Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why do Arab countries lose wars?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why do Arab countries lose wars?
    Posted: 19-Apr-2006 at 01:13

Does an individual Arab country going to war make it an "Arab" war?

Arab states involved in armed conflicts may not be winning, but look at Arab guerrilla wars; they bring superpowers down to their knees.

Lebanon didn't fight a state-to-state war with Israel, but Hizbullah managed to kick them out not long ago.

America can't win a war in Iraq because of Iraqi resistance.

With all its mighty power, Israel can't fight off the Palestinians.

Let's be realistic.

xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2006 at 04:32
I see we are discussing of modern era only.
In the last 60 years the arab states have indeed lost many wars, but I don't think it's hard to explain why.
The arab countries, and their armies, are young. Israel may seem a young state but it isn't. Israel is a creation of the west, with a lot of support from the west, and a legacy coming from the west. (What I mean is that most Israelis come from Europe, either eastern or western). Israel is a part of Europe in Asia, like crusader state. It's army is a western army.
The arab countries have made a development. Egypt in the war of 1973, although still having the problems of the arab armies, still managed to greatly increase the performance of her army.
And let's not forget, that the equipment of the arab countries can not be compared with that of Israel and USA (+allies).
And at last, I thought that Iraq won the war with Iran. The reason why Iran was so difficult to beat is (according to my limited knowledge) the fact that since Iraq's initial attack failed, Iran's overdouble size tiped the balance. Iran also had a pretty decent army from the Shah's era.
Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2006 at 05:10

Yes, Arab states cannot win against modern armies, because they're not geared up to fight them.  Similiarily, modern armies are not geared up to fight guerrilla wars against Arabs. 

Besides, what kind of wars are you talking about?  The kind where armies drop down rocket bombs from the sky, or send unmanned fighter planes to do that?

edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2006 at 07:22
Originally posted by xristar

The arab countries, and their armies, are young.

I don't think this is really it. Plenty of examples of young armies being quite fearsome, eg ANZAC and Canadian armies in WW2, USA in 1812, Germany in WW1. Look at China, it is an old country but the current state and its military (and military doctrine) is about the same age as most of the Arab states, and it has a large, powerful, and professional army, when the formal PLA was just one year old it managed to secure its objectives in Korea against US and international forces (not a total victory, but it achieved what it set out to do, keep the US far from the Yalu River).

I tend to think Mira is more on the right vein, Arab armies seem to be highly proficient at guerrilla warfare but for some reason do not seem to do well in conventional conflict. It's sensible to develop a guerrilla tradition in their position; no matter how much they developed their conventional forces, they would not be enough to withstand superpowers.

Edited by edgewaters
Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2006 at 18:01

And at last, I thought that Iraq won the war with Iran.

no, the war ended in stalemate, but if we are to pick a winner, it would be iran because 6 years of the war was in iraqi territory, and the war ended in iraqi territory.

but again, the war was ended in stalemate in 1988, however, iraq would have collapsed in a matter of months had the west not helped them.

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Perspolis View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Perspolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2006 at 19:03
Originally posted by Iranian41ife

And at last, I thought that Iraq won the war with Iran.

no, the war ended in stalemate, but if we are to pick a winner, it would be iran because 6 years of the war was in iraqi territory, and the war ended in iraqi territory.

but again, the war was ended in stalemate in 1988, however, iraq would have collapsed in a matter of months had the west not helped them.

A lot of non- iraqi arabs fought at  Iran vs Iraq war for Iraq. arab countries support sadam with bilions of dollers and equipment. If they didn't help Iraq. Iraq had lost  the war  in second year.
Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2006 at 19:11
not only the arab countries,  but all of the western world supported iraq with money, weapons, satellite imagry, etc...
"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2006 at 20:26

Originally posted by Iranian41ife

not only the arab countries,  but all of the western world supported iraq with money, weapons, satellite imagry, etc...

And they still effectively lost the war.

cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2006 at 22:41
Originally posted by Mira

Does an individual Arab country going to war make it an "Arab" war?

Arab states involved in armed conflicts may not be winning, but look at Arab guerrilla wars; they bring superpowers down to their knees.

Lebanon didn't fight a state-to-state war with Israel, but Hizbullah managed to kick them out not long ago.

America can't win a war in Iraq because of Iraqi resistance.

With all its mighty power, Israel can't fight off the Palestinians.

Let's be realistic.

What superpower have Arabs brought down to there knees?

"All" of Israel's mighty power? Yeah, lets be realistic.

Yes, Arab states cannot win against modern armies, because they're not geared up to fight them. Similiarily, modern armies are not geared up to fight guerrilla wars against Arabs.

How is this relative to the thread? Are you conceding that Arabs suck in open warfare?
Are Arabs superior guerrilla fighters to this type from other areas of the world?No
Are Arabs actually good fighters?I would say,yes
Perhaps they havent chosen their enemies wisely?Yes

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2006 at 01:18
First of all, the title to this topic jumps out at me as racist, but i'll forgive you for now.

