Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lost black civilization in Caucasus?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lost black civilization in Caucasus?
    Posted: 24-Oct-2010 at 09:57

The photos are very interesting.  I can see the San features, especially on the on the women.  I wonder if the hair of the women is naturally straight, or has been brushed straight (San have curly hair). 

The two men seem to have Australoid features as well. Though that may just be the light, it might also reflect how complex ethnicity is in southeren India. 

Edited by Cryptic - 24-Oct-2010 at 10:12
ranjithvnambiar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ranjithvnambiar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2010 at 03:57
I have seen kurumbas.Their have both curly as well as straight hairs.Kurumba men generally have curly hairs.

Those two men are Chenchus
Kanas_Krumesis View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kanas_Krumesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2010 at 14:54
African heads in Panagyurishte treasure. This tresure was found 1949 in Central Bulgaria near city of Panagyurishte. It dates from 4th century BC and was owned by Thracian king.

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2010 at 15:37
Can we be sure it was a product of the Bulgars? Or was it merely an "import?"

There is no way to know for sure!

Art is art!

Someone obviously spent a lot of dinars for them, and then supposedly hid them!

Edited by opuslola - 30-Nov-2010 at 15:38
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Consul
Consul

Quote Kanas_Krumesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2010 at 16:26
Originally posted by opuslola

Can we be sure it was a product of the Bulgars? Or was it merely an "import?"

There is no way to know for sure!

Art is art!

Someone obviously spent a lot of dinars for them, and then supposedly hid them!

You never heard about the Thracians? Unbelievable!
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2010 at 17:28
K-K wrote;

"You never heard about the Thracians? Unbelievable!"

Of course you id--t, I have heard of them!

Do you know everything about them?

Are you someone that is quoted in papers concerning the times of the Thracians etc.?

Just whom do you think you are?

You are mostly a curly pigs tail!

No "oink" comes from your end only "gas!"

I only suggested that these golden things might well be "imported!", can you deny it?

If so, prove it!

And, yes! I have seen numerous examples of Thracian gold work in the past, but just how much of it depicted "Africans?"

Or should I call them "African-Thracians?"

You do know that this very area is or has been for a few centuries considered as the very home of the "Ayrans!"/ "Caucasians", don't you?

Were Aryans ever considered as "Africans?"

Except by you?

So why did you not post this?

http://bulgaria.domino.bg/panagyurishte/eng/12-04.htm

My humble regards,

Edited by opuslola - 30-Nov-2010 at 17:48
Consul
Consul

Quote Kanas_Krumesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2010 at 17:44
Mister Opuslola, your high scientific language is truly impresive to me. Your remarkable logic not once has made me feel stupid, but could you explain me the meaning of the term "imported" and connection between Bulgars, dinars and Thracians in your previous post.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2010 at 18:00
Dear K-K,

I guess I did not mention that reportedly Egypt sent troops to defend Troy! Are these your Thracians? Did they get left there? Or were they the "Originals?"

If so it kind of ruins the "Out of Africa" theory!

But, it is true that the Ottomans actually conquered and made their capitol in Thrace, before conquering the Byzantines!

So, in that case, moving things up the timeline a few centuries or more, then I could see whereby troops from Africa/Egypt, etc., which might well have accompained the army of Mehammed II, and his father, might well have occupied this area for centuries?

Does this idea help or detract from your opinion?

Regards,
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2010 at 10:08

Dear K-K,

I guess I did not mention that reportedly Egypt sent troops to defend Troy! Are these your Thracians? Did they get left there? Or were they the "Originals?"

If so it kind of ruins the "Out of Africa" theory!

But, it is true that the Ottomans actually conquered and made their capitol in Thrace, before conquering the Byzantines!

So, in that case, moving things up the timeline a few centuries or more, then I could see whereby troops from Africa/Egypt, etc., which might well have accompained the army of Mehammed II, and his father, might well have occupied this area for centuries?

Does this idea help or detract from your opinion?

Regards,

The Thracian gold artifacts that depict Africans have been identified as tribute items.  There are just a few items, out of hundreds of others that have been found.  The 1948 find was only the first.

Opuslola, what fairytales have you been reading?  Egyptian troops to protect Troy?  As they say on ESPN, C'mon Man!!

