Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Favourite Period of Byzantine History

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Poll Question: Which do you like most?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [1.56%]
14 [21.88%]
30 [46.88%]
8 [12.50%]
2 [3.13%]
9 [14.06%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favourite Period of Byzantine History
    Posted: 26-Oct-2006 at 05:03
Originally posted by Knights

Me personally, I think that the 476AD-640AD period in Byzantine history is very fascinating, and possibly my favourite. The campaigns of Narses and Belisarius are very interesting, but not to be outdone later on in this period by the antics of Heraclius (namely his Sassanian Wars). Various legal, civil and economic achievements also take my interest, such as the rebuilding of the Hagia Sophia under Justinian I in the 530's and the revision of the ancient roman law code, the corpus juris civilis. Thumbs Up
The era of Basil II is probably equally favourable to me - because of the fact that the Byzantines were probably at their peak under his rule - however I can only vote for one period Disapprove

I completely agreeThumbs Up the reign of Justinian is probably (in my opinion) the most interesting in Byzantine History (and that's saying something) so many interesting events/personalities are crammed into his reign such as the Nika Riot, Empress Theodora, Belisarius and Smugling silk! Then there's the epic struggle between the Byzantine and Sassanid empires, culminating in the brilliant campaigns of Heraclius. my second choice would be the time of the Byzantine counter-offensive and apogee under such emperors as Nicephorus Phocas II ("pale death of the saracens"), John Tzimisces and Basil the II (Bulgar slayer) a great deal of military campaigns, political intrigues and Constantinople at its true peakCool. In other words I agree completely with Knights but just wanted to share my opinion and and the reasons why this is so.
Athanasios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2007 at 09:56
Although the peak of the byzantine empire was through the Macedonian dynasty's era, Justinian's era has some very interesting incidentes and is pleasant like Ancient Rome or Ancient Greek history.The truth is that after Sassanid empire lots of "evil" foes surrounded the empire and the fihgt of its existance started. So ,after Heraclius, Byzantine history becomes more specific you know, because of the territorial shrink (loss of Northern Africa and N.Italy and S.Spain) we now talk about Grecko_Roman Empire , not the continuation of the "Global"Roman Empire.I think that this is the reason that not many westerners are interested to learn about Byzantine Empire,nor Greeks but this is for other reasonsUnhappy.
I don't think that Bulgaro-Byzantine conflicts affected that much the western civilization nor the wars with turks, arabs and normans.There wasn't any speciefic battle (except the  2victories against Arabs in 8th century)that is noteable from westerners.
Eventhough Byzantium was the main frontier of christianity and Europe....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234