Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why do Arab countries lose wars?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why do Arab countries lose wars?
    Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 11:29
Originally posted by Mira

The US government was not the "enemy," despite its pro-Israel policies, until Bush Jr. won the elections. Evidently, 9/11 only happened when Bush became president.

You may think it is a trivial matter, but OBL's fatwa came out in '96 on Al Quds Al Arabi. What about WTC in 93? What about the U.S. embassies, Khobar, the Cole, ect.. ?
Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 13:56
Cattus,

I don't care about Saddam.  It doesn't matter how evil he was - that still doesn't give you an excuse to be as evil.  "Saddam would have been worse."  Sure!  So now people should accept "bad" because there could have been worse?  What nonsense.

America became OBL's enemy after the fall of the USSR, and those inspired by him started attacking American targets, but that wasn't a global phenomenon until recently, no?  Everybody became hostile to America after Bush.

The Iraqis didn't go attack America.  You went to their country and attacked them.
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 14:50

Osama targetted the US after the gulf war because he felt insulted by the Royalty of Saudi Arabia for choosing the USA to fight Saddam after Osama helped fight off the USSR. It was like a smack in the face to have what he thought were all Christian soldiers and a Christian nation to come into the Saudi Arabian peninsula and setup a base on the "holy Lands", and I quote that because that was the exact words I heard it called. I don't know if Muslims in general, or the extremist even consider the Peninsula a holy land or not. After that, you get a timeline of a attacks done on US targets after the first Gulf War.

On Abu Gharib(is that spelled right?) anyways, it wasn't even all the prison guards that did it, it was one shift. The other shift that worked that floor didn't even know about the abuses, how would they? They weren't supposed to interract with the prisoners, nevermind listen to them unless they were actually ill in which case they'd follow training and not have a conversation. The other shift would guard, serve them food and wait til they were done. When the shift that performed these hidious acts came in they were basicly partying, even having sex. Now usually if a government was going to do something like this, don't you think they'd get professionals? These people were far from professional, one got pregnant! I mean honestly, think it through! Besides that look at the pictures! They were having fun at the expense of poor victims.

If it was torture or abuse condoned by the Military or Government officials,  1. a women wouldn't get pregnant by her commander while on duty under circumstances where the government itself is paying close attention to a sensitive operation like you claim this to be, 2. You wouldn't be taking photo's of yourself if you were a proffesional in abuse and torture, which the government would definitly send since the idea is not to let the public know, 3. You don't pick a building thats well known and notorius for these kinds of actions in the past. I mean, I know our adminstration is dumb, but they are the most secretive adminstration we had since Nixon. It's alittle to obvious that if they were to actually have such orders carried out, it's be far from the action and away from any known land marks or areas known for such abuses.

Why we went to Iraq, I don't know, it's all bull as far as I'm concerned. The reason Osama hates us is because we went after the man that appearantly Bush also hates. Unfortunatly, Bush didn't get his priorities strait and decided to abandon the idea of capturing the man who actually harmed American Civilians.

Now we got alot of blood on our hands, I can only hope we can bring them some kind of future...

"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 15:23
Alright S&A, accepted. 

Now before we spin off totally, let's just put this simple fact across:

Anti-American sentiments did not rise until Bush Jr. won the elections - at least it wasn't as bad and widespread as it is now.

Again:  the Iraqis didn't attack the US.  The US crossed oceans to attack Iraq.
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 16:40

I don't care about Saddam. It doesn't matter how evil he was - that still doesn't give you an excuse to be as evil.

If you cared as much about Arab lives as you say you do, you should. Did you even look at the numbers I posted, he cant kill like that anymore? As evil? That speaks volumes about your position and may even be some insight into the title of this thread.

Who said anything about "accepting", is the U.S. Army still abusing prisoners at Abu Ghraib as it did in 2003?

This "global phenomenon", I dont know what you are talking about. U.S. interest were attacked more under Clinton than Bush. As far as anti-american sentiments, who cares in the long run if the right thing was done.

