areas show incursions rather than vassals.

Is it more appropriate to have the Golden Horde altogether as one or was it more like a collection of separate states?

i didn't meant vassals when i said tributary...well, the Golden Horde was restricted to the Steppe proper more or less (former Kypchak and Volga Bulgar territories), most Russian principalities survived as vassals ruled by princes appointed by the Khan. I think Novgorod was not directly ruled, just a tributary state.

Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2005 at 17:41
i didn't meant vassals when i said tributary...well, the Golden Horde was restricted to the Steppe proper more or less (former Kypchak and Volga Bulgar territories), most Russian principalities survived as vassals ruled by princes appointed by the Khan. I think Novgorod was not directly ruled, just a tributary state.

I thought you were implying that the Golden Horde is better represented in the individual states that made up the Horde (the White horde, blue horde, Nogai, etc).

Tom,

Actually, those mini-maps were done entirely by guesswork. Since I do not have any data on the specific boundaries, they will probably be removed.

Edited by Imperator Invictus
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2005 at 14:20

I thought you were implying that the Golden Horde is better represented in the individual states that made up the Horde (the White horde, blue horde, Nogai, etc).

well, it would be uber-perfect to have sucessor states for each individual khanate, but in case of the Golden Horde, the Blue/White Hordes and the Nogai, Crimean etc Hordes are not contemporary. to me it seems the real Golden Horde was only formed by Toktamishs takeover of the Blue Horde just before Timurs invasion, i have yet to see proove that a (unified) Golden Horde exised before that date. I'm just not sure if the Khanate was split in 2 (Blue/White) or if there was an additional 3rd subkhanate (Sibir?) because the Sibir Khanate predates the other sucessor khanates of the Golden Horde significantly.

BTW, wasn't Shangdu capital of the Yuan too for a while?

Edited by Temujin
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 12:12
I think its pretty clear that the Nogai shouldn't be a seaparate identity, as they were more of a vassal, and the Crimean is way off the timeline. But isn't the Sibir Khanate the same thing as the White Horde, or are those two just so often confused?

According to the Regnal Chornologies site, the Blue Horde and the White Horde Shared rulers. It looks like they alternated the throne:

The GOLDEN HORDE The Golden Horde was the Western division of the Mongol Empire, subject to the Great Khans at Karakorum, and ruling most of Russia.
  • (Temujin Genghis Khan.............................1206-1227)
  • Kok Urdu
  • Batu..............................................1227-1255
  • Sartaq the Christian..............................1255-1257
  • Ulagchi the Child......................................1257
  • Berke the Moslem..................................1257-1266
  • Mangu.............................................1266-1280
  • Tode Mangu........................................1280-1287
  • Tole Buqa.........................................1287-1290
  • Toqtagha..........................................1290-1312
  • Ozbeg.............................................1312-1340
  • Tini Beg...............................................1340 opposed by...
  • Jani Beg I........................................1340-1356
  • Berdi Beg.........................................1356-1359 opposed by...
  • Qulpa.............................................1359-1360 and...
  • Nauruz Beg.............................................1360
  • Ak Urdu
  • Hizr..............................................1360-1361
  • Temur Hoja........................................1361-1362
  • Kok Urdu
  • Abdullah...............................................1362 d. 1370
  • Ak Urdu
  • Amurat............................................1362-1367
  • Aziz Hoja.........................................1367-1369
  • Kok Urdu
  • Jani Beg II.......................................1369-1370
  • Mohammed Buluq-Khan....................................1370 d. 1379
  • Ak Urdu
  • Tulun Beg-Khanum (fem.)............................1370-1373
  • Ai Beg.................................................1373 d. 1376
  • Kok Urdu
  • Arab Shaykh............................................1373 d. 1379
  • Ai Beg (restored) (in Sarai)......................1373-1376 with...
  • Hajji Cherkes (in Sarai)..........................1375-1376
  • Kok Urdu
  • Ilbani (in Sarail Jedid)..........................1373-1376 with...
  • Ala-Khan (in the North)...........................1373-1376
  • Ak Urdu
  • Kagan Beg.........................................1375-1376
  • Urus-Khan.........................................1376-1378
  • Kok Urdu
  • Arab Shaykh (restored)(in Sarai)..................1378-1379
  • Mamai Urdu
  • Mamay.............................................1379-1380
  • Ak Urdu
http://www.hostkingdom.net/mongols.html

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 17:11

yes, i know the Regnal Chronolgies site, but it is wrong here, check this site instead:

http://www.friesian.com/mongol.htm

the White Horde and the Sibir/Shaibani Khanate were different khanates.

Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2005 at 00:09
Oh right. I remember that too. I guess its logical that Shiban did have his own Khanate since he was one of the leaders of the campaign. But I actually have never seen a map of Shiban's khanate anywhere other than that site (whose drawing is pretty rough)

I think the question is, "what exactly was the Golden Horde of the 13th century?"
  • Wikipedia's article claims that Berke consolidated the White and Blue Hordes. But I don't think this is correct.

• It and some other sources also claim that "Golden Horde" was never used as a term until the unified Golden Horde. However, in the accounts of John of Carpini, the latin words "Orda Aurea" do appear which mean Golden horde. However, that term only appears once.

• Still, I've also read that the Golden Horde was used as a collective term for all of the hordes.

• Then there's the "Kipchak Khanate." What exactly was the Kipchak Khante? was it the Golden Horde or the Blue horde?

tadamson View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tadamson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2005 at 07:38
A big problem with trying to map these states is that boundaries were fluid and the constant moving from pasture to pasture often meant that they overlapped ir intermingled.

Good luck though.........
rgds.

Tom..
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2005 at 14:14

• Then there's the "Kipchak Khanate." What exactly was the Kipchak Khante? was it the Golden Horde or the Blue horde?

I've heard Kypchak Khanate is equal to Ulus of Jochi, the Ulus of Jochi would be all three Khanates ruled by the sons of Jochi, so i assume Kypchak Khanate would refer to the whole area, not just the Blue horde. but maybe its just another name for the blue horde, kypchaks only ruled the area covered by the Blue Horde...

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2005 at 04:35

I think the question is, "what exactly was the Golden Horde of the 13th century?"
  • Wikipedia's article claims that Berke consolidated the White and Blue Hordes. But I don't think this is correct.

• It and some other sources also claim that "Golden Horde" was never used as a term until the unified Golden Horde. However, in the accounts of John of Carpini, the latin words "Orda Aurea" do appear which mean Golden horde. However, that term only appears once.

• Still, I've also read that the Golden Horde was used as a collective term for all of the hordes.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2005 at 01:23
Originally posted by Temujin

I've heard Kypchak Khanate is equal to Ulus of Jochi, the Ulus of Jochi would be all three Khanates ruled by the sons of Jochi, so i assume Kypchak Khanate would refer to the whole area, not just the Blue horde. but maybe its just another name for the blue horde, kypchaks only ruled the area covered by the Blue Horde...

Doesn't Kypchak mean "Golden"? The confusion as far as I know stems from the usage of Kypchak for the area around Kazakhstan which also is called the Kypchak steppe, which was under the Blue Horde. Also there are vassal connections between the different hordes, some take suzerainity to mean actual control and others independence.

Post Reply Post Reply