Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Dinosaur vs. Thread!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Dinosaur vs. Thread!!!!!
    Posted: 06-Aug-2008 at 17:54

The problem is that both of these creatures are opportunistic scavengers and don't want to fight for anything.  I think the Tyrannosaurus is more vicious of an animal, but if the Spinosaur beats it in size, and in the predator vs prey category, size matters.

If either of them were protecting their eggs or young (If they ever did to begin with), they would become even more vicious and I could see the Spinosaur driving away the T-Rex easily, and vice versa.

The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2008 at 18:02
Originally posted by Afghanan

The problem is that both of these creatures are opportunistic scavengers

Ehh...most paleontologists agree nowadays that T-rex, at least, was both scavenger and active predator. Spinosaurus probably hunted plenty; just mostly fish and small-to-medium land creatures rather than the big stuff.

I don't think either would pass up a good bit of carrion, but I would have to dispute the image of them as JUST "opportunistic scavengers."
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2008 at 18:21
Good point.

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2008 at 21:24
Thanks, Count.

I still need to know what the "says who" earlier was about. There was a lot of stuff in my post, I wasn't sure what you wanted further information on/evidence of.

Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2008 at 20:03
I wanted to know the source of your claims on the spinosaur. And it's time for a new winner takes all, last one standing wins, anything goes, fight to the death!, Triceratops vs. ...........DRUMROLL!!!!!........... The Amazing GIGANOTOSAUR!!!!!!!!!, let the fight begin!. May God defend the right!.    

Edited by Count Belisarius - 07-Aug-2008 at 21:31

Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2008 at 20:15
Originally posted by TheARRGH

The problem is that both of these creatures are opportunistic scavengers

but I would have to dispute the image of them as JUST "opportunistic scavengers."

I didnt say they were JUST opportunistic scavengers, but they would rather not fight for their meal if there was a chance to take a free meal by scaring off its other competitors.
The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2008 at 20:24
Originally posted by Count Belisarius

I wanted to know the source of your claims on the spinosaur. And it's time for a new winner takes all, last one standing wins, anything goes, fight to the death!, Triceratops vs. ...........DRUMROLL!!!!!........... The Amazing GIGANTOSAUR!!!!!!!!!, let the fight begin!. May God defend the right!.    

Are you talking about the Gigantosaurus the sauropod (giant herbivore) or the Giganotosaurus the therapod (T-rex cousin)?

If you are comparing the lumbering gigantosaurus herbivore to the ceratopsid Triceratops...the only thing those two could compete on is who would take the biggest prehistoric poo, and in that case, the Gigantosaurus wins hands down.

If we you are talking about the Giganotosaur vs Triceratops, then the Triceratops would lose b/c they found Triceratops with scratches on their bones from T-rex, so the Giganotosaurus, which is larger than  a T-rex could defeat a Triceratops easily as Tiger would take down a Deer.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Władysław Warnencz View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Suspended

Quote Władysław Warnencz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2008 at 20:32
Originally posted by red clay

Well, if your a strict creationist, this whole thing is fantasy as Dinos didn't exist right.

Creationists don't think the dinosaurs didn't exists.They simply join dinosaurs with animals,who were created by God before the man.
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2008 at 20:47

I wanted to know the source of your claims on the spinosaur.    

Sources include:

^ Paul, Gregory S. (1988). "Family Spinosauridae", Predatory Dinosaurs of the World. New York: Simon & Schuster, 271–274. ISBN 0-671-61946-2.

(in relation to it's probable diet)
http://www.dinodata.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7422&Itemid=67
(in relation to it's build compared with T-Rex)

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/7500/title/Sight_for_Saur_Eyes_%3Ci%3ET._rex%3Ci%3E_vision_was_among_natures_best

T-Rex vision
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v382/n6593/abs/382706a0.html

T-rex bite force

http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~db=all?content=10.1080/0891296021000050755

The fact that T-rex could have commonly took down adult Triceratops

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/life/dinosaurs/mg15821305.300

T-Rex teeth stuff

Carpenter, K. & Smith, M.B. 2001. Forelimb osteology and biomechanics of Tyrannosaurus. In: Tanke, D.H. & Carpenter, K. (Eds.). Mesozoic Vertebrate Life. Bloomington: Indiana University Press. Pp.

Stuff about arms.

Yeah, that's most of the sources.

Giganotosaur wins. T-Rex killed triceratops (probably); Giganotosaurus, while apparently possessing a somewhat weaker bite, probably could have too.

Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2008 at 21:28
Thanks for the sources. I think the Giganotosaurus would win unless the Triceratops gutted him with it's horns, and didn't the Triceratops herd, form a sort of sheild wall?, but there are new finds which show several theropod skeletons together, which suggests some sort of pack behavior and the behavior may have extended to include the Giganotosaurus  

TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2008 at 21:59

T and didn't the Triceratops herd, form a sort of sheild wall?

They seem to have--they'd circle around the vulnerable members of the group, and create a sort of circular wall of horns. But no defense works all the time...

which suggests some sort of pack behavior and the behavior may have extended to include the Giganotosaurus  

Possibly. There are hypotheses that Tyrannosaurs hunted in packs based on age--the young adults were faster, and could drive the prey, while the larger and slower adults could jump out and take it down. Other theropods might easily have done the same.