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2010 at 11:30
While I don't know how much faith you place in accounts of this war, the following backs me up!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memnon_(mythology)

"In Greek mythology, Memnon (Greek: Mέμνων) was an Ethiopian king and son of Tithonus and Eos. As a warrior he was considered to be almost Achilles' equal in skill. At the Trojan War, he brought an army to Troy's defense and was killed by Achilles in retribution for killing Antilochus. The death of Memnon echoes that of Hector, another defender of Troy whom Achilles also killed out of revenge for a fallen comrade, Patroclus. After Memnon's death, Zeus was moved by Eos' tears and granted her immortality. Memnon's death is related at length in the lost epic Aethiopis, composed after The Iliad circa the 7th century BC. Quintus of Smyrna records Memnon's death in Posthomerica. His death is also described in Philostratus' Imagines.

[edit] Memnon in Quintus of Smyrna's Posthomerica
Memnon arrives at Troy in the immediate aftermath of an argument between Polydamas, Helen, and Priam that centers on whether or not the Aethiopian King will show up at all. Memnon's army is described as being too big to be counted and his arrival starts a huge banquet in his honour. As per usual the two leaders (Memnon and, in this case, Priam) end the dinner by exchanging glorious war stories, and Memnon's tales lead Priam to declare that the Aethiopian King will be Troy's saviour. Despite this, Memnon is very humble and warns that his strength will hopefully be seen in battle, although he believes it is unwise to boast at dinner. Before the next day's war, so great was the divine love towards Memnon, Zeus makes all the other Olympians promise not to interfere with the fighting. In battle, Memnon kills Nestor's son,.."

So, c'mon man! Do you really not know the story?

You can find a lot more here!

http://www.ask.com/web?&o=101881&l=dis&q=memnon%20of%20etheopia

Edited by opuslola - 01-Dec-2010 at 11:50
Consul
Consul

Quote Kanas_Krumesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2010 at 13:20
I think that racial appearance of the Thracians is out of question. Greek poet Xenophanes of Colophon (c.570-c.475 BC) says:

"...humans suppose that gods have been born
and wear clothes like theirs and have voice and body...
...Ethiopians say that their gods are snub-nosed and black,
and Thracians that theirs have blue eyes and red hair..."

This does not exclude contact with people who are of Negroid racial type even in Antiquity. Opuslola already quoted Homer's "Iliad" and the story about Aethiopian king Memnon. The phial (with the African heads) is most different object from the Panagyurishte tresure. There is a label with the price on the neck: "200 staters 1/2 drachma and 1 obol on the Lampsacus system". Lampsacus was a rich Greek colony on the Asian coast of the Dardanelles, from the side of the Marmara Sea. This object was made on behalf of mighty Thracian ruler. Study on the composition of the gold account differences from the other objects in tresure, which were likely a local production. But there is also 2 african heads among relief on the bottom of one other amphora (my third photo)!
 I`m 100 % sure that this tresure is authentic. It was found in area with high concentrations of Thracian tombs and other remains. We know from ancient authors that Thracian kings had no permanent capital, but many residences they toured throughout the year. They preffered woodlands with meadows and plenty of water. Old oak forests and spas in Sredna gora low mountain range (where is located Panagyurishte) fully represent place like this. In Sredna gora is located one of the biggest gold deposit in Eastern Europe, known since ancient times. Roman emperor Trajan found there important colony "Ulpia Aurea", on the place of modern city of Zlatitsa. 

Thracian tomb in Starosel, just 30 kilometers from Panagyurishte

and objects found in that region in 2008

Edited by Kanas_Krumesis - 01-Dec-2010 at 13:22
ranjithvnambiar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ranjithvnambiar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2010 at 02:45
Can somebody post more data about Thracians..? Illyrians too..?

Were they Indo-Europeans or were they pre-indo europeans who resided in europe..?
Kindly throw some light on the topic..
Consul
Consul

Quote Kanas_Krumesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2010 at 09:23
http://indo-european.eu/wiki/index.php/Thracians

Thracians were Indo-European group of tribes. They have spoken IE language. For example:
bólinthos - wild bull
rezas - king (in Latin "rex")
rudas - red, reddish
suras - strong, brave (in modern Bulg. "surov")
berza - birch (in modern Bulg. "breza")
germas - hot (on Greek "thermos")
arzas - white (in Greek "argos")
kersas - black (in Old-Ind. "krsná")

According ancient authors from the Classic Antiquity Thracians were second numerous nation after Indians. They lived from Transylvania to the north to Aegean sea to the south. Including on the islands of Thassos, Samothraki and Imbros. Some Thracian tribes also settled in North-West part of Asia Minor and found kingdom of Bithynia.  

