Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Top 9 most influential empires

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Online Status: Offline
  Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 9 most influential empires
    Posted: 02-May-2006 at 20:19
Off Topic:

1) The language of the literature of the Ottomans (especially 1500-1700) was  persian, not arabic.

2) There is a really huge difference between Saudis and Iranians. 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2006 at 01:02

1.Third reich ( Started the largest conflict in world history and helped to bring in the nuclear age).

2.Roman empire.( First western empire and real superpower)

3.Qin empire .(First united empire of the far east)

4.British empire.( largest sea empire pread the english language)

5. Caliphates (Arabic empire), ( Spread the word of Islam which brought into conflict with Christendom, which unfortunately still dominates the world today!)

6.Soviet empire. ( Rise of  communism which dominated the world for 50 years: almost brought about the worlds destruction).

7.Spain.( Started the colonisation of the new world)

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2006 at 08:20
The first Western Empire,if you want to call it Western, was the Athenian Hegemony.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Bashibozuk View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Bashibozuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2006 at 13:28

The kingdom of Israel (the root of ethics and faith of the world)

Root of ethics and faith may be found in much more complex civilisations than ancient Hebrews. Because most of the ancient Jewish teachings are either from Egyptian origins (for example Sirus and Osiris myth, the teachings of Akhenaten etc.) or Babylonian origins (the creation myths, Enuma Elish, etc.). Hebrews have learned and synthesized the information they gained from their exile in Babylonia, their exodus from Egypt and their interactions with other Middle Eastern societies such as Hittites (for example Uriah the Hittite) according to many historians.....

The language of the literature of the Ottomans (especially 1500-1700) was  persian, not arabic.

No, Beylerbeyi was right actually, altough Persian has always been a major language of influence for Ottoman "Divan" poetry, the language was Ottoman Turkish. But the folk poetry was always Turkish, in its purest Anatolian form.

Edited by Bashibozuk
Garibim, namima Kerem diyorlar,
Asli'mi el almis, harem diyorlar.
Hastayim, derdime verem diyorlar,
Marasli Seyhoglu Satilmis'im ben.
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Quote Digenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2006 at 14:08
-The Byzantine (Romaiki) Empire.

The spread of Byzantine culture and Orthodox faith had a great influence over the Balcans,Eastern Europe,Russia.
 (but also W.Europe and Asia in a way)
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2006 at 14:09
  1. Mesopotamian empires
  2. Achmenaied empire
  3. Roman empire
  4. Han empire
  5. Arabian empires(Umayyad & Abbasid)
  6. British empire overseas
  7. Spanish empire

"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2006 at 15:44
Bazibozuk, my list, of course, is all my personal opinion. And I respect your point of view.

I thought the Kingdom of Israel could symbolize ethics and faiths and their
complex historical backgrond. But I agree with you that Israel was, no doubt, a part of ancient knowledge of the middle east. However the question wants influential empire list and I have to pick empire names. In choosing Israel, I thought of the army of Solomon The Prophet (PBUH), which was believed to be the most powerful army in the world, Temple of Solomon and David The Prophet(PBUH). Maybe I am wrong, but I think If faiths could be represented by only one authority, the authority would be Israel.

For me, the meaning of "Influential empires" is to add something good to the civilization that is dominant the present. So I think all of my empires had a great effort than others.

However all of this things are subjective and I respect other opinions.

As for the Ottomans language, I agree with you again, I was wrong, It's a mix of Turkish, Persian and Arabic. But I believe that the term "Ottoman Turkish" is equal to "Ottoman Persian."  But this is another story.

Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2006 at 16:05

As for the Ottomans language, I agree with you again, I was wrong, It's a mix of Turkish, Persian and Arabic. But I believe that the term "Ottoman Turkish" is equal to "Ottoman Persian."  But this is another story.

Ottoman Turkish is Turkish, not Persian. Persian was considered a refined language, for gentlemen. But calling it the language of culture in the Ottoman Empire is going too far.

Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2006 at 17:14
Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

Ottoman Turkish is Turkish, not Persian. Persian was considered a refined language, for gentlemen. But calling it the language of culture in the Ottoman Empire is going too far.

it was the cultural language of the empire. the intellectuals, politicians, the wealthy, the janissaries, etc... all knew how to speak it.

turkish was spoken by everyone too, but especially by the general public that didnt know how to speak arabic nor persian.

arabic was the religious language (when praying, reading the koran, etc...)

also, some of the policies of the ottoman empire were based on persian ones.

