Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Conquerors of Iraq: World's most powerful nations!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Conquerors of Iraq: World's most powerful nations!
    Posted: 13-Jun-2006 at 04:09
[QUOTE=Constantine XI]Very true about the British also being on the list. In 1919 the British achieved their greatest territorial extent, Iraq being one of their post-WWI acquisitions. [/QUOTE

Tid Bit::: in 1919 the British Persian Rifles were humiliatingly defeated by tribal Bakhtiaris and Qashghais in Parsa.

Also at the gate of all nations the British desecrated the ancient monument by inscribing "Royal India Cavalry 1912".

Bit off topic but what you said brought them up in my mind.

Edited by Zagros - 13-Jun-2006 at 04:10
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2006 at 04:25

Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Assyrians, Persians, Greeks, Romans, Arabs,Turks, Mongols, ... were all the most powerful nations when they conquered Iraq, do you agree?

Yes, but many of them tend to go into decline shortly after arrival in Iraq. Graveyard of empires, if you ask me.
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2006 at 04:33
not really

the Persian Empire became more powerfull after conquering Iraq ( mesopotamia) and the same with the Islamic Arabs ( who still ruling it till this day).

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2006 at 04:42
Originally posted by azimuth

the time of Caliph Umar raa was stable and successfull enough to expand the Caliphate from Lybia to more than 3/4th of Iran, and again from that point after the end of the Sassanids and the huge losses of the Byzantinians the only super power that continued expanding is the Caliphate.

when the Umayyads took over the caliphate is already a super power with not much rivals and that gave the Umayyads the chance to expand even further and form the largest Empire in History till that point.

Again, its preferable if you specify the area instead of generalizing terms such as "the world" or "in history". Because in the entire geopolitical sense, the Byzantine and the Sassanid aren't the only great powers(and far from a superpower in the modern sense even with a stretch of the imagination), there are the two halfs of the Gok Turk empires, the Sui Empire of China, and the Indian empire of Harsha.  
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2006 at 04:53
i did not say the only super power,  the world can handle more than one super power if you know what i mean.

but at the time of the Umayyads golden age it was in the top 2 strenghwise if not the strongest .

below is a map of the Umayyads at their height

edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2006 at 05:12

not really

the Persian Empire became more powerfull after conquering Iraq ( mesopotamia) and the same with the Islamic Arabs ( who still ruling it till this day).

Many, I said .. not all. Particularly non-Middle Eastern empires seem to conquer Iraq shortly before the downward slide.

"Islamic Arabs" are not really an empire either. An empire should be a state of some sort.
gorgo View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote gorgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2006 at 05:25
The empire which controls mesopotamia is the most powerful on the earth!
this is a global truth
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2006 at 05:45

i did not say the only super power,  the world can handle more than one super power if you know what i mean.

but at the time of the Umayyads golden age it was in the top 2 strenghwise if not the strongest .

below is a map of the Umayyads at their height

Blindly speculating based sheerly on the extent of an empire can be misleading, because the most important determinant of power is an empire's resource as well as the military, in these areas, the Ummayad only rank second in resource, and not even the top 3 in standing army at its time.

There were 4 powerful empires in Eurasia, the Ummayad, the Tibetan, the Gokturk(later the Uighur) and the Tang. Of these the Tang rank first in economic strengh and standing military. The estimated population for the Ummayad during this time is between 20-35 million people. For Tang China, its between 53-75 million. The later is more than twice as populous. The Tibetan empire ranks third with a population of some 10 million.

Tang China has a standing professional border garrison army of 490,000 and around 150,000 capital force and semi professional militia.(Zi Zhi Tong Jian, Bing Zhi) The Tibetan are second in military, the Tubo research insitute in Llhasa has determined that during the reign of Songan Ganbu in the 7th century Tibet modeled its government on that of the three province and six department institute of Tang and has an standing army of 402,000. The Gokturks during the reign of Qapaghan was recorded in Tang shu to have "over 400,000 mounted archers".
For the Ummayad, it is speculated that it has no more than 5,000 Arab occupational forces in the foreign territory. Other than a small garrison in Syria and around, the Arab "army" is drawn from local conscripts of conquered people, while those in Arabia itself are all local tribal units without any standing army to speak of. They are in a sense similar to the Turks, but less nomadic.

