Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stanislaw Lem dies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stanislaw Lem dies
    Posted: 28-Mar-2006 at 13:08

The world lost a great author and an original thinker.

Cheshch Lem, maybe we'll meet you again when we get to Solaris!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4851496.stm

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2006 at 16:43

I loved him as a writter but i loved him even more as an esseist and futurolog. Some of his books were SF and some werent. I liked his "Star Diaries", "Ivestigation" and "Hospital of Transfiguration".

I consider his leaving as personal lost. He was often in Polish TV talking about future, i was use to watch him everytime i had a chance. Maybe now he talks with his archenemy, american writter Philip K Dick who stated that such person - Lem - does not exist.

"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2006 at 17:03

You are lucky that you could read him in his language. I love many of his books, but Invincible is the book that defines the sf genre for me. 

Lem liked Philip K Dick actually. PKD wrote that because he was sort of paranoid. He thought the FBI was after him and there comes someone called Lem from beyond the Iron Curtain and calls him the only real SF author in the West.

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2006 at 17:21
Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

You are lucky that you could read him in his language.

I have never think about it. I got no idea how did Lem sound in different languages. In Polish he was brillant. In other languages its all about good and bad translators.

Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

Lem liked Philip K Dick actually. PKD wrote that because he was sort of paranoid. He thought the FBI was after him and there comes someone called Lem from beyond the Iron Curtain and calls him the only real SF author in the West.

i know, i wanted to say that Dick considered Lem as an archenemy. Actually i like both of them. I guess Asimov didnt like Lem much too because once Lem used mathematic logic equaling to show that Asimov's "rights of robotics" are not logic, have no sence and are contradictory.

"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2006 at 17:43

Luckily Lem has a superb translator into English, Michael Kandel. There are others but Kandel is phenomenally good. Into Turkish, his books are translated from English, French or German, unfortunately. Some translators consult two languages, German and English, for instance. But there are no direct Polish-Turkish translations, AFAIK.  

I like PKD too. With Lem and PKD, people who like one usually like the other as well.

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2006 at 17:44

ABOUT LEM

from

http://www.lem.pl/english/main.htm

Lem's crude, insulting and downright ignorant attacks on American science fiction writers went too far too fast and alienated everyone.

Philip K Dick

Why was Stanislaw Lem expelled from the SFWA (Science Fiction Writers of America)  in 1976?

The following quote from J. Madison Davis' book on Stanislaw Lem gives an answer to your question:

Lem has always been critical of most science fiction, which he considers ill thought out, poorly written, and interested more in adventure that ideas or new literary forms.  (...) Those opinions provoked an unpleasant debade in the SFWA [the "Lem affair"].  Philip Jos Farmer and others were incensed by Lem's comments (...) and eventually brought about the removal of the honorary membership(...).  Other members, such as Ursula K. Le Guin, then protested the removal (...) and the SFWA then offered Lem a regular membership, which he, of course, refused in 1976.  Asked later about the "affair," he remarked, that his opinions  of the state of science fiction were already known when he was offered an honorary membership (...).  He also added he harboured no ill feelings towards the SFWA or U.S. writers in particular, "...but it would be a lie to say the whole incident has enlarged my respect for SF writers".

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2006 at 17:47

And the comment on one of my favourite books of LEM

THE STAR DIARIES:

New York: Avon Books, 1977 ISBN 0-380-01812-8

This is Lem in his high comic mode. If The Cyberiad is a collection of SF folktales, The Star Diaries is a collection of SF tall tales, fish stories from outer space. Some are just light entertainment; some are satirical fables; all are brilliant. Most of them were written in the fifties, but some appeared later, as described in translator Kandel's afterword.

They're all stories about (and told by) Lem's perennial comic hero, Ijon Tichy. He is a cheerful, nonchalant space pilot who is fond of hanging his wet spacesuit out the porthole to dry. He's seemingly capable of surviving the most astounding ordeals, from being disintegrated into his constituent elements to being endlessly reduplicated in a time loop, so that he ends up arguing on Friday with his previous self from Thursday about which one of them gets the spacesuit that he needs to wear on Saturday, not to mention which day of the week stole the chocolate.

In another story, he travels to the 27th century (recruited by his future self, somewhat in the manner of Heinlein's "All You Zombies") to take control of a history-repair agency, whose time-traveling agents inadvertently cause all of the disasters in human history. Larger accidents result in the asteroid belt and the craters on the Moon.

In the most overtly satirical story of the lot, Tichy has to escape from a planet whose government has legislated that all of its inhabitants shall henceforth breathe underwater. The citizens sing patriotic anthems about fish and humidity, and learn that in a future paradise all shall become "gwats" and "sunkers," idealized water-breathing forms. Debates rage over whether gurgling is allowed. It amazes me that that one got published, given the place and the era (Poland in the 1950s). The longest and latest-written is a surprisingly somber meditation on the social dangers of unlimited bodily self-modification.

Tichy's good friend, the prolific inventor and astrozoologist Prof. Tarantoga (who, "out of concern for our youngest citizens, whom parents on occasion do leave in the house alone...devised lighters that will not light" which "are now mass-produced on Earth,") supplies two introductions. Lem illustrates some of the stories with amusing pen-and-ink doodles, some of which reveal his training in skeletal anatomy. My favorite illustration shows a tiny planet festooned with signs reading DON'T LEAN OUT in four languages, like all of the trains in Europe.

Post Reply Post Reply