Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Communism or Capitalism

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Online Status: Offline
  Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Communism or Capitalism
    Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 03:38
Originally posted by R_AK47

If your country adopted communism you would all become uneducated, poor people. Communism doesn't help less fortunate members of society, it brings down everyone else making everyone into poor unfortunate people (I guess they are somewhat equal, equally poor). Regarding these people that you speak of that do not have the qualities for a "stable job". Do you really think they would become educated/productive members of society under communism? I can assure you that they would not, they would continue to be criminals (people rarely change). Perhaps if you educated them though, they would become better smarter criminals, though I don't see how that benefits anyone.

Communism is, actually, pretty good at educating populations , deterring crime (almost nonexistant in the old Soviet Union, except for a black market in things like fresh butter and Levis jeans), and taking agrarian economies to an industrial phase. But once it gets there, it starts to stagnate. Employment does actually tend to be high in communist economies, the working class does do fairly well - the problem is that it doesn't tend to develop much of a consumerist middle class.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 05:16
Originally posted by edgewaters

Communism is, actually, pretty good at educating populations , deterring crime (almost nonexistant in the old Soviet Union, except for a black market in things like fresh butter and Levis jeans), and taking agrarian economies to an industrial phase. But once it gets there, it starts to stagnate. Employment does actually tend to be high in communist economies, the working class does do fairly well - the problem is that it doesn't tend to develop much of a consumerist middle class.

So in other words, communism is useful in building up a country, but capitialism is more useful once you've got there? Is it just me or does that sound a lot like the middle kingdom?
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 05:32
Originally posted by Genghis

Originally posted by Leonidas

capitalism with communist based ethics enshrined into law.

What do you mean? Would that imply social programs and the like?

Sorry genghis, posted and forgot.

mixed economy, european style socail democracy. capitalist and commies would argue its just not purist.

Socail programs/interventions, safety nets and making sure that you cant get tooo rich. Education and health has to be 100% equal and public, all for the sake of a merit based society.

I simply dont like big gaps between top or bottom (but I accept them as natural) nor do I like people getting an easier ride for no other reason that birth.

Edited by Leonidas
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 06:37
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Originally posted by red clay

The Communists claim that they liberated the Russian people. Yet, when the Great Patriotic War began, these same Russians greeted their foreign invaders with tears, with flowers and with enthusiastic hospitality. What can have brought them to the point at which they would greet even Hitler as their saviour and liberator?

-Viktor Suvorov

Reading too much fascist propaganda have you? Those same Russians defeated Nazi Germany, for the loss of, oh, 20 million men.

I am well aware of that, however it is a fact, not propaganda, when the Nazis entered the Ukraine and western regions of soviet union they were at first welcomed as liberators.  If they had been smart enough to have taken advantage of this they would possibly have won the war,  but with the Nazi superior race crap, they blew it.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 07:02

The Communists claim that they liberated the Russian people. Yet, when the Great Patriotic War began, these same Russians greeted their foreign invaders with tears, with flowers and with enthusiastic hospitality. What can have brought them to the point at which they would greet even Hitler as their saviour and liberator?

-Viktor Suvorov

Reading too much fascist propaganda have you? Those same Russians defeated Nazi Germany, for the loss of, oh, 20 million men.

I am well aware of that, however it is a fact, not propaganda, when the Nazis entered the Ukraine and western regions of soviet union they were at first welcomed as liberators.  If they had been smart enough to have taken advantage of this they would possibly have won the war,  but with the Nazi superior race crap, they blew it.

You mean the Germans were welcomed by the Balts and the western-Ukranians, but not by the Russians. Well thats not surprising. I can't imagine that peoples conqured by the Russians would be particularly friendly to the Russians, and many would welcome anyone who would help them fight the Russians.
It cannot however be extended to a communist capitalist debate because "these same Russians" were in fact Livs Lithuanians, Ukranians, Poles etc etc.
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 10:26

Originally posted by Leonidas

making sure that you cant get tooo rich

So, when I'm an engineer and say I develop something really useful, you're going to tell me I can't make too much money off of it?

If you make your money legally, then no one has the right to say you're too rich.  How can you morally justify taking my money because I happened to be a shrewd investor or a gifted designer.

Or what if I'm a musician and I become incredibly popular?  How would taking my money be justified?  Some of the greatest crimes this century have been committed using the rationale "some people have too much money".

Edited by Genghis
Member of IAEA
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 10:30

Originally posted by edgewaters

deterring crime (almost nonexistant in the old Soviet Union, except for a black market in things like fresh butter and Levis jeans).

And white collar crimes like bribery, even though that is worse now, and always has been in Russia.

Edited by Genghis
Member of IAEA
R_AK47 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote R_AK47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 10:37
Deterring crime has nothing to do with communism itself.  Crime deterence is caused by utilizing harsh punishments for offenders and giving the police greater search and seizure powers.  The USA (under capitalism) could theoretically adopt these policies and have the same results.  Communism has nothing to do with it.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 10:50

The Communists
claim
that they liberated the Russian people. Yet, when the
Great Patriotic
War began, these same Russians greeted their
foreign invaders with
tears, with flowers and with enthusiastic hospitality.
What can have
brought them to the point at which they would greet
even Hitler as
their saviour and liberator?
<t/t>
<t>
<t>
</t/ttable cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2"
align="right"ttr>
<td/td>
<td/td>
<td>x.asp?QUOTE_ID=3744"></td/tr/t/table>
<font
face="verdana,arial,helvetica">-/www.quoteland.com/author.asp?AUTHOR_ID=1706
">[COLOR="#0000ff">Viktor
Suvorov[/COLOR">

Reading too much fascist propaganda
have you? Those same Russians defeated Nazi
Germany, for the loss of, oh, 20 million
men.