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2006 at 17:46
Originally posted by Iranian41ife

it was the cultural language of the empire. the intellectuals, politicians, the wealthy, the janissaries, etc... all knew how to speak it.

turkish was spoken by everyone too, but especially by the general public that didnt know how to speak arabic nor persian.

only the ruling class and some schooled class spoke, wrote persian, arabic. Militars and all others spoke Turkish (anatolian form) everyday, everywhere.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2006 at 17:56
Hi,

As far as I'm concerned, I fully agree with Bey and DayI, in the sens that
most (if not all) of the diplomatic messages with the West (Venice and
France mainly but also Genoa, the HRE, England and the Dutch Republic)
was in Turkish. The translators were usually skilled in Arabic, Greek and
"lingua turchesca". The only European during most of the 16th century
who were having contacts with the Shah were the Portugese.

Bye.
I am a free donkey!
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2006 at 18:26
Originally posted by DayI

Originally posted by Iranian41ife

only the ruling class and some schooled class spoke, wrote persian, arabic. Militars and all others spoke Turkish (anatolian form) everyday, everywhere.

i just posted about 10 sources of how turks adopted the iranian language in some form and shape.

and if you refuse to believe what im telling you now, atleast believe this:

ottoman literature and poetry was from the persian model, and because they were of the persian model, the turkish language also had to incorporate many many persian words to make up for what the turkish language lacked when writing in the persian literary style.

it is said that there were so many arabic and persian words in the turkish language (the same turkish language that you guys are saying had nothing to do with persian, let alone the persian that was spoken on its own) that it took ataturks government months to find replacement words, and even after that they ended up keeping some.

also, so many turkish words were forgotten that the turkish government had to go back and look into old turkic works from central asia just to remember what they used before persian and arabic.

see, when i say that so many turks are forgetting their own history just because a nationalist like ataturk came with a vengeance and wiped it all out, its the truth.

its amazing how well ataturk reformed turkish education and society if you guys dont even remember how it was 90 years ago.

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2006 at 18:27

Originally posted by Maharbbal

Hi,

As far as I'm concerned, I fully agree with Bey and DayI, in the sens that
most (if not all) of the diplomatic messages with the West (Venice and
France mainly but also Genoa, the HRE, England and the Dutch Republic)
was in Turkish. The translators were usually skilled in Arabic, Greek and
"lingua turchesca". The only European during most of the 16th century
who were having contacts with the Shah were the Portugese.

Bye.

yea, the political language of the ottoman empire was turkish. no one is saying anything different.

we are talking about the cultural language of the ottoman empire.

Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2006 at 18:39
One of the most influential empires I would say is the Spanish Empire. I am saying this now because it is still affecting our current events today!! And the proof is that "spanish" speakers are trying to take over TWO CONTINENTS!!!!
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2006 at 23:16
Spanish is the most widely spoken language in the world (most countries to be their official language)
Be a servant to all, that is a quality of a King.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2006 at 20:31
hmmmm....!
BigL View Drop Down
General
General

Quote BigL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 03:32

Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

These are the 8 most influential empires, IMO, in chronological order:

Achaemenid Empire - (first true empire)
Roman Empire - (first western empire)
Han Empire - (first stable chinese empire)
Muslim Empire - (largest empire so far in history, rising culture in religion)
Tang Empire - (similar role as above, but in the east)
Mongol Empire - (largest land empire in history)
Spanish Empire - (first truly global empire, colonization)
British Empire - (largest sea empire in history, english language)

Other Notable Empires:
Egypt, Assyria, Hittites, Mauryan, Macedonian, Sassanids, Song, Holy Roman Empire, Timurid, Seljuk, Ottoman, Safavid, Mughal, Ming Empire, Russian Empire, Qing Empire.

The above can also make a claim as most influential, so that's plenty of empires to chose 9 from.

Great list ,pretty much sums up history but what about Gokturk empire,Arab empire, for notable empires.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 17:53

What is the importance of the Gokturk empire?

i have heard of them but i dont know anything about them.

would you explain, i dont even think they are well known outside of the turkic countries.

erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote erci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 18:12
Cultural language of Ottomans : greek, armenian, turkish, persian

it can be classify only as persian.Ottomans extended over 3 continents, I don't think North Africans or Balkans or even most of local Anatolians spoke or understood Persian.

And by the way, a nationalist like Ataturk is what Iran needs if you ask my opinion.
"When one hears such music, what can one say, but .... Salieri?"
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2006 at 19:36

Originally posted by erci

And by the way, a nationalist like Ataturk is what Iran needs if you ask my opinion.

i agree, but i dont want a person exactly like ataturk. i dont want iran to be purged of it its outside influences, i dont want us to change everything so we can "look" western, and i dont want pan iranism to happen.

i just want a leader who cares about iran more than anything else, not a leader that will destroy irans culture, and history, like ataturk did.

ataturk effectively cut of turkey its ottoman history, why? just because they lost one war? if you ask me, that did a lot of damage, and his nationalistic teachings is having effects that we can see today.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>