Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Women warriors.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Women warriors.
    Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 01:16

The role of women as warriors within ancient societies has generally been overlooked.  This is due to a number of reasons including the fact that men are normally the main authors of history.  Thus records are predominantly from that single perspective.

Historians of this era managed to overlook the role women played on the warships at the battle of Trafalgar, for example, even though many lost their lives or were seriously wounded.

There is firm archaeological evidence to support the fighting role of Scythian and Sarmatian women within their societies.

In the early part of the 20th century when many of the Scythian kurgans (grave mounds) were excavated, society believed that the role of ancient women was staying at home cooking and bringing up babies.  This mindset resulted in all the remains that were found with weapons being categorized as male.  Luckily, in the 21st century, archaeologists are re-evaluating these finds.  To their surprise many of the heavily weaponed bodies previously categorized as male have since turned out to be female, including the Golden warrior of Issyk.

Over the last few years, archaeologists working on over 44 Kurgans near the town of Pokrovka in Kazakhstan at the Russian border have uncovered the remains of Sarmatian women buried with swords and daggers, along with quivers containing arrows with bronze heads.  Boney changes on the womens skeletons show that they spent many years in the saddle and most had met violent death in battle.

Some classical female Greek warriors:

Amastris, wife of Dionysius of Heracluria who established her own city state by conquering and uniting 4 settlements.

Artemisia I, ruler of the Greek city-state of Halicarnassus and Cos and advisor to Xerxes the ruler of the Persian empire, who assisted him in his attacks on the Greeks by commanding a force of warships in the naval battle of Salamis around 480 BC.

Telessilla, a 5th century BC warrior poet who rallied the women of the besieged city of Argos with war hymns and chants and led them in defending the city against the invading forces.

Arachidamia, who was one of a number of Spartan princesses who led female troops.  She fought against Pyrrhus during the siege of Lacedemon in the 3rd century BC.

The Princess Chelidonis, who captained women warriors atop the city wall during a siege of Sparta in 280 BC.

Regards.

Sources:

Edited by Hellios - 24-Oct-2006 at 10:37
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 01:43
And the results of the battles were?
Melisende View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Melisende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 02:08
Originally posted by Hellios

Female warriors in the Classical Period.

Artemisia I, ruler of the Greek city-state of Halicarnassus and Cos and advisor to Xerxes the ruler of the Persian empire, who assisted him in his attacks on the Greeks by commanding a force of warships in the naval battle of Salamis around 480 BC.

Artemisia was actually aboard one of the five ships she provided Xerxes' navy and was in active command.  So successful was she that a reward of 10,000 drachma was offered for her capture.  Such was the esteem that Xerses held her in that he entrusted his sons into her care.

Edited by Melisende - 22-Oct-2006 at 02:09
"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 12:59
   Great post, Hellios! I am sure there are many other women warriors which were never written about (as you mentioned men were the primary authors of history). I'm sure the story would have been much different had it been HERSTORY! Thank you for all the info you've provided.
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 13:39
yes for one the battles would not have lasted long. " hey great uniform. where did you get it". "its on discount at Cout Vunus supply depot".
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 14:05
Originally posted by Sparten

yes for one the battles would not have lasted long. "hey great uniform. where did you get it".  "its on discount at Cout Vunus supply depot". 

Sparten, I bet a woman Scythio-Sarmatian warrior could own you.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 14:22

She could own me, but not my Colt .45.

morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 16:52
Originally posted by Sparten

She could own me, but not my Colt .45.

Uh Oh! Sparten is bragging about his "caliber" again!    
"Morty

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 01:15
LOLLOL
As for bragginga .45 is a fairly weak round reletivly speaking. Its no .303

Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 07:06
LOL

Sparten & his gun vs these ladies & their hellfire missles:

Jennifer 31, Rebecca 26, Captains:

Edited by Hellios - 24-Oct-2006 at 07:08
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 09:25
Ahh now thats more like it. But the Apache has shown itself pretty vulnerable to small arms fire.

Now this would have potential

Flying Officer Saira Amin PAF, Sword of Honor winner. F-16 and JF-17 pilot. A Paveway III PGM should just about turn Sparten the poster, into Spaten beer.

Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 10:35
Ok Sparten, I changed the topic from "women warriors of classical period" to "women warriors" so we can include modern examples also.

So, Saira Amin pilots F-16 and F-17?  Wow...  Do you have any pics of her in action?

Edited by Hellios - 24-Oct-2006 at 11:05
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 10:41
LOL What are you, fetishists or something?

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 11:01
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

LOL What are you, fetishists or something?

lol...

Shoshannah Jenni, army Captain, Fort Hood, TX:

Chinese air force women:

Female Palestinan warriors:

Christina Szasz, air force Captain, F-117 pilot:

Edited by Hellios - 24-Oct-2006 at 11:02
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 11:06
Lol, camouflage print burquas... how fashionable....

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 13:56

Lol, camouflage print burquas... how fashionable....
Clearly you have never seen snipers in action.

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 16:12
No Sparten, I have not, because, as I understand it, not being seen in action is a pretty important part of being a sniper... Wink Also I do not as a habit visit areas where snipers are likely to be in action.

Further I would be surprised if they wore garments like that, because it can do nothing but hinder movement, and moving fast and quietly can be a matter of life and death for snipers.

Edited by Aelfgifu - 24-Oct-2006 at 16:36

Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2006 at 16:08
According to recent discoveries in Ukraine protobulgarian women were part of bulgar's army.
It is only the dead who have seen the end of war.
Plato
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2006 at 16:09

Further I would be surprised if they wore garments like that, because it can do nothing but hinder movement, and moving fast and quietlycan be a matter of life and deathfor snipers.

Good point, Aelfgifu! Here's a more appropriate attire, allowing much more freedom.....and a stylish whip for respect!

Edited by morticia - 25-Oct-2006 at 16:10
"Morty

Chodas View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Chodas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2006 at 04:51

Further I would be surprised if they wore garments like that, because it can do nothing but hinder movement, and moving fast and quietly can be a matter of life and death for snipers.

Seems to be flexible enough
Thunder rolled. ... It rolled a six.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>