I am well aware of that, however it
is a fact, not propaganda,when the Nazis entered
the Ukraine and
western regions of soviet union they were at first
welcomed as
liberators. If they had been smart enough to have
taken advantage
of this they would possibly have won the war, but
with the Nazi
superior race crap, they blew it.

You mean the Germans were welcomed by the Balts
and the
western-Ukranians, but not by the Russians. Well
thats not surprising.
I can't imagine that peoples conqured by the
Russians would be
particularly friendly to the Russians, and many would
welcome anyone
who would help them fight the Russians.
It cannot however be extended to a communist
capitalist debate because
"these same Russians" were in fact Livs
Lithuanians, Ukranians, Poles
etc etc.

Omar-
If you look carefully at my original post you'll see it is
a Quote from a former soviet army intell officer,
Viktor Sourov,   They were his words, not mine, he is
also a russian.   
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 10:57
Originally posted by R_AK47

Deterring crime has nothing to do with communism itself. Crime deterence is caused by utilizing harsh punishments for offenders and giving the police greater search and seizure powers. The USA (under capitalism) could theoretically adopt these policies and have the same results. Communism has nothing to do with it.

That's only partially true. Communism was a different system - there were fewer destitute people, and the average level of education was higher. As mentioned, the incarceration rate and average duration of sentences in the US was much higher than in the Soviet Union by the 80s, so it is not so much a matter of tougher enforcement.
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 14:28
The education wasn't much worse or any. Why really should it have been. Only you would have to study "history", not history. The amazing achievements of the the Soviet Union in EVERY damn field possible. The eternal desire of peace that the USSR so ever wanted was always blocked by imperialist warmongering.
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 17:10

Originally posted by Kalevipoeg

The education wasn't much worse or any. Why really should it have been. Only you would have to study "history", not history. The amazing achievements of the the Soviet Union in EVERY damn field possible. The eternal desire of peace that the USSR so ever wanted was always blocked by imperialist warmongering.

That sounds like it would get old very fast

Member of IAEA
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 17:19
Luckily i don't have to know every mechanical part of an AK-47 or how to become a proud member of the "free unity of all the bretherin nations of the USSR".
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 19:36

"free unity of all the bretherin nations of the USSR"

Wow, there are too many inherent lies in that statement to count.

Member of IAEA
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 20:28
Originally posted by RedClay

Omar-
If you look carefully at my original post you'll see it is
a Quote from a former soviet army intell officer,
Viktor Sourov,   They were his words, not mine, he is
also a russian. 

Oh, sorry. In that case I direct my comments to Viktor.
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2006 at 00:24

The education wasn't much worse or any. Why really should it have been.
Only you would have to study "history", not history. The amazing achievements of the the Soviet Union in EVERY damn field possible. The eternal desire of peace that the USSR so ever wanted was always blocked by imperialist warmongering.

It was the Cold War ... you can argue vice-versa about the superpowers as far as warmongering goes. "The eternal desire of peace that the USA so ever wanted was always blocked by communist warmongering," etc. Most of it works both ways and it was more a product of the Cold War itself, than with the political systems of the combatants.

As far as Soviet achievements, there were indeed many. They made alot of advances in physics and chemistry (check the names on your periodic table), and quite a few in the applied sciences and engineering. The Soviets were able to direct alot of the economy towards research in expensive advances that would have little immediate commercial benefit, but were still crucial to technological advancement. On the other hand, elements that were left neglected by the planners suffered a great deal (eg computers, which the planners felt had only limited potential).
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2006 at 03:09
I am not discrediting any achievments of the Russian or Soviet culture and science, they were indeed great. But at the same time also greatly overrated in the eyes of the USSR public. US sucks too, but why get aggitated about my truthful statement? It is not like i am making the US look great and USSR not due to prejudice.
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2006 at 08:10

I am not discrediting any achievments of the Russian or Soviet culture and science, they were indeed great. But at the same time also greatly overrated in the eyes of the USSR public. US sucks too, but why get aggitated about my truthful statement? It is not like i am making the US look great and USSR not due to prejudice.

We all know whom you love and who you hate. I have never seen you rush to attack Americans with sarcastic comments, something you do whenever you can when USSR is the subject. So your claims of neutrality are a joke.

Please stop pretending to be anti-American or left-wing, and show your real face.

Apples n Oranges View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Apples n Oranges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2006 at 08:26
Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

We all know whom you love and who you hate. I have never seen you rush to attack Americans with sarcastic comments, something you do whenever you can when USSR is the subject. So your claims of neutrality are a joke.

Please stop pretending to be anti-American or left-wing, and show your real face.

I agree, USSR like all great empires had its faults.It also contributed a lot to the world.India, as long as USSR existed, leaned towards it.As an Indian I guess I would favour USSR over USA [but USSR is part of history now].

USA is the greatest empire in world today.Indian-US relations are warming up.I don't support US attack on Iraq and the continued presence of US troops in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Edited by Apples n Oranges
finikis View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote finikis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2006 at 12:28
Originally posted by Spartakus

Both.Communism with limited Capitalism.

Both.Capitalism with limited Communism.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>