Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forgotten Holocaust

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forgotten Holocaust
    Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 13:05

Much is made of the terrible events in Europe during WW II, and rightly so. 11 million people died in the Holocaust and many more millions died in the fighting there.

Less attention is paid to the terrible price the Chinese paid during the 1930s and 40s. During the Rape of Nanjing an estimated 300,000 people were killed over several months, many of them women who were repeatedly raped before being bayoneted. Japanese officiers had competitions to see who could chop off the most Chinese heads. After the Dolittle raid on Japan in 1942, the region where the American flyers landed was treated to heavy reprisals from the Japanese. Over 250,000 Chinese died. Chinese were the only victims of biological warfare during the war. There is no documentation of the effects of this program, but in one instance winds blew the biological material back on the Japanese. Over 1500 died and more than 10,000 were severely sickened. The result against the Chinese must have been equally terrible.

In all over 30 million Chinese probably died during the war.

DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 12:56
My mistake, the title should have read "Ignored Holocaust".
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 02:53
In Western countries, Japanese atrocities are known but have never been really explored in all that much depth for political reasons - things like the maintenance of the Japanese occupational government and its police and officials in South Korea after the war, or maybe more important, the amnesties granted to the top officials involved in Unit 731 in exchange for their research data, some of whom later became quite prominent in Japan and even some Western countries in politics, academia, business, and scientific circles. So, the atrocities are mentioned and known but never really explored in all that much detail. We're taught in school about the Rape of Nanking, but only in passing, and the rest is really glossed over.

That's not the only reason though - the Holocaust occurred in Western nations so naturally more attention is paid to it. Also the numbers are alot lower (not that I think that really matters, but still).
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 12:50
The German Holocaust was also much more systematic, whereas the Japanese one was more like a long string a massacres.  There's something more disturbing about bureaucratized genocide to many people.
Member of IAEA
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 15:31

Originally posted by Genghis

The German Holocaust was also much more systematic, whereas the Japanese one was more like a long string a massacres.  There's something more disturbing about bureaucratized genocide to many people.

I find the press coverage in Japan of officiers competing to see who could chop off the most Chinese heads pretty disturbing, but I know what you mean.

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 17:40
Yes, even thought head chopping contests are vile, it isn't that surprising or novel to see soldiers indulge in orgies of violence.  We've seen that since the dawn of history.  There is something new and sinister about someone putting on a suit, going to work, and calmly filling out the paperwork needed to kill thousands of people while they sip on their morning cup of coffee.
Member of IAEA
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2006 at 17:24
so? how many Chinese did Mao kill? 40-70 millions? who cares for Japanese...
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2006 at 21:17

It might not be a case of universal ignorance if that is what u mean. it is more likely an issue of relevance in the global media which is by large dominated by western media conglomerates.

it would be for the chinese to bring to light the enormity of the disaster, to make it relevant today.

DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2006 at 21:56

Originally posted by Temujin

so? how many Chinese did Mao kill? 40-70 millions? who cares for Japanese...

The Chinese killed by the Japanese are still dead, the one doesn't nullify the other. I think more attention needs to be paid to the true nature of Mao too.

DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2006 at 21:58
Originally posted by malizai_

It might not be a case of universal ignorance if that is what u mean. it is more likely an issue of relevance in the global media which is by large dominated by western media conglomerates.

it would be for the chinese to bring to light the enormity of the disaster, to make it relevant today.

I agree about the media, for a lot of years it wasn't PC to talk about the Chinese deaths.

mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2006 at 22:48
Why forgotten?

those who matter know of it...those who dont know dont matter.
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2006 at 12:48

Originally posted by mamikon

Why forgotten?

those who matter know of it...those who dont know dont matter.

Not really forgotten, more like Ignored for political and cultural reasons.

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2006 at 13:53
well, you have to considder that the Chinese are a numerous people and where there are many people, a lot of them will perish. North Africa was a major war theater but with hardly any civilian casualties, but i doubt it is because Germans considdered Lybians as part of the Aryan race but rather because North Africa is sparsely populated....
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 15:54
Does being a member of a large national population reduce the value of an individuals life? For the Chinese killed by the Japanese it was a personal experience, I don't think it was any less terrible because they knew that millions of other Chinese were dying too. Especially the ones killed by biological agents.

Edited by DukeC
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 16:33

but you were talking of a genocide.

Originally posted by DukeC

Does being a member of a large national population reduce the value of an individuals life?

for the Chinese, i think yes. Maoism, Confuzianism and Human-Wave tactics come into mind....

DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 16:42

Originally posted by Temujin

for the Chinese, i think yes. Maoism, Confuzianism and Human-Wave tactics come into mind....

Good point, I'm looking at it from a western perspective.

lennel View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote lennel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2006 at 18:13

I recall hearing that Chinese actually flooded the Nazi embassy to try to escape the Japanese.

The German holocaust probably garners more attention because of its; size, meticulity and the fact that this is an advanced first world nation.  Japan was too, but Germany had a longer standing history of relative tolerance, something that Japan didn't.

Edited by lennel
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2006 at 07:41

The west tend to ignore genocide in third world countries.

while we are bussy writing here, thousends of Darpur citizens are killed by Sudanise soldiers and militiamen, much like the way the Japanese killed thier Chinese victims. No one realy cares.

But, if a single European will take a part in the dispute, it"ll be all over the Media.

DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2006 at 14:54
Originally posted by zibi

The west tend to ignore genocide in third world countries.

while we are bussy writing here, thousends of Darpur citizens are killed by Sudanise soldiers and militiamen, much like the way the Japanese killed thier Chinese victims. No one realy cares.

But, if a single European will take a part in the dispute, it"ll be all over the Media.

Sad, but true.

Renegade View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Renegade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 12:58
I'm Chinese and I totally agree with zibi
"I kill a few so that many may live."

- Sam Fisher
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>