The Iraqis didn't go attack America. You went to their country and attacked them.

That is completely true if you believe that Saddam Hussein should have been allowed to keep Kuwait. The U.S. went to the region with a coalition that included Arab countries to remove him from that Kuwait. Throughout the 90's, Saddam shot at U.S. planes enforcing the no-fly zones(to protect Iraqis) for the UN Security Council what seemed every day. This and a series of Saddam truce violations led to resolution 1441.
George Bush is not Bill Clinton.

Whats the difference here, Mira? You said we are all glad that Saddam is gone.
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 22:02

Anti-American sentiments did not rise until Bush Jr. won the elections - at least it wasn't as bad and widespread as it is now.
Well I wouldn't say it was right at elections, but it was when he decided to goto Iraq and insulted our friends and allies by saying your either with us or against us. He didn't listen to anyone else, and that includes our own intelligence angencies. The guy is a prick and I can't wait til 2008 where their is a glimer of hope...

As far as anti-american sentiments, who cares in the long run if the right thing was done.
The Iraq war wasn't the right thing. As cruel as he was, we had a mission to protect our people first and the masterminds who were responcible for planning the attacks, recruiting people to their idealogies, and training them to perform what they say are still out there. Right now they are only hindered, we need to completely stop them.

As cruel as it sounds, we could have used him as a tool. Atleast we would know that the terrorist couldn't use Iraq as a haven while he was in charge. Bush wanted to go there even before 9/11, he got his chance and jump in immediatly without any real plan. Things may have calmed more now then it used to be, but at times it still get really bad in Iraq. Just means it's going to be a new outpost for the US for years to come like in other countries.

I'm proud of my country, and I proud of the soldiers, but I can't stand the Polticians who agree with this war. I can't to see the future elections...

"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 03:24
Originally posted by cattus

If you cared as much about Arab lives as you say you do, you should. Did you even look at the numbers I posted, he cant kill like that anymore?

He was your ally for so long, and he did all the killings while he still was.  When did you start caring?

As evil? That speaks volumes about your position and may even be some insight into the title of this thread.

Elaborate, please.

Who said anything about "accepting", is the U.S. Army still abusing prisoners at Abu Ghraib as it did in 2003?

We'll only know if and when more pictures are leaked.  Rumsfeld was accused of approving these tactics.  I don't think it'll stop at that.  Let's wait to hear what those who leave Abu Ghraib alive - if they do - have to say about the torture there.

People are still dying in Iraq.  Your government is still distributing "reconstruction contracts" right and left, as if it was your terrirtory.

This "global phenomenon", I dont know what you are talking about. U.S. interest were attacked more under Clinton than Bush. As far as anti-american sentiments, who cares in the long run if the right thing was done.

US interests were attacked abroad by a group of people. 

Under Bush, America, its interests and its allies were attacked "at home."

The Iraqis didn't go attack America. You went to their country and attacked them.

That is completely true if you believe that Saddam Hussein should have been allowed to keep Kuwait. The U.S. went to the region with a coalition that included Arab countries to remove him from that Kuwait. Throughout the 90's, Saddam shot at U.S. planes enforcing the no-fly zones(to protect Iraqis) for the UN Security Council what seemed every day. This and a series of Saddam truce violations led to resolution 1441.
George Bush is not Bill Clinton.

Whats the difference here, Mira? You said we are all glad that Saddam is gone.

There's a big difference, cattus.  The US was involved in the previous Gulf War with the support and approval of the international community + the UN. 

This time, the US went to war ignoring the UN and the international community.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 17:45
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

Originally posted by xristar

Do Arabs really lose their wars?

1980-88.

I guess the war from 2003 hasn't been lost yet...
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 20:15
Originally posted by el bahattee

1980-88.

Ask the Iraqi army if it was lost.

cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2006 at 02:08
Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

The Iraq war wasn't the right thing. As cruel as he was, we had a mission to protect our people first and the masterminds who were responcible for planning the attacks, recruiting people to their idealogies, and training them to perform what they say are still out there. Right now they are only hindered, we need to completely stop them.