What i don't think people understand is that the middle eastern countries' customs are shaped by their religion. and i personally support them in their beliefs. the western world has no right to interfere with their beliefs. The military descisions of arab armies can seem crazy at times, yes. As well the wars that arabs lose are the ones fought against the better equipped western world, or other arab countries with a better army. Its no wonder they lose when the forces are outmatched
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2006 at 04:00
Originally posted by edgewaters

The arab countries, and their armies, are young.

I don't think this is really it. Plenty of examples of young armies being quite fearsome, eg ANZAC and Canadian armies in WW2, USA in 1812, Germany in WW1. Look at China, it is an old country but the current state and its military (and military doctrine) is about the same age as most of the Arab states, and it has a large, powerful, and professional army, when the formal PLA was just one year old it managed to secure its objectives in Korea against US and international forces (not a total victory, but it achieved what it set out to do, keep the US far from the Yalu River).

I tend to think Mira is more on the right vein, Arab armies seem to be highly proficient at guerrilla warfare but for some reason do not seem to do well in conventional conflict. It's sensible to develop a guerrilla tradition in their position; no matter how much they developed their conventional forces, they would not be enough to withstand superpowers.

Hmm, you have apoint there.
First of all, the ANZAC was not a young army. The ANZAC came from Oceania, which used to be British colony. They bear the customs of the British.
But indeed, communist China in Korea war was young. I'm not sure how to explain their very good performance in that war. Probably, it is because they had gained enough experience fighting against the nationalists and the Japanese, to not be considered a "young" and unexperienced army. THink, the same goes to Vietnam.

And in 1973 war, Syria almost defeated Israel. She broke the line at Golan, but (at least according to Israelis) Israel threatened with a nuclear attack and the Syrians haulted. Israel gained enough time to reinforce it's positions, and counterattack. So, we can say that in the open field, the Arabs (Syria) won the battle, but it was other factors, beyond the capabilities of the Arab nations that decided the end of this war.
I think that what Arab armies lack (which is pretty much what I meant when I called them "young") is experience. There hasn't been any important war recently in the area, that we could use to see the Arab performance. I think that Egypt for example is capable of waging a good war. For Syria I'm not sure, as Syria is monolithic in her thinking. Iraq, did not have the experience against "good" enemies (Israel). The misuse of airforce during the Gulf war, is a proof to that.
In some years, a more objective view of the recent Iraq war will come out, and I think we'll see that when it comes to the mere infantryman, the Arab is able to compare with the heavily geared, highly trained USA man.
Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2006 at 15:25
Originally posted by cattus

What superpower have Arabs brought down to there knees?

Hmm ..

You're right.  America is not the "superpower" it was.  So let's just say they bring down powerful states down to their knees.

"All" of Israel's mighty power? Yeah, lets be realistic.

A country with such a huge defense expenditure - you'd think they'd win a war easily.  They can't even win a war against their army-less neighbor.

Yes, Arab states cannot win against modern armies, because they're not geared up to fight them. Similiarily, modern armies are not geared up to fight guerrilla wars against Arabs.

How is this relative to the thread? Are you conceding that Arabs suck in open warfare?

Yes.  Arabs can't really fight planes that drop down bombs from the sky.  Arab states are as new as Israel.  Some even gained their independence much later.  Unlike Israel, they didn't have a "Holocaust" issue to exploit the West with and drain tons of money out of it.  They had to pay for all their war technology.  Most importantly, Arabs don't have a "superpower" for an ally.

Arabs suck in your wars, which are all about dropping bombs on innocent civilians to coerce the government into submission.  You can't fight man-to-man, you fight rocket-bombs-dropped-down to men, women, old and young.

Are Arabs superior guerrilla fighters to this type from other areas of the world?No

But they're certainly doing an exceptionally good job at it.

Are Arabs actually good fighters?I would say,yes
Perhaps they havent chosen their enemies wisely?Yes

Or maybe those who are fighting against Arab guerrilla warriors haven't made intelligent choices themselves.

Edited by Mira
Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2006 at 15:36
Originally posted by Gerenalissimus Sinclair

First of all, the title to this topic jumps out at me as racist, but i'll forgive you for now.

What i don't think people understand is that the middle eastern countries' customs are shaped by their religion. and i personally support them in their beliefs. the western world has no right to interfere with their beliefs. The military descisions of arab armies can seem crazy at times, yes. As well the wars that arabs lose are the ones fought against the better equipped western world, or other arab countries with a better army. Its no wonder they lose when the forces are outmatched

Hmm .. Yeah, it's a bit complicated.  People have done studies on this subject.  It's not just the lack of war technology; there's also the class-issue in the army hierarchy.  The foolish pride, and who takes orders from who and what not.  Arabs are very disorganized - and we know that about ourselves.
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2006 at 22:25
Tweeked the title a little.

