Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Historical Trivia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Historical Trivia
    Posted: 10-Apr-2006 at 00:31
Because Louis14 had all teeth pulled, he often had loose bowels.
Louis14 was getting roundworms.
Stalin and Mussolini and Hitler were short men.
Men must play naked in the ancient Olympics. Women couldn't join and see.
Boycott was a man's name originally.
When Turkey besieged Viena, coffee came to Europe and croissants were made first.
Tins were made by Napoleon first.
FrederickII, who was an emperor of the Holy Roman Empire, could speak Arabic.
The home of corn, tomato, potato, peanut, and cacao were the American continent.
Kamehameha went to Japan to give Hawaii.
Jesus was a Jew.
Michelangelo and Leonard da Vinci hated each other.
Mozart proposed to Marie Antoinette in his childhood.
Yang-kuei-fei was an Iranian fat woman.
Cleopatra was a Greek.
In the age of the ancient Roman, there was a man who bought the place of emperor at auction. But he was killed shortly.
After the Olympics were held in London, the length of marathon became 42,195km.
The Eiffel tower wGerman ace pilot "Adolf Gaarand" was such a heavy smoker that he had the only fighter of Luftwaffe equipped with a cigarett lighter.
"Russia" derives from "Russ" a tribe of Viking.
Long long ago a Chinese general buried 200 thousands prisoners, so a part of their bones sometimes appear at present.
The width of rail is the length of Stephenson's stick.
Before the invention of paper, Europeans wrote characters on sheepskins, and Chinese did on bamboo.
The SAS succeeded in stealing a manual of the newest Russian tank to get its information in the period of the Cold War. But when a French officer applied for visiting to watch the tank afterweard, he was permitted easily.
The models of C3P0 and R2D2 are Japanese characters of Kurosawa movie.
as planned to remove after world expo.
Lucas was going to use classical music as the theme song of Star Wars.

Add your trivia.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2006 at 05:53
Spanish captain Magellan was from Portugal.
Spanish captain Columbus was from Genoa.
Lincoln was assassined by gun in 1863 and Kennedy was murdered by gun some 100 years later(1865). Vice-president whose name is Johnson succeeded to president in both cases.

Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2006 at 10:22
Originally posted by FrankFry

Spanish captain Columbus was from Portugal.

Apples n Oranges View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Apples n Oranges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2006 at 10:26

Originally posted by Frederick Roger

Spanish captain Columbus was from Portugal.

It was Basque sailors who made up the bulk of Columbus's crew.

white dragon View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote white dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2006 at 12:34

After the Olympics were held in London, the length of marathon became 42,195km.

do you mean meters? that seems a little far...
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Apples n Oranges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2006 at 13:06
Sir Thomas Crapper, attributed to inventing the flush toilet, was a nephew of Queen Elizabeth.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2006 at 19:11
Columbus was born in Genoa and emigrated to Lisbon afterwards.

Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 00:44

...Mozart proposed to Marie Antoinette in his childhood... 

Really?  Talk about a what if.

The battle of Kursk (1943) was the largest battle in history.

"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 05:29

No one knows where he was born.....
Vae victis!
fastspawn View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote fastspawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 05:39
some of the things are not entirely true.

Mozart proposed to Marie Antoinette when he was a child. Actually what happened was that Mozart was playing for the court of Maria Theresa, and Maria Theresa asked Mozart what he would like. Thus Mozart replied he would like to marry Marie Antoinette. So it was hardly a serious matter.

And Kursk is the largest tank battle not the largest battle in history.

I don't know where u got the information about Yang Gui Fei being an Iranian from. She was from Yongle, but i do admit, Tang Dynasty at that time was very cosmopolitan so it is possible.
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Apples n Oranges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 06:43

It may be fiction.

A Day in the Life of a Peasant

Medieval cat torture! Strange religions! Self-flagellation! All this and more

Dear Diary,

Woke up this morning. Little Jacques lost some more teeth in the evening; so did I. Marie has dysentery, the less said about that, the better. Julianne continues to breast-feed Robert, even though he's four years old [Extended breast feeding lowers fertility, at the cost of introducing some Freudian issues. -HH]. Michel showed up this morning with my spade; he'd buried four of his plague-stricken children himself. He was unable to hire gravediggers as they won't bury diseased dead. I'm not sure I want my spade back.

Went to town. Left seven-year-old Jacques to borrow one of Lord Foix's oxen and plow the field. He's a tough little bugger. Saw a large party, maybe 300, striding through town, beating themselves with iron-studded leather whips in front of sobbing townspeople. Pretty strange bunch. They must have a lot of free time. [The flagellants, as they were later called, felt corrupt clergy could no longer save mankind and decided self-abuse was the proper way to absolve humanity's sins. Tuchman tells us "they were forbidden to bathe, shave, change their clothes, sleep in beds, talk or have intercourse..." without their leader's permission. "Evidently this was not withheld, since the flagellants were later charged with orgies in which whipping was combined with sex." While originally possessing religious fervor, the flagellants grew secular and attempted to usurp power from the Church. Failing that, they settled for slaughtering some 10,000 Jews before France's Philip VI hanged and beheaded them. -HH] After the crowd moved through, saw neighbor Jean, covered with red rashes, staring openmouthed at the sky, talking about demons, frogs, and wildflowers. He looks different. His wife tells me his left arm fell off last week [Jean has St. Anthony's Fire, a poisoning caused by the ergot fungus in rye flour kept over winter. Ergot contaminates grains in the field, causes wild hallucinations, blood vessel constriction and limb loss and is still a threat to modern agriculture. -HH].