No one can know for sure, though.

xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2008 at 22:20

OK guys next fight:

I know both of these are not classified as 'Dinosaurs" but they are ancient and scary predators:  Megaladon vs Tylosoaurus.  For those who dont know what either look like:

Megalodon:

vs

Tylosaurus

Shark vs crocodile?
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2008 at 22:23
Originally posted by xi_tujue

Shark vs crocodile?

More like "Shark vs. Gigantic Ancestor of Monitor Lizards and Snakes"

Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2008 at 22:49
I thought we just did that fight? 

Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2008 at 06:39
OK next fight:

Deinonychus vs Titanis

Titanus

According to wiki

It was 2.5 metres (8 ft 2 in) tall and weighed approximately 150 kilograms (330 lb)[citation needed], but with large variance (perhaps indicating strong sexual dimorphism).[4] Though its head has not been found, it certainly would have been large, with a huge, axe-like beak, as in its relatives. The wings were small and could not have been used for flight. The wing bones articulated in a unique joint-like structure, suggesting the digits could flex to some degree, and it has been suggested that they could have supported some type of clawed "finger", though there is no direct evidence of this.[1] Overall, it was very similar to the South American Phorusrhacos and Devincenzia, its closest relatives. Little is known of its body structure, but it seems to have been less wide-footed than Devincenzia, with a proportionally much stronger middle toe.[5] (Onactornis is now considered a junior synonym of Devincenzia).

Deinonychus:

Wiki description:

"

Based on the largest known specimens, Deinonychus could reach 3.4 meters (11.1 ft), with a maximum skull length of 410 mm (16.4 in), a hip height of 0.87 meters (2.85 ft), a maximum weight of 73 kilograms (161 lb).[2] Its skull was equipped with powerful jaws lined with around sixty curved, blade-like teeth. Studies of the skull have progressed a great deal over the decades. Ostrom reconstructed the partial, imperfectly preserved, skulls that he had as triangular, broad, and fairly similar to Allosaurus. Additional Deinonychus skull material and closely related species found with good 3D preservation[3] show that the palate was more vaulted than Ostrom thought, making the snout far narrower, while the jugals flared broadly, giving greater stereoscopic vision. The skull of Deinonychus was different from that of Velociraptor, however, in that it had a more robust skull roof like that of Dromaeosaurus, and did not have the depressed nasals of Velociraptor.[4] Both the skull and the lower jaw had fenestrae (skull openings) which reduced the weight of the skull. In Deinonychus, the antorbital fenestra, a skull opening between the eye and nostril, was particularly large.[3]

Like all dromaeosaurs, Deinonychus possessed large hands (manus) with three claws on each forelimb. The first digit was shortest and the second was longest. Each hind foot bore a sickle-shaped claw on the second digit, which was probably used during predation.

Edited by Afghanan - 08-Aug-2008 at 06:44
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2008 at 06:54
I'd vote Titanis (Titanus?). It's significantly heavier, and it's main weapon (beak) was (I would imagine) rather more forceful than Deinonychus'.

Plus, thick feathers are pretty good for foiling slashing claws.

Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2008 at 19:30
I'd vote deinoychus since they hunted in packs.

TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2008 at 03:57

I'd vote deinoychus since they hunted in packs.

But this thread is, unless explicitly stated, assuming a one on one contest.

Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2008 at 02:03
Carcharodontosaurus
Carcharodontosaurus

According to wiki:

Carcharodontosaurus (pronounced /ˌkɑrkərəˌdɒntəˈsɔːrəs/) was a gigantic carnivorous carcharodontosaurid dinosaur that lived around 98 to 93 million years ago, during the Cretaceous Period. It was nearly as long as or even longer than Tyrannosaurus, growing to an estimated 11.1-13.5 meters (36-44 feet) and weighing up to 2.9 metric tons.[1][2] The name Carcharodontosaurus means 'shark tooth lizard', after the shark genus Carcharodon (from the Greek καρχαρο karcharo meaning 'jagged' and οδοντο odonto meaning 'teeth') and σαυρος sauros, meaning 'lizard'.[3] 

VS

Mapusaurus

Mapusaurus ('earth lizard') was a giant carnosaurian dinosaur from the Late Cretaceous of what is now Argentina. It was similar in size to its close relative Giganotosaurus, with the largest known specimens measuring over 12.2 meters (40 ft) in length and weighing over 3 tons.[1] Mapusaurus was excavated between 1997 and 2001, by the Argentinian-Canadian Dinosaur Project, from an exposure of the Huincul Formation (Rio Limay Group, Cenomanian) at Canadon de Gato. It was described and named by paleontologists Rodolfo Coria and Phil Currie in 2006.[1]

The name Mapusaurus is derived from the Mapuche word Mapu, meaning 'of the Land' or 'of the Earth' and the Greek sauros, meaning 'lizard'. The type species, Mapusaurus roseae, is named for both the rose-colored rocks, in which the fossils were found and for Rose Letwin, who sponsored the expeditions which recovered these fossils.

~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2008 at 17:45
Carcharodontasaurus winsCheersSmileBig%20smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>