You're right. America is not the "superpower" it was. So let's just say they bring down powerful states down to their knees.

The U.S. is the only "superpower" in the world and still capable of projecting power like no other entity has ever had the ability to. My state of Washington is hardly on its knees and stronger than ever. I see hard working Arabs contribute to this every day.

A country with such a huge defense expenditure - you'd think they'd win a war easily. They can't even win a war against their army-less neighbor.

You and I both know that if Israel had the will, they could wipe-out every last "Palestinian" in a day. Funny, 4.5 million Jews in tiny Israel surrounded by 300 million Arabs and they cannot take care of business.

cattus wrote:

Mira wrote:
But they're certainly doing an exceptionally good job at it.

Im glad you are proud of them.
Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2006 at 03:33

The U.S. is the only "superpower" in the world and still capable of projecting power like no other entity has ever had the ability to. My state of Washington is hardly on its knees and stronger than ever. I see hard working Arabs contribute to this every day.

The only superpower that has had a major attack at home, you mean.

You seem very proud of your state.  Good for you.  I just hope you're not as proud of the fact that your state is responsible for the torturing and killing of so many innocents around the world, and labeling them "collateral damage."

A country with such a huge defense expenditure - you'd think they'd win a war easily. They can't even win a war against their army-less neighbor.

You and I both know that if Israel had the will, they could wipe-out every last "Palestinian" in a day. Funny, 4.5 million Jews in tiny Israel surrounded by 300 million Arabs and they cannot take care of business.

I don't think Arab countries have anything like the Dimona reactor, or an ally, as I said, with a veto right.  But why should Arabs take any action anyway?  Even with all the checkpoints, walls and high security, Palestinians are still "hitting at home."

If Israel was able to wipe-out all Palestinians, they would have done so long time ago.
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2006 at 05:08

Yeah, thats the one Mira. Is it on its knees?

You seem very proud of your state. Good for you. I just hope you're not as proud of the fact that your state is responsible for the torturing and killing of so many innocents around the world, and labeling them "collateral damage."

Unlike your glorified warriors which are killing innocents around the world, innocents that are the specific targeting in the first place.

If Israel was able to wipe-out all Palestinians, they would have done so long time ago.

If you think Israel lacks the ability but has the desire to wipe out all the Palestinians as the Palestinians or Hamas themself actually do, then I think your hijab or whatever is currently on your head is a little too tight.
Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2006 at 05:30

Yeah, thats the one Mira. Is it on its knees?

I don't know how else you'd explain the fact that they can't control a country half the size of the US, and a bunch of "insurgents."  They're even making plans to pull out.

You seem very proud of your state. Good for you. I just hope you're not as proud of the fact that your state is responsible for the torturing and killing of so many innocents around the world, and labeling them "collateral damage."

Unlike your glorified warriors which are killing innocents around the world, innocents that are the specific targeting in the first place.

I think you're the one glorifying a terrorist country.  By your own definition, your country is terrorizing innocents in Afghanistan and Iraq.

And I don't think "collateral damage" is equivalent to "specific target."  Or maybe it is - one concept used before you drop the bomb, and the other right after you hold a press conference.

If you think Israel lacks the ability but has the desire to wipe out all the Palestinians as the Palestinians or Hamas themself actually do, then I think your hijab or whatever is currently on your head is a little too tight.

How interesting to see a mod violating the forum rules.  I find it quite insulting and derogatory of you to say that my hijab is "a little too tight."  I think you're a bit too arrogant.  Believe what you want if it makes you feel better, and keep half-masting your flag at the death of every soldiers.
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2006 at 06:02
I don't think that the USA are on their knee. Their casualties in Iraq are exteremely low. Their only problem is the large amount of money that goes to the army in Iraq, but let's face it, USA have more than enough money.
I could say only that they cannot pull out, even though they would want to, because Iraq became very unstable, and without them it would collapse.
Although I also admire the heroic resistance in Iraq, I'm thinking that perhaps it's best for Iraqis to settle down for a while, until the Americans leave. Because as long the Americans stay their government is bound on them.

Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2006 at 06:08
The resistance will cease to "resist" when the occupation is gone.  We don't hear as much about confrontations between the resistance and non-American troops.  It's always got to do with the "American invaders." 

Europeans are more civilized when it comes to war, I guess.
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2006 at 06:31

Mira,

I personally do not believe Israel has as a purpose to wipe out all Palestinians,but simply to ensure its survival. 20 percent of the citizens of Israel today are of Palestinian origin, if the purpose of Israel was to wipe them out, why would it give them citizenship?

Europeans are more civilized when it comes to war, I guess.

This is simply not true. I hope you are aware of the Frency occupation of Algeria and its war of independence (between 300,000 - 1 million died, 2-3 million were made refugees).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>