A Beheading from Jean Froissart's Chronicles
A Beheading from Jean Froissart's Chronicles

Ran into friends Charles, Philip, and Gaston in the center of a large crowd, playing the village's favorite game with Marat's cat. They had their hands tied behind their backs, and they were trying to beat it to death with their heads. It was nailed to the post in the middle of town, and Guillaume played his trumpet. Gaston had his eye put out by the cat. After a few beers it was an awfully good laugh. He bit its paw off, and finally killed it. Well done, fellows. [Tuchman refers us to Origo's Merchant of Prato, which details this and other horrific peasant games. - HH] Smells pretty bad in town, and I don't think it's just the decapitated bodies from last week's inquisition. Seems like the last time I was in town it was to watch old Louis get flogged, hanged and quartered for something or other. [In 1327, Avignon's public sanitation was so deficient that the stench forced historian Petrarch to move out to nearby Vaucluse "to prolong my life." It also caused a visiting ambassador from Aragon to faint. In addition, Tuchman notes that "torture was authorized by the Church... in everyday life passersby saw some criminal flogged... passed corpses hanging on the gibbet and decapitated heads and quartered bodies impaled on stakes in the city walls." -HH].

Game over, we went to church. Before Jean went mad, he had organized an Indignation Meeting for tonight, and we met in the cemetery. The nobles have been treating us rather poorly[While the codes of chivalry prohibited killing unarmed men, knights reasoned peasants did not abide by the codes and were thus fair game. Pillage, rape, and slaughter by local nobility were common. -HH]. What's more, they have contributed to the capture of our beloved king. We found out last week that some local knights fled Jean II while fighting the English in Poitiers without actually fighting. Cowards. [Jean II was captured in the Battle of Poitiers against Charles of Navarre in 1358. -HH] We all got pretty riled up, went to Lord Foix's castle, raped then killed his wife and daughter, saving him for last, and then burned the castle. I guess Foix won't get his ox back. It was pretty nuts. Went home, drank a gallon of ale, and went to bed. Long day.

[Our protagonist had joined a movement started in 1358 that eventually encompassed tens of thousands of peasants in France who pillaged and raided cowardly nobility. However, a large garrison of nobles eventually met the peasants in Meaux and killed a bunch of them, giving new license to the slaughter of commoners, and the original order was swiftly returned. Because this site is made in America, where we believe in the happy ending, our hero survived the retribution of the nobles and the Plague and died of pneumonia at the ripe age of 35. -HH]

http://www.historyhouse.com/in_history/peasant/

Edited by Apples n Oranges
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 15:58
My apologies, thanks for pointing that out fastspawn.  I forgot about Stalingrad, I thought it was smaller.

Edited by Justinian
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 21:28
Thank you for your replies!

Originally posted by fastspawn

And Kursk is the largest tank battle not the largest battle in history.

I don't know where u got the information about Yang Gui Fei being an Iranian from. She was from Yongle, but i do admit, Tang Dynasty at that time was very cosmopolitan so it is possible.

was born in China certaily. But according to the describtion of the very age, she had clear-cut features and had strong body odor. It is said that probably she was Iranian(Sogdian) rather than pure Chinese. Really at that time many Chinese army consisited of Iranian and Turkish soliers, and the rebellion(755) was led by a Iranian general.
I hear the largest tank battle is the Middle Eastern War.

Trivia
Long long ago a Chinese general pushed 200 thousands prisoners over the cliff to die.
The population of Turkish in the middle Asia is larger than that of Turkish in Anatolia.

Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 22:25

Yang-kuei-fei was an Iranian fat woman.

she was part of the sassanid royal family who had to flee the arabs.

read this if you want to know more about the last sassanid shah and china

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10777&am p;PN=1

Edited by Iranian41ife
"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 04:55
Emperor Anastasius I of Byzantium (491-518) had one eye which was blue and the other which was dark. He was nonetheless regarded as being an exceptionally handsome man, even in old age.
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Apples n Oranges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 06:32
During World War II, a German U-boat was sunk by a truck. The U-boat in question attacked a convoy in the Atlantic and then rose to see the effect. The merchant ship it sank had material strapped to its deck including a fleet of trucks, one of which was thrown in the air by the explosion, landing on the U-boat and breaking its back.
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Quote Digenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 07:41
Originally posted by Exarchus

No one knows where he was born.....

I have read that some claim that he was from greek island of Chios,which was this era under the control of Genoa.
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Apples n Oranges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 17:34
At the height of its power, in 400 BC, the Greek city of Sparta had 25,000 citizens and 500,000 slaves.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 21:17
Tomatoes were thought to be poison at first.
The models of Matryoshka dolls are Japansese dolls.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2006 at 04:48

Originally posted by Apples n Oranges

Sir Thomas Crapper, attributed to inventing the flush toilet, was a nephew of Queen Elizabeth.

Tricky, since he was about 300 years younger than Elizabeth I and 100 years older than Elizabeth II.

Disentangling

a) Crapper didn't invent it, though he improved it.

b) the first patent for one was issued to Alexander Cummings in 1775.

c) the first one on record was installed by one Sir John Harrington in the palace of Queen Elizabeth I who was his godmother.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>