Unlike the Greeks, whose civilization was based around the cities (the Polis), Thracians were mostly associated with land. "Bria" were a castles, where people from several villages were able to hide in case of need. Thracian cities have arisen around kings residences. The whole land of the tribe was a property of the king, who combines public and priestly functions. The king had his regular guards, which formed the caste of aristocrats. The only worthy pursuit for the aristocracy was war. Thracians were the glory of fierce warriors in ancient times. One of the four Gladiator types in ancient Rome was called "Thraex". Spartacus was also an ethnic Thracian. As important part from the army of Alexander The Great, Thracian soldiers reached India. Despite of this Thracians were great producers of cereals, wine and leather. Talented craftsmans. In religion they had a big impact on the culture of ancient world through the doctrine of Orphism.

"Thracian Girl Carrying the Head of Orpheus on His Lyre" by Gustave Moreau (1865).

Edited by Kanas_Krumesis - 03-Dec-2010 at 09:25
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2010 at 10:43
Opuslola wrote-
So, c'mon man! Do you really not know the story?

Enough of the revisonist bs please.  I was one of a group of about 15 volunteers who worked on the display copies of what was thought[at the time] to be "Priams Gold" which was purchased in 1967 by the U of P museum.  For a year and a half I was exposed to every possibility you could think of, and a few you couldn't.  Odd, during that time I never once read or heard mention of this.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2010 at 18:08
Dear red clay!

Just why do you label this source; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memnon_(mythology) as having any "bs" within it? You, it appears are one of the few people who have not heard of Memnnons Army in the defense of Troy!

I cannot help it if that great purveyor of fakes (Heinrich Schliemann) put one over on the museum! And you also it seems! (OK, I know that it was the so called time period of the pieces that trashed the deal, but that means nothing since Heidrich did not expose the pieces in situ, nor lead anyone else to the place! It was all held in secrecy!

I would even suggest that he actually had Pirams treasure manufactured! As well as the "mask!" of old Agemennon, etc.!

By the way are the Russkies showing it yet?

My (bs) regards, as always!
Consul
Consul

Quote Kanas_Krumesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2010 at 04:15

- - -
I cannot help it if that great purveyor of fakes (Heinrich Schliemann) put one over on the museum!
- - -
I would even suggest that he actually had Pirams treasure manufactured! As well as the "mask!" of old Agemennon, etc.!
- - -

Opuslola, I don`t think that so called Agamemnon`s mask or any other artifacts discovered by Schliemann are fake. Making of burial masks was something usual for the Indo-Europeans and many other culture.

Viking burial mask from Sutton Hoo, England

Golden death mask of Scythian

I suggest that person who was born and living around swamps, cotton fields and mosquitoes is more inclined to believe in conspiracy theories about archaeological counterfeits. If you were born in place like Greece or Italy, where remains of the past are around you or one step away from the door of your house, your thoughts would otherwise. I have several bronze coins of Roman emperors, which have passed in our family since time immemorial. I personally find small artifacts in different location in Bulgaria during outings. Big problem in my country is inability of archaeologists to cover multiple sites for research before looters (many of them extremely rich). If you drive on the highway from Kazanluk to Karlovo in Bulgaria, you can see many mound and small hill, which are potential Thracian tombs.

To compare Thracian and Ancient Greek art works with Ottoman art (if such exists at all) or any other Muslim art works is also absurd.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2010 at 06:44
Dear K-K, I don't remember mentioning anything about "Ottoman" or "Muslim" art works, etc.!

Perhaps you are quoting from someone else?

But, the golden treasures reportedly found by Schliemann were surrounded by allegations of fraud! It seems that he was want to excavate his gold, with out any witnesses, other than his wife, etc.! There was no strata presented to check it, etc.! Most everything that has been used to identify his "Troy" with any history is merely speculation and mass public acceptance!

At least that is the speculation of some!
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2010 at 09:21
Kanas_Krumesis wrote-

I suggest that person who was born and living around swamps, cotton fields and mosquitoes is more inclined to believe in conspiracy theories about archaeological counterfeits.

Don't forget the Bayous.           ClapBig smile
Unknown.
Consul
Consul

Quote Kanas_Krumesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2010 at 10:52

Regards,

Hm. Obviously you try to connect too many developments. There were many Sub-Saharan Africans in Ottoman army and even in the government of empire, but this happened 1000 years after Thracians. What is connetion between that Thracian art works with African heads and Ottomans? More explanation please!
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2010 at 16:00
Dear K-K!

Again I do not identify the finds in the mounds of Thrace as having anything to do with the Ottoman Empire, or Muslims in general! Actually it is strange how the current of discussion has led this entire thread away from its own title!

Should we not be discussing the Caucasus, and the chances of an African group actually becoming a fixture there some years ago?

If so, then perhaps we should steer our way back to it?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>