What do you mean we "had" a mission to protect our people first? We havent been attacked since 9/11. We dont know, it could be that Iraq helped drain THEM and the future Iraq could be significant in the fight against these types.

As cruel as it sounds, we could have used him as a tool. Atleast we would know that the terrorist couldn't use Iraq as a haven while he was in charge.

On the contrary. Infact, he was using terrorist as tools and vise-versa. Saddam's government was secular but he certainly differentiated between his religious sect and others. He was not a good follower of his religion and his moves were personal, not to advance Islam it seemed but I would not put anything passed that cornered rat if it helped him achieve his aims. What is the difference if he supported terrorist anyway? We know he hosted, used or gave shelter to various transnational jihadist or whatever such as Abu Musab al Zarqawi. Ansar al Islam was based out of Iraq! What about his continual support for suicide bombers and the terrorist group Abu Sayyaf?

SADDAM HUSSEIN'S REGIME PROVIDED FINANCIAL support to Abu Sayyaf, the al Qaeda-linked jihadist group founded by Osama bin Laden's brother-in-law in the Philippines in the late 1990s, according to documents captured in postwar Iraq. An eight-page fax dated June 6, 2001, and sent from the Iraqi ambassador in Manila to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Baghdad, provides an update on Abu Sayyaf kidnappings and indicates that the Iraqi regime was providing the group with money to purchase weapons.Link
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2006 at 02:16

He was your ally for so long, and he did all the killings while he still was.

And now we are making up for it. Objectives change,ofcourse the U.S. did not support any murder that Hussein did. Should we have not been allied with the murderous Stalin in the '40s?

cattus wrote:
As evil? That speaks volumes about your position and may even be some insight into the title of this thread.

Mira wrote:
Elaborate, please.

You think the U.S. in Iraq is as evil as Saddam was. Thats bad judgement.

Spends a minute here.

We didnt ignore the UN, support from the international community would have been nice but it was not needed.

We'll only know if and when more pictures are leaked. Rumsfeld was accused of approving these tactics. I don't think it'll stop at that. Let's wait to hear what those who leave Abu Ghraib alive - if they do - have to say about the torture there.

Do you actually believe that Rumsfeld approved of what happened at Abu Ghraib? The fact that pictures of prisoner abuse are not streaming out of Iraq is proof enough that abuse like that continues. Thats wonderful logic.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2006 at 02:43

Originally posted by el bahattee

1980-88.

Ask the Iraqi army if it was lost.

That's silly: no small country can fight against the USA today. It doesn't matter if it's Iraq or New Zealand. It's not a matter of ethinicity.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2006 at 03:49

He was your ally for so long, and he did all the killings while he still was.

And now we are making up for it. Objectives change,ofcourse the U.S. did not support any murder that Hussein did. Should we have not been allied with the murderous Stalin in the '40s?

Making up for it, how?  People are being killed every day.  At least Saddam didn't massacre people every single day.

[
cattus wrote:

Mira wrote:
Elaborate, please.

You think the U.S. in Iraq is as evil as Saddam was. Thats bad judgement.

Spends a minute here.

Don't you have an objective source to share?  How about you look at the situation from an Iraqi perspective, here.

We didnt ignore the UN, support from the international community would have been nice but it was not needed.

That's a very arrogant thing to say.  And of course the US went to war ignoring the UN's opposition to a military resolution.  The whole world was not as dumb to buy the WMDs lie.  It may have deceived your citizens, but not the whole world.

We'll only know if and when more pictures are leaked. Rumsfeld was accused of approving these tactics. I don't think it'll stop at that. Let's wait to hear what those who leave Abu Ghraib alive - if they do - have to say about the torture there.

Do you actually believe that Rumsfeld approved of what happened at Abu Ghraib? The fact that pictures of prisoner abuse are not streaming out of Iraq is proof enough that abuse like that continues. Thats wonderful logic.