Map of Eastern Gokturk Empire

Map of Tang Empire in 669

Map of Tibetan, Tang, and Gokturk empire in 740

唐朝地图图片

Edited by hydro - 13-Jun-2006 at 11:03
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2006 at 23:17
not sure what you are arguing about.

as i said the Caliphate became a super power since the time of Caliph Umar raa.

i did not undermine the central Asian or far Eastern empire and did not even make a comparison.

also i don't know how accurate  the  "resources" and "military" figures you mentioned,

still that does not always determine "strength", good example is Macedonians under Alexander the great and Persians  under Darius III, who had more resources and more military personnel???  Wink

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2006 at 23:44

I'm arguing that there were more than just two great powers in the world at the time. And that the Ummayyad isn't number one in rank, even its position in second place is questionable. Populations and resource are all estimations, but based on demographic science which utilizes erosional datas and field arcehology of agricultural fields and urban centers, so the relative position of these states couldn't be far off. The fact is the Ummayyad is less populous and resourceful than the Tang, and its military strength, taken from archeological study of its cities and historical records were much smaller than those established by the other 3 powers.

Of course resource doesn't always determine everything or else there is no need to study history. But it is one of the most important factor. Other factors include sophistication of the bureucracy, the degree of corruption, stability of the political and economic infrastructure. Unforunately, these only count against the Ummayyad, as they have no central bureucracy to speak of. But rather semi tribal and feudal structure of government based almost soley on the allegience to the Caliph. In addition, Arab control over Central Asia is extremely fragile, collecting no more than tax, these states had the ability and often did rebel when they had the slightest chance.
This is primitive compared to the 3 grand secretary and 6 ministry structure of China or the similar structure in Tibet. Where the three grand secretaries act like modern cabinets in discussion and check and balance. With the 6 ministries: the board of rites, personnel, military, public work, law, and registration. All of which directly control every part of the empire in a centralized fashion without much feudal elements. While the Kai Yuan era(712-756) might have been one of the wealthiest period in all of Chinese history. Similarly the Yarlung was the height of the Tibetan power with Tibet exanding into the Pamirs, and northern India.
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2006 at 06:40
i did not say that its the sole super power in the world, so i was not in a disagreement with you.

then again with the underestimation of the Umayyads, you making it sounds like the Caliph was sitting under the tent in the middle of the desert from which he is ruling an Empire stretch from India in the  East to Southern France in the West !

they might not had as advanced system as you described that the Chinese had, but they for sure got a system which was far more advanced than a "semi tribal" government as you called it.

they had the Empire divided into regions with different governors who reported back to the Capital in Damascus.

the Umayyads did not live long as an empire due to internal problems, but again the Abbasides who came after did inherit all the Umayyads Empire Except the Iberian peninsula.

also as far as i know there was a military conflict  between the Chinese and the Caliphate, ended with Caliphate's victory and the Chinese Emperor sending gifts to the Caliph as sign of good faith for peace treaty.

Red4tribe View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Red4tribe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2006 at 22:02
Persians were the most powerful when the conquerd Iraq.
Had this day been wanting, the world had never seen the last stage of perfection to which human nature is capable of attaining.

George Washington - March 15, 1783

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2006 at 05:57

then again with the underestimation of the Umayyads, you making it sounds like the Caliph was sitting under the tent in the middle of the desert from which he is ruling an Empire stretch from India in the  East to Southern France in the West !

they might not had as advanced system as you described that the Chinese had, but they for sure got a system which was far more advanced than a "semi tribal" government as you called it.

they had the Empire divided into regions with different governors who reported back to the Capital in Damascus.

the Umayyads did not live long as an empire due to internal problems, but again the Abbasides who came after did inherit all the Umayyads Empire Except the Iberian peninsula.

also as far as i know there was a military conflict  between the Chinese and the Caliphate, ended with Caliphate's victory and the Chinese Emperor sending gifts to the Caliph as sign of good faith for peace treaty.

I don't think I claimed anything like that. I merely stated that it was very uncentralized, with a heavy semi tribal feudal element in it. The Bedouins in Arabia were semi tribal, owing little more than an allegience to the Caliph.
As for the military conflict. There were actually a few. One of them involving Chinese vassal of TuQishi routing the entire Arab army out of Sogdiana with the exception of Samarkand. The small Arab victory at Talas in 751 had no political significance. As for Chinese emperor sending gifts, I believe you culled that passage from Al Tabari's account of Quitayba invading Kashgar arund 714 in which the "King of China" presented gifts. However, this so called king might have easily been a local governor, indeed if such a campaign even exist is questionable as no Chinese source confirms this. In any case, in the following year, the Tang sent 10,000 troops and ousted the Arab puppet in Ferghana. All these small conflicts are regional at best, and hardly a sign of their relative position, they belong to two different world order and are quite insignificant in each other's political perspective. For example the Arab envoy was given a seat below that of the Tibetans, and even the Koreans and Japanese at court.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12