Yes, I believe Rumsfeld approved of the torture tactics.  Evidently, the same tactics are said to have been used in Guantnamo first. 

And you misunderstood what I was saying.  In any case, we'll just have to wait to hear what those who will come out of Abu Ghraib - if they ever do - have to say about the torture practices.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2006 at 06:40

Arabs and Iranians never been good soldiers during the long history. My Arab and Iranian brothers don't get upsad to me  but it is true. In ancient times Persia conquered all Anatolia  and reached to dardanelles. They crossed the Straits and entered to Macedonia. On Termophil they were beaten by 10000 greeks. Their armada was burned in Salamis Bay. Later Alexander defeated a huge Persian army and conquered all Persia. His army was only 1o ooo. From that that time Persia was erased from the history until Riza Shah Pehlevi's rule in 1920's. Until Pehlevi Diynastie Persia was ruled by Turks. This means that Iran/Persia is not fighting more then 2000 years. The army of Pehlevi was Marionettes, puppets. The generals and officers fled in one night to EU or USA or Turkey when Ayetullahs took the contol over in Iran. The Ayetullahs killed all officers and NCOs of Pehlevi Army. An army needs skilled officers and NCOs. Iran can have atomic bombs. But there must be courage to finger the bottom. Only religion, belief is not enough, knowledge, skill, training is very important. A soldier learns soldiering in the trenches. One borns to be soldier.

On the other hand  I can write the same story for Araps. At neginning of Islamic Era they were good soldiers. They conquered whole world. They even conquered after hard and fierce fights Turkistan. After Turks accepted Islam. Persians and Araps were erased from the history. The new Lords were the Turks. Turks never took Araps into their army. During the WW! Turks made a mistake taking the Araps into Army. The Arap regiments  in Iraq and Palastine battles fought worse. They coused a breakdown in the Turkish defences.

Soldiereing is not playing in the childrens sand garden. It is a matter of menship.

Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2006 at 06:51

That's an opinion I respect, but not necessarily agree with.  There's nothing to get upset about, of course.  Thank you for your perception.

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2006 at 11:02

Tosun SaraI your analysis isnt accurat and biased.

Turk reached power when both arab and persian were weak, they got weak from the same reasons how strong empires got weak which is BAD managment which means Bad rulers with bad generals and bad policy ...etc.

Turks are no different from Persians and Arabs , they had their time on that seat and eventually lost it. again for the same reasons.

---------------------

about the topic

there were many great efforts made by Arabs specially the north africans like the Algerians and the Lybians in their ressistance against the European occupiers.

about the wars,

Each war of the Last century Arab took part of should be taken as an individual event and see the reasons of the loses.

but in general the common reasons of the loses for the wars against Israel were the

1- Western support (financially and militarly) to Israel,

2- Arabs were under European Occupations and some of them JUST got independent and Had to enter these Wars in support for the palestinians Even thought they didnt recover yet from the occupation periods.

so its nothing to do with Arabs really, these times of our history isnt the best, we are alot but weak, we dont have democracy and our leader dont want to make their countries self sufficient so the West wont get upset and start objecting about not following the "deals" such as military equepment , food ...etc.

History proves at the times when Arabs were self sufficent they Formed and Ruled one of the History's Largest Empires from India to Southern France. an Empire which had an Effect so strong that it still there till today. 

that there are 22 countries in the world has Arabic as their Official language and ruling a land that is larger and richer in its natural recources than the 50 States of the United states of Amercia.

all we need is good rulers not Effected nor controled by the West. which i think would be hard since the west are controling most of the world directly and indirectly. even so i think this wont last for longer time and democracy and Self suffency are not that far.

by self suffecient i mean in the neccessary things, i fully support globalizations and free trad but at the same time NOT be dependent fully on anybody.

so bottom line its matter of timing, the same goes for many countries who Were strong and became weak. a combination of Bad managements.

cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 00:45

Don't you have an objective source to share? How about you look at the situation from an Iraqi perspective, here.

Objective source? You posted a blog, I could post those all day from positive Iraqis or U.S. troops that are in or have returned from Iraq and give their perspectives. I gave you a link to USAID which is trying to make a difference in Iraq and help the people!

Making up for it, how? People are being killed every day. At least Saddam didn't massacre people every single day.

Interesting, you are suspicious of Rumsfeld and not Saddam? Given Saddam Hussein's track record, who knows what kind of killing he did behind closed doors every day. Lets take a look again at the murder he is capable of..

The Documental Centre for Human Rights in Iraq has compiled documentation on over 600,000 civilian executions in Iraq. Human Rights Watch reports that in one operation alone, the Anfal, Saddam killed 100,000 Kurdish Iraqis. Another 500,000 are estimated to have died in Saddam's needless war with Iran. Coldly taken as a daily average for the 24 years of Saddam's reign, these numbers give us a horrifying picture of between 70 and 125 civilian deaths per day for every one of Saddam's 8,000-odd days in power.

Going by that the killing has decreased.

Ofcourse the murder we hear of today in Iraq is not being done by American soldiers but by the warriors that you're so proud of but whats the difference,right?

There werent frequent suicide attacks under Saddam but does that mean that the people were any happier? Look to North Korea, is the lack of insurgents a testament to the quality of life there or the police state they live in?

Give Iraq time, it may turn into the envy of the Arab world.

And of course the US went to war ignoring the UN's opposition to a military resolution. The whole world was not as dumb to buy the WMDs lie. It may have deceived your citizens, but not the whole world.

The authority to act was there. The whole world, like the UN, France, Germany and Russia?

Yes, I believe Rumsfeld approved of the torture tactics. Evidently, the same tactics are said to have been used in Guantnamo first.

No, Guantanamo and Abu Ghraib are completely different. Please provide information where Rumsfeld approved of what happened at Abu Ghraib.

Super Goat (^_^) View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Super Goat (^_^) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 03:12
The Arap regiments  in Iraq and Palastine battles fought worse. They coused a breakdown in the Turkish defences.

The logical thing to do would be to place arab troops to the north, as opposed to station them south where they'd fight their own kind.

Check out this article,
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/25781E12-417F-43A7-BD 92-EC91CD62D509.htm

its from aljazeera, so im not sure if it is a credible source, what do you think?

Edited by Super Goat (^_^)
Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 03:42

Don't you have an objective source to share? How about you look at the situation from an Iraqi perspective, here.

Objective source? You posted a blog, I could post those all day from positive Iraqis or U.S. troops that are in or have returned from Iraq and give their perspectives. I gave you a link to USAID which is trying to make a difference in Iraq and help the people!

What positive news from returning soldiers are you willing to provide, cattus? 

You want to tell us about the "troubled soldiers" returning from Iraq?

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/16/national/16stress.html?hp& amp;ex=1103259600&en=76ccd089725f8a3c&ei=5094&pa rtner=homepage

Making up for it, how? People are being killed every day. At least Saddam didn't massacre people every single day.

Interesting, you are suspicious of Rumsfeld and not Saddam? Given Saddam Hussein's track record, who knows what kind of killing he did behind closed doors every day. Lets take a look again at the murder he is capable of..

The Documental Centre for Human Rights in Iraq has compiled documentation on over 600,000 civilian executions in Iraq. Human Rights Watch reports that in one operation alone, the Anfal, Saddam killed 100,000 Kurdish Iraqis. Another 500,000 are estimated to have died in Saddam's needless war with Iran. Coldly taken as a daily average for the 24 years of Saddam's reign, these numbers give us a horrifying picture of between 70 and 125 civilian deaths per day for every one of Saddam's 8,000-odd days in power.

Going by that the killing has decreased.

Ofcourse the murder we hear of today in Iraq is not being done by American soldiers but by the warriors that you're so proud of but whats the difference,right?

There werent frequent suicide attacks under Saddam but does that mean that the people were any happier? Look to North Korea, is the lack of insurgents a testament to the quality of life there or the police state they live in?

Give Iraq time, it may turn into the envy of the Arab world.

I don't know, cattus.  Is it my English, or are you experiencing selective blindness here?  I think we've already established that Saddam was a criminal, even when you still had him as an ally.

And of course the US went to war ignoring the UN's opposition to a military resolution. The whole world was not as dumb to buy the WMDs lie. It may have deceived your citizens, but not the whole world.

The authority to act was there. The whole world, like the UN, France, Germany and Russia?

Who exactly gave you the authority?

And is that the world for you?  No wonder you Americans know nothing about the rest of the world.  Please check a world map.  The world is bigger than that.

Yes, I believe Rumsfeld approved of the torture tactics. Evidently, the same tactics are said to have been used in Guantnamo first.

No, Guantanamo and Abu Ghraib are completely different. Please provide information where Rumsfeld approved of what happened at Abu Ghraib.

Abu Ghraib tactics were first used at Guantanamo.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07 /13/AR2005071302380.html

Rumsfeld approved of Abu Ghraib tactics.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12319090/

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/07/04/1088879370478.h tml

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/07 /04/wtort04.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/07/04/ixnewstop.html

Want more?

cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2006 at 04:34

Rumsfeld approved of Abu Ghraib tactics.

The links above dont say as much. Alot of bold titles followed by the words, "reportedly", "accused" and "alleged". Lets take your latest one which ofcourse is refering to Guantanamo.

Schmidt(the investigator) is quoted under oath as saying he concluded that Rumsfeld did not specifically order the interrogation methods used on Kahtani, but that Rumsfelds approval of broad policies permitted abuses to take place. MSNBC

So what you have is a bunch of broad policies. No direct orders or anything that suggests that he approved of what happened at Abu Ghraib in any sense of the word. You can criticize the policies, but even if someone was under the same policies at Abu Ghraib, went completely out of line and shoved a stick up a prisoner's ass, it is Rumsfeld that ordered it? No

Back to your main point, you implied that this type of abuse is currently going on all over Iraq. Where?

A side note from your article,al-Kahtani that got harsher interrogation at Guantanamo sang like a bird.

The Pentagon has said Kahtani gave interrogators information on Osama bin Ladens health and methods of evading capture, and on al-Qaidas infiltration routes.

One source I read said he was a "treasure trove" of information.

I don't know, cattus. Is it my English, or are you experiencing selective blindness here? I think we've already established that Saddam was a criminal, even when you still had him as an ally.

No Mira, your english is fine. It is your lack of cognitive thinking that I have a problem with. Yes it has been pretty much established that Saddam was/is a criminal. What you have not established is that the U.S. is a criminal and equal to Saddam at that.

Not sure why this is relevant now. Did it bother the U.S. that Saddam was a bad person? Ofcourse it did. Diplomacy and ties can get complicated. You put alot of weight in what Michael Moran says. He makes the point I already have earlier and even says it would be naive to think otherwise. From your source as you say(it actually is yours)..

Yes, the West needed Josef Stalin to defeat Hitler. Yes, there were times during the Cold War when supporting one villain (Cambodias Lon Nol, for instance) would have been better than the alternative (Pol Pot). So yes, there are times when any nation must hold its nose and shake hands with the devil for the long-term good of the planet. MSNBC

Who exactly gave you the authority?

Res. 1441 and the congress of the U.S.

What positive news from returning soldiers are you willing to provide, cattus?

You want to tell us about the "troubled soldiers" returning from Iraq?

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/16/national/16stress.html?hp& amp;ex=1103259600&en=76ccd089725f8a3c&ei=5094&partner=homepa ge

I dont understand why you posted that. I said I could post "those" like Omar's (iraqthemodel). Battle fatigue and stress from war and being far from home happens. That nytimes piece you posted does not negate the good being done, infact it paints a humanistic picture of the soldiers in Iraq unlike the monsters